Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: my lipid panel (not good)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    5

    my lipid panel (not good)

    Just had my blood work done and the results are... Glu 82 -- Trig 92-- Chol 497-- HDL 65-- LDL 414 I did not have a test done before I am down 42 pounds since jan of 2012 and am within 10 pounds of my goal weight I have been loosely following primal since Sept 2012 (down 22 lbs since primal) and in ketosis for the last 6 weeks lots of eggs bacon and sausage with olive oil, veggies etc Tomorrow (feb18) I start an 18 week training program for a tri Read griffs post and punching the numbers in they still don't look good My plan is to wait 3-4 weeks and have another test done. Any suggestions would be appreciated I had planned to stay in ketosis for my training but want to make sure im doing it in a healthy way Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    84
    I read in The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living that at about 30 lbs of weight loss, stored cholesterol starts being released from fat cells, which causes a rise in LDL. You should retest after being weight stable for a couple of months.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by done4 View Post
    Just had my blood work done and the results are... Glu 82 -- Trig 92-- Chol 497-- HDL 65-- LDL 414 I did not have a test done before I am down 42 pounds since jan of 2012 and am within 10 pounds of my goal weight I have been loosely following primal since Sept 2012 (down 22 lbs since primal) and in ketosis for the last 6 weeks lots of eggs bacon and sausage with olive oil, veggies etc Tomorrow (feb18) I start an 18 week training program for a tri Read griffs post and punching the numbers in they still don't look good My plan is to wait 3-4 weeks and have another test done. Any suggestions would be appreciated I had planned to stay in ketosis for my training but want to make sure im doing it in a healthy way Thanks
    Do you have a lipid profile from before you started losing weight or before ketosis?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,518
    A month is probably too soon to retest. Do you have a family history of high cholesterol?

    I think that Chris Kresser has some stuff on how to treat really high cholesterol levels. I have also read that drinking coffee that is not fun through any paper filter can cause very high LDL in some people.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    10,030
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I have also read that drinking coffee that is not fun[sic] through any paper filter can cause very high LDL in some people.
    Any idea where you read that?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Any idea where you read that?
    Health effects of coffee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    10,030
    Thanks. I had some sort of similar numbers on my last lipid panel despite excellent overall health. I have been drinking several cups of SWP decaf each day from a MacGuyvered French Press setup. After reading this thread I ordered an AeroPress and instant-read thermometer. I'll try to update if/when I ever have my lipids re-tested. Thanks everyone.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,518
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Thanks. I had some sort of similar numbers on my last lipid panel despite excellent overall health. I have been drinking several cups of SWP decaf each day from a MacGuyvered French Press setup. After reading this thread I ordered an AeroPress and instant-read thermometer. I'll try to update if/when I ever have my lipids re-tested. Thanks everyone.
    Please do update us. I would love to see some before and after lipid data in regards to unfiltered coffee. Thanks!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,203
    As everyone has said, don't sweat it while you are losing weight. 6 months after you stabilise get retested.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, California
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    As everyone has said, don't sweat it while you are losing weight. 6 months after you stabilise get retested.
    Agreed. Ignore this test. Keep doing what you're doing. But I think you only need to wait 3 months after stabilizing for the retest.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •