Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use scales? page 2

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty happy with my size overall, but I'd like to gain some mass. I weigh in at the gym after every lifting workout, and track that way. Unfortunately, I'm not eating enough to get myself over 170lbs as I'd like. I'll get up to 168, then get sick, or be busy for a few days, and drop back down to 163. I am getting stronger, though.

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    I step on a scale every morning. I'm incented by it. If I lose a bit of weight, it encourages me to lose more. If I gain a bit of weight, it lets me know I should perhaps eat a bit less today.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBNewby View Post
    I step on a scale every morning. I'm incented by it. If I lose a bit of weight, it encourages me to lose more. If I gain a bit of weight, it lets me know I should perhaps eat a bit less today.
    +1. Works great for me. Helps me understand how my body reacts to various foods and exercise. I don't obsess over the results - just consider it useful data. Same with measuring my BG. Most of the time I know what my BG will be based on what and how much I ate. Sometimes I am surprised, but not often. After a while, you get dialed in and it makes eating and not eating much more enjoyable.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Yep, I use scales and weigh myself every few days just to keep things in check. I'm at my goal weight and I has the scales to make sure I stay there. It's easier to lose 2 pounds than 20.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    +1. Works great for me. Helps me understand how my body reacts to various foods and exercise. I don't obsess over the results - just consider it useful data. Same with measuring my BG. Most of the time I know what my BG will be based on what and how much I ate. Sometimes I am surprised, but not often. After a while, you get dialed in and it makes eating and not eating much more enjoyable.
    Just ae you both say! + the scales react sooner than a dress size.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I use scales, but not as the main measuring device. Mostly out of interest, and I don't obsess over it!

ms sage is offline Member
    I use both the scale and the measuring tape. As a previous poster stated, it is much easier to keep track of things and lose 2 lbs than 10. But I don't get obsessed, I stick to weekly weigh ins and bi weekly measuring. Always the same day, always the same time.

Sandman is offline Member
    If it feels good, do it. If not, don't.

I weigh every morning because most of the time, it provides a bit of positive biofeedback. I don't worry about the days where my weight is a bit higher, as things tend to go down more than up.

The tape measure (or belt) is far less fickle and is probably a better measure.
    My blog: Regular Guy Paleo and please feel free to "like" my Facebook page.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I weight 2x/day everyday.

Have for my whole life. Kind of a leave over from when I competed in a weight class. Its quite individual. For me I can tell you what my weight is before setting foot. I'm just that much more in tune since I constantly track. However, its only one data point so don't lose site of the bigger picture.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I was following the CW of weight-loss from 2008 through 2011, I'd weigh myself weekly... sometimes twice or three times a week if I wanted to. When I got down to my lowest weight (my goal weight at the time) I looked way, way too skinny. Despite that realization, I didn't ditch my scale until I found PB and decided to focus on body composition rather than weight.

I do weigh myself weekly now, but only because my office is doing a "Biggest Loser" competition; once that's over, I'll stop and go back to how I used to do it: only know my weight when I go to the doctor!

Last week I started using calipers to measure body fat percentage, so that is the only thing I'm tracking nowadays.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast