Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: My story - why PB doesn't work for me. page 8

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    My 15 years paleo/primal were pure hell and basically made me anorexic. I've left for other reasons though, not so I can agree with others more or be more sociable. I've realized without question it's a spooky world out there; I can't just stop seeking when theres so much dietary b.s. I've had to put up with in my life. Whatever you do, keep seeking the truth. Don't eat and live like everyone else so you can be comfortable. Starches and PUFAs will get you, one way or another.
    It's too many calories for most. The body needs carbs, not fat.
    I... just... don't... get... it...

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    That's kind of another point of confusion I have. He has a giant list of fruits to eat. I assume fruit is unlimited unless it stalls your weight loss. Like I'll eat 3-4 pieces of fruit a day. I don't get where people think you need to limit fruit, except for the carb curve. I can have a kiwi, banana, apple and 12 strawberries for about 60 grams of carbs a day. Well under the carb curve.

I do agree you need to work with your food preferences. I'm always confounded when people will eat copious amounts of fat and bacon then freak out over the carbs in a handful of berries.
    Yeah I didn't read any of this quote, but magnolia you looking good up in that avatar girlfriend.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

the_walrus0 is offline Member
    I think a lot of people have the 'all or nothing' mindset, especially when following PB or Paleo. I'm not sure why. It's taken me a long time to reign in my all or nothing self and realize I can't always be all or nothing, but I can be 'most of the time'. I eat dairy because it doesn't mess with my stomach, as far as I know, and it helps keep my meals interesting. I avoid fruit because, for me, it makes me hungrier. I love meat. I love bacon. I love vegetables. I love eggs. PB works out very well for me.

The things I miss horrendously are things like pizza and sugar. Notice I just said 'sugar' and not something made with sugar. I genuinely miss all things sugary because they taste so amazing. I, personally, can't handle anything that contains more than like 5gs of sugar. It sends me off the deep end and I binge.

But these are all personal things. Eating fats makes me happy, satisfied and not binging. In fact, I've lost a pound without counting calories! That doesn't mean everyone has to give up fruit, or eat dairy, or have bacon every morning...I'm sure there are some people following PB who eat tons of fruit and are totally happy.

Anyways, I think some people take things like paleo or PB to a whole new level, beyond an experiment in trying to learn about themselves and what they should eat and it ends up being a race to perfection by cutting out tons of food groups.

That's my two cents, but I've only been PB for a month now.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    Sounds to me like you still ARE Primal.
    Yeah, I had the same experiences as primal (twins!) and I still regard myself as primal.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I... just... don't... get... it...
    My rule of thumb is to not take advice from people with a history of disordered eating.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 02-19-2013 at 02:23 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I guess, it whatever makes a person more comfortable. I am more comfortable with not calling myself anything, because I am a stickler by nature. So when I call myself Primal, I feel obliged to follow the rules, and get pushed into the psychological conflict over an apple, that inevitably leads to overeating on the 'approved' foods with a crappy net result. Other people feel more comfortable with having a name to their WOE even if they bend the rules, and they would argue that they are doing it right, customizing it, etc. Whatever floats each person's boat.

I also have a level of discomfort I am willing to accept for eating a specific food. A touch of a bloat after eating cabbage is not gonna stop me from enjoying cabbages. I am not going do GAPS because I farted three times. And I am gonna still eat honey and be philosophical about the few zits popping up once in a while.
    Yeah, pretty much how i think i will approach food from now on too. Limit the stuff that do seem to trigger some sort of negative consequences (if you personally feel they are negative), but still enjoy them. I have been avoiding onions due to fructose malabsorption for years, screw it i say, i will cook liver and onions as part of a dish i will have now and then. Same applies to other foods i have been avoiding. Life really is too short to worry about these things, adapt and grow more like it.

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I still approach my eats "in the moment" if I'm cooking something, 98% of the time it's paleo/primal compliant. It's just how I prefer to eat. I love animal protein, and I've come to really like vegetables. I grew up eating animals with rice, but I know that when I visit my parents (once a week) I will be eating rice with them, so when I cook for myself I don't make it. I take the time I cook for myself to make sure I'm eating nutritiously.

When I don't have as much control over the food I just try to make good choices. I get food from Chipotle pretty often (once/twice a week) because they have better ingredients and they're so skimpy on their rice servings now that it doesn't bother me. I go to starbucks and get black coffee and add some half and half to it, sometimes, but very rarely, I'll add a little sugar or get a mocha latte drink (sweetened with choc syrup). I don't feel bad, but I KNOW it's not ideal - but I don't care that much. I don't stress about diet almost at all. I try to keep grains/oils/sugars to a minimum, but I end up eating them usually in social settings only.

I just try to make good decisions most often than not, in every aspect of my life, but I understand that I can't be perfect.

I think the OP has other issues to figure out. If eating more liberally helps you, who are we to say otherwise. However, don't just take what you've learned and toss it - apply it when you can. That's what knowledge is there for.
    Qouted for the truth.

Future_PB_Dr is offline Member
    I'll second that. This is my exact mentality in regards to my diet as well. Do the absolute best with your resources when you can, and when conditions aren't ideal, adapt.

I belong to the crowd that can't take a bite of a brownie without creating a demon that voraciously eats the remaining brownies on the plate. The same goes for bread and many carbs. My adaptation, cut these out entirely. However, I can enjoy several carbohydrate sources like honey and dairy without awaking this peculiar demon form of my otherwise angelic self.

My question is, do you really think Grok didn't gorge on certain carbohydrate sources at various times? And do you think he even gave it a conscious thought? No. So neither should you once you re-establish a homeostatic balance and retain the knowledge that got you there. Find what works for you, and then just coast from there. Don't let this become an obsession. Stressing over that apple may cause just as much of an insulin spike as if you had actually eaten it - this is total speculation based on the idea that stress leads to cortisol leads to gluconeogenisis leads to glucose leads to insulin leads to fat deposition. Anyway, you get the point.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    My 15 years paleo/primal were pure hell and basically made me anorexic. I've left for other reasons though, not so I can agree with others more or be more sociable. I've realized without question it's a spooky world out there; I can't just stop seeking when theres so much dietary b.s. I've had to put up with in my life. Whatever you do, keep seeking the truth. Don't eat and live like everyone else so you can be comfortable. Starches and PUFAs will get you, one way or another.
    Sorry but why would you continue for that long if it wasn't working?
    Most people realise after 6 months or less if they need to change something. Again this is another thing that can't be blamed on primal.

CradlingaLion is offline Member
    The only way to eat more or less healthy and NOT be follow Primal Blueprint nutrition is to eat grains and vegetable oils, basically. And because of carbs and allergens and sparse nutrient density, those are just not AS healthy as PB foods. End of story. You don't have to follow all of Mark's guidelines to be a healthy, successful eater. He just shows a way that is smart, easy, and works for him and a heck of a lot of other people. If PB was "hell" for you you had a bigger problem than diet.

jaczor is offline Member
    This is why the 80/20 rule of the PB is so important, at least for me. When I eat at home which is about 70% of the time, I eat 100% Paleo, but as with most things, life gets in the way, you have to go to dinners, parties, have lunch at a restaurant, go on a weekend trip, etc. The way I see it, I have three options: be obsessive and only eat paleo foods or not eat at all (and probably not have such a good time), don't go out at all unless I'm sure I can maintain my paleo eating habits or try to eat as paleo as possible, but don't care if I can't ocationally.

It is this simple rule that has allowed me to stick with it, it allows me to enjoy myself and be healthy at the same time, sometimes I go out to dinner and I really want to have something that isn't paleo, I just do it, 3 or 4 meals a week that are not paleo is not the end of the world. However, when I do eat non paleo foods, I make it count, I save it only for food that I really like or that is specially good.

For example, the other day I went to eat with my parents to a really good restaurant (1 michelin star good), do you think that I even bothered to see if anything on the menu was paleo firendly??? hell no! I just ordered whatever I wanted and had an awesome meal.

The key is to avoid the "all or nothing" mentality that so many of us had/have when it came to diets or eating habits, eating paleo 50 or 60% of the time is better than 0. Related to this is the license to cheat that some of us get whenever we fall of the wagon, it is a very slippery slope of might as wells: oh, I just had some bread, well, I might as well order some pasta. Oh I just eat some pasta, well I might as well get dessert...and so on until two weeks later you forgot how to eat paleo and quit altogether.

My 0.02$

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast