Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too much protein - bad? page 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    There's also the factor of placebo compliance, where they give people a placebo, and but not everyone is consistent about actually taking their medicine. it turns out that the diligent placebo takers, have better health outcomes than the people who didn't diligently take their placebos consistently.

I think that's the same thing as here. Everyone 'knows' what to do to be healthy, so the people who are diligent compliers do those things, and have good health outcomes. Because of some innate characteristic of them, not necessarily because what they did gave them the better outcome.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

fit nightingale is offline Junior Member
    Too much protein shouldn't be bad. It gives you energy and promotes cell growth. The only thing you should be worried about is having too little protein, which can lead to feeling weak, light-headed, and hungry. It happened to my dad when he first started his diet. I had to help him include more protein in what he ate.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fit nightingale View Post
    Too much protein shouldn't be bad. It gives you energy and promotes cell growth. The only thing you should be worried about is having too little protein, which can lead to feeling weak, light-headed, and hungry. It happened to my dad when he first started his diet. I had to help him include more protein in what he ate.
    Actually, too much protein is bad.

Your body i smarvellous in that it can convert food between protein, fat and carobhydrates if you don't eat it in the exact proportions of what it needs. Fat and carbohydrates are both composed of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen atoms. While protein also has Nitrogen. So eating too much protein means that when your body builds the fat/carbs that it needs from your surplus protein you have extra nitrogen left over.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Too much protein can lead to gout.

M.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Too much of anything becomes a problem when regulation is broken and unmanageable. Too much protein with leads to improper breakdown, processing and removal can cause chaos to a number of organ systems.

I am not saying that everyone who eats a ton of protein will run into crazed out organs....what I am saying is that overloading can overwork the system. Parts of the system will malfunction and ultimately fail if not addressed.

The best strategy is to find way to support the parts and the overall system if one is overloading. (One also must determine what level is considered overloading for that individual).

Protein and Cancer share signaling pathways (mTor pathway) which means that both can activate or involved heavily in cell size. If you think about how Cancer cells divide and grow and repeat this process with out dying off, you can really see how protein can play a role on the consistent and continual "building block" of cells.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    To little protein is very bad, enough protein (slightly more than daily requirement) is good, any more than that is bad, it's just extra crap your body needs break down and get rid of, making more work and creating unnecesary toxins.

You can store fat and carbs as glycogen or converted to fat, you can't store protein.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Well, you can, kind of. Muscle cells, right?

M.

JohnnyNull is offline Member
    Not really. Don't sweat it. The end.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Well, you can, kind of. Muscle cells, right?

M.
    How much muscle can you add in a day?
    That's the little extra allowance over minimum maintenance.

Search out the "Hey dude I stink" thread, bodybuilding excess protein consumption.

Brian Nametko is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't think too much protein is bad however if you're not active enough the protein can turn to fat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12