Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my lipid panel (not good) page

done4 is offline Junior Member

my lipid panel (not good)

Just had my blood work done and the results are... Glu 82 -- Trig 92-- Chol 497-- HDL 65-- LDL 414 I did not have a test done before I am down 42 pounds since jan of 2012 and am within 10 pounds of my goal weight I have been loosely following primal since Sept 2012 (down 22 lbs since primal) and in ketosis for the last 6 weeks lots of eggs bacon and sausage with olive oil, veggies etc Tomorrow (feb18) I start an 18 week training program for a tri Read griffs post and punching the numbers in they still don't look good My plan is to wait 3-4 weeks and have another test done. Any suggestions would be appreciated I had planned to stay in ketosis for my training but want to make sure im doing it in a healthy way Thanks

Chupo is online now Member
    I read in The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living that at about 30 lbs of weight loss, stored cholesterol starts being released from fat cells, which causes a rise in LDL. You should retest after being weight stable for a couple of months.

T_bone is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by done4 View Post
    Just had my blood work done and the results are... Glu 82 -- Trig 92-- Chol 497-- HDL 65-- LDL 414 I did not have a test done before I am down 42 pounds since jan of 2012 and am within 10 pounds of my goal weight I have been loosely following primal since Sept 2012 (down 22 lbs since primal) and in ketosis for the last 6 weeks lots of eggs bacon and sausage with olive oil, veggies etc Tomorrow (feb18) I start an 18 week training program for a tri Read griffs post and punching the numbers in they still don't look good My plan is to wait 3-4 weeks and have another test done. Any suggestions would be appreciated I had planned to stay in ketosis for my training but want to make sure im doing it in a healthy way Thanks
    Do you have a lipid profile from before you started losing weight or before ketosis?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    A month is probably too soon to retest. Do you have a family history of high cholesterol?

I think that Chris Kresser has some stuff on how to treat really high cholesterol levels. I have also read that drinking coffee that is not fun through any paper filter can cause very high LDL in some people.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    As everyone has said, don't sweat it while you are losing weight. 6 months after you stabilise get retested.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    As everyone has said, don't sweat it while you are losing weight. 6 months after you stabilise get retested.
    Agreed. Ignore this test. Keep doing what you're doing. But I think you only need to wait 3 months after stabilizing for the retest.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I have also read that drinking coffee that is not fun[sic] through any paper filter can cause very high LDL in some people.
    Any idea where you read that?

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Any idea where you read that?
    Health effects of coffee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Thanks. I had some sort of similar numbers on my last lipid panel despite excellent overall health. I have been drinking several cups of SWP decaf each day from a MacGuyvered French Press setup. After reading this thread I ordered an AeroPress and instant-read thermometer. I'll try to update if/when I ever have my lipids re-tested. Thanks everyone.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Thanks. I had some sort of similar numbers on my last lipid panel despite excellent overall health. I have been drinking several cups of SWP decaf each day from a MacGuyvered French Press setup. After reading this thread I ordered an AeroPress and instant-read thermometer. I'll try to update if/when I ever have my lipids re-tested. Thanks everyone.
    Please do update us. I would love to see some before and after lipid data in regards to unfiltered coffee. Thanks!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast