Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: European Meat Scandal page

KarenCreftor is offline Junior Member

European Meat Scandal

Hiya,

Just wondered what everyone thought about the meat scandal currently going on in Europe. Of course PB is all about unprocessed meat anyway, but I know many here aren't 100% PB.

Personally I think if you eat meat, you can't excluse animals just because 'it's cute'...I happen to think cows and chickens are cute, but we're also designed to eat meat. What I do have a problem with is the drugs used on the animals, animal welfare and the being lied to.

I confess I've still been eating the odd bit of processed food while I'm sourcing affordable and locally available unprocessed meat....but how much does it matter whether it's donkey, horse, pig or cow?

For those that haven't heard... Horsemeat scandal: the essential guide | UK news | The Guardian

Apparently the scandal has made vegetarian food sales go through the roof which I think is so dangerous because it is not a healthier option....have you seen what's in Quorn???

Anyway what do you think of it all?
    ~Kaz x

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I don't worry about it, because worrying won't help. I simply don't have the money to source the kind of top quality animal products that many on this forum do.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Id just like to know why they used horse meat as a cheap filler...
    You ever shop for horse-meat?
    Its Bloody Expensive!
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Some people won't eat horse meat? What are they, 5 years old and retarded?

KarenCreftor is offline Junior Member
    eKatherine, I'm the same...I try to do the best with what I have but my budget doesn't allow for top quality just yet.

LOL DinoHunter, no I haven't tried buying horse before.

WinterBike...crazy isn't it? People are aware of the hormones and antibiotics in almost all meat, but are happy to eat them. But when they find out it's horse they go veggie :S

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Its Bloody Expensive!
    It seems the problem was somewhere that a supplier sourced horsemeat that was not raised for food, and thus contained all sorts of drugs. These were just old animals that had been sent to slaughter because they were sick or god knows what.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    It is unconscionable of course to misrepresent a product and I hope the companies get fines large enough to deter future dirty dealing. OTOH, while pork isn't ideal, if someone snuck added ingredients into my food, I'd rather it were horse/pig than soy, peanuts, or pink slime. Still the butazone is an issue for the horse meat.

When I first started primal, I had a tough time with the price differences. Slowly but surely, my brain has flipped and now I don't see well-sourced meat as expensive, I see CAFO as artificially low priced. Factor in the cost to taxpayers in subsidies, the disgusting pollution, the terrible lives lived by the animals, and most importantly, the substandard product, and it's no wonder CAFO meats sell for so little.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Its Bloody Expensive!
    Couple years back when the US economy hit its current depression, I read a number of stories of horses going for next to nothing at auctions as people couldnt afford to keep em. I know some folk that got horsemeat for cheap at those auctions...

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    us horses are still being auctioned for pennies because of drought in much of the west and the subsequent high price for feed.

horsemeat is legal to sell and consume in much of the world.

On Horse Fat, Fries, and Harold McGee Chez Pim

but, yeah, the issues are the phony labels and that these were just old nags that should have gone to the glue factory, not dinner plates.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    One of the main problems is the lies involved.
    Also that those horses weren't raised for consumption.

I can't totally agree with the can't exclude because 'it's cute.' I agree that a lot of tasty farm and wild animals are cute, but I still eat them. Though some chickens are butt ugly!
    However, there's always been animals we feel horrified at the thought of eating. Usually because we keep them as pets, and yeah there's a level of hypocrisy to it, but some animals, like dogs, we found them more useful to live with than to eat. Don't know for sure why. Maybe they were useful as working animals, or, I tend to feel, maybe the benefit to us was just in having something to love. We've evolved to be altruistic, and study after study has shown that pet ownership or even just occasional exposure to dogs (like with therapy animal programs) has benefits to our mental and physical wellbeing.
    Last edited by s-piper; 02-17-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast