Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use scales? page

smalot is offline Member

Do you use scales?

Hi guys,

Do you use scales to weigh yourself? Or do you just go with how you feel?

I have just finished my 30 day paleo challenge and I am about to start 30 days paleo with exercise. I think I will weigh in weekly.

Penny for your thoughts. lol

Cheers
    Doing my 30 day paleo challenge right now
    www.everydaypaleosolution.com

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    I don't have scales so I weigh every so often at the gym. More out of interest than anything else.

But I do measure daily. This reassures me that I am still on track (or warns me before I stray too far).

I recommend you both weigh and measure before your new challenge, the results might be interesting. Once a week sounds reasonable for a weigh-in.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Some here do. Some are very much against it.

I weigh myself, and I think it's ok to do that as long as I remember that weight isn't the only measure of success and not focus only on that number. But, it can be a way to assess progress.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Nope. But I'm donating (plasma) blood tomorrow and I get weighed there every time I go. So.....
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

canio6 Guest
    Yeah, I weigh myself. I have gone from daily to weekly to monthly and back and forth several times. The important thing to remember is that you are more than a number on a scale, and if weighing causes you to freak out (like it does some here) then stay away from it. Also, if the number on the scale goes up and the measurement of your waist goes down, you are doing fine.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Yeah, I weigh myself. I have gone from daily to weekly to monthly and back and forth several times. The important thing to remember is that you are more than a number on a scale, and if weighing causes you to freak out (like it does some here) then stay away from it. Also, if the number on the scale goes up and the measurement of your waist goes down, you are doing fine.
    A much more articulate way of saying what I meant. Thank you for that!
    *tired*

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    A much more articulate way of saying what I meant. Thank you for that!
    *tired*
    It's all good. Normally, you are the articulate one, so I appreciate you letting me switch places with you for once

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    No. Never, unless the doctor does it, and that is just for his stuff. I have a good, strong leather belt, and by the belt holes I can tell if I am losing, gaining, or staying the same in inches - at least around the waist. Between monthly water weight (if you know what I mean) and daily fluctuations and all, I just couldn't give a sh** about that particular number.

However, when I actually get around to the fitness portion of the PB, knowing the numbers on reps, or distance, or speed, or strength and such will be interesting to me. At least until I get honestly globally fit - then I won't care much about those numbers anymore, as I plan on then just having awesome fun keeping active and exploring stuff with my future fit body.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

smalot is offline Member
    Yes one thing I regret before my 30 day paleo challenge is not taking my measurements. I can feel a dramatic change in my body though.

Thanks for the feedback and I will definitely measure before this next round. So far 8 kgs gone with another 15?ish to go!!

Cheers
    Doing my 30 day paleo challenge right now
    www.everydaypaleosolution.com

PetrusNebraska is offline Junior Member

Be Careful with Scales!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What everybody else said: scales provide useful but narrow information. Measurements are better b/c they account for lean/fat ratios. If your adding much strength lifting heavy things your weight won't show as much but your belt might need to come in a notch. I like to weigh for bio-feedback-if it's trending down: probably a good sign. If it's shot up check other vitals/recent food intakes. I currently have a decent head cold and have observed a rise in blood pressure and gained 6 pounds. It's just nice to have one more window into what your body is already trying to tell me. Once I beat my cold (by going to bed and not using bright screens at night) I expect both my BP and weight will right itself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast