Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: My story - why PB doesn't work for me. page 5

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    The OP says Primal isn't working for her, but then describes how she didn't actually eat Primal. Or did I miss something?

Sounds like a matter of impulse control to me.
    This. Having an eating disorder is definitely a problem. I hope you get some help with that. However, blaming that on paleo when you weren't really even paleo is just silly.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    The OP has to decide for himself if his goals are too feel happy or feel healthy and if the primal/paleo lifestyle can lead him to either of those end points.

It sounds like the OP has already been struggling much for 2 and half years with the way he himself perceives his exterior appearance (how much he should look/weigh). This, more than not, falls into the happiness category.

Did the OP begin his paleo journey with the right intent? Did you want to change/improve the way you felt about how you looked or when you looked at yourself.....or did you want to change/improve your health?

I do not consider 3 days of "clean" eating followed by periods of binge eating the proper adherence to the primal/paleo life style WOE. If this pattern continued on for 2+ years, there is no way you're going to feel happy or very healthy.

Maybe it is a good idea to end your story, but if you ever choose to pick up on the journey again, give yourself an honest 30 days of maybe 5-6 out 7 "clean" eating days and strict primal/paleo adherence and 1 or 2 out of 7 days a more lenient, relaxed WOE....maybe you might see what you wanted to see in the end.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I eat Primal, but I stuff my face whenever and to whatever degree I want. There doesn't need to be a sense of restriction with Primal. Instead, it's the freedom to eat all the real food you want.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmsantos View Post
    So the conclusions I make from this are that

1) Any potential benefits from paleo are not outweighed by the detrimental factors that come with it in my life.
    2) Obsessions/extremes are unhealthy and unproductive.
    3) Someone's weight or how they look isn't that important in the grand scheme of things. The most important thing is to be happy with who you are and be healthy enough to do what you love doing.
    4) Eating emotionally isn't healthy.
    5) Diets (as in deliberate/permanent restriction of calories/food groups) are destined to failure in the long run (in most cases).

That's all I can think of at the moment, but no doubt there are many more! I really hope that if there are people out there in a similar situation then they read this and realize there are other alternatives out there, because it took me a LONG time to come to this conclusion. Now I truly understand what it means to listen to your body - those four words are possibly the wisest when it comes to health and wellbeing.
    Why do you feel you need to go.
    All your points generally fit the primal direction, sure some people do the monitoring and calorie restriction, but they choose to, but they know that's not really primal, don't think I've ever seen a Kalahari Bushman on the scales infront of the mirror.

I read through all the post's, don't see the problem, people are on and off the wagon here all the time, all trying to find an emotionally healthy dietary balance.
    There's all kinds of nut jobs, here, some eat pizza & cake, some just veg, some nothing but lard and beef jerky, some don't weigh themselves, others spend all day looking in the mirror, whilst on the scales and watching "The 300" (spartans) over and over, totally mixed bag of freaks, and I feel at home.
    Last edited by Omni; 02-19-2013 at 03:28 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Eating Primal did not work for me, because I do not satiate on fat and can't psychologically accept ALL carb restrictions. I tried so hard to eliminate fruit and fit veggies into under 30 or 60 or whatever grams carbs... depression resulted. Never managed to become a fat burning beast, instead I was a blob of misery, fatigued and lethargic and hungry.

I also do not restrict fat & only use good sources - I make my own lard, use olive oil at times, and mucho coconut oil. Never liked butter, but cook with it from time to time.

I don't eliminate dairy or nuts either. Not eliminating it made the amounts of it I eat minuscule. Duh.

This whole'ish approach works pretty good. I don't eat wheat, but once a while would make myself a serving of millet or buckwheat (1/3 cup). I don't like rice, so I don't eat it. I don't restrict fruit, let alone vegetables no more. No more weighing celery sticks - celery is no enemy of mine. And I chew gum and use whey protein sweetened by the horrid art. sweetener (boo!). I also have a tbsp or two of raw honey with my evening tea. And I don't worry how I call my WOE.

I am 10 lbs heavier than on spinach and meat, but I am happier and don't spend all these time relating calories and carbs to my level of activity. Sure, I am not a ripped gal, but it is easier to deal with thighs when you eat apples, than when you don't, and still have big but slightly smaller thighs.
    Last edited by Leida; 02-19-2013 at 06:09 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Eating Primal did not work for me, because I do not satiate on fat and can't psychologically accept ALL carb restrictions. I tried so hard to eliminate fruit and fit veggies into under 30 or 60 or whatever grams carbs... depression resulted. Never managed to become a fat burning beast, instead I was a blob of misery, fatigued and lethargic and hungry.

I also do not restrict fat & only use good sources - I make my own lard, use olive oil at times, and mucho coconut oil. Never liked butter, but cook with it from time to time.

I don't eliminate dairy or nuts either. Not eliminating it made the amounts of it I eat minuscule. Duh.

This whole'ish approach works pretty good. I don't eat wheat, but once a while would make myself a serving of millet or buckwheat (1/3 cup). I don't like rice, so I don't eat it. I don't restrict fruit, let alone vegetables no more. No more weighing celery sticks - celery is no enemy of mine. And I chew gum and use whey protein sweetened by the horrid art. sweetener (boo!). I also have a tbsp or two of raw honey with my evening tea. And I don't worry how I call my WOE.

I am 10 lbs heavier than on spinach and meat, but I am happier and don't spend all these time relating calories and carbs to my level of activity. Sure, I am not a ripped gal, but it is easier to deal with thighs when you eat apples, than when you don't, and still have big but slightly smaller thighs.
    Sounds to me like you still ARE Primal.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    It baffles me that some people don't understand that primal/paleo are not a low carb WOE unless you choose to make it that way.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    It baffles me that some people don't understand that primal/paleo are not a low carb WOE unless you choose to make it that way.
    Yeah.... people seem to grab onto that though. I do get a mixed message though. Mark seems to allude that unless you are very active, you don't need a lot of carbs. That recent article sure didn't make it sound like he thought most people should be eating fruit and sweet taters....

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Like, he only reccommends the under 50 carbs for very obese trying to lose weight. But if you limit fruit and don't eat starchy veggies, you will be hard pressed to exceed 50 carbs and make it to his 100 carb "sweet spot".

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I do not think I am Primal because, yes, I have read Mark's articles, and I am pretty sure that Primal concept is low carb unless you are a competitive athlete. He very clearly states that if you only lift like 3 times a week and do a bit of cardio, you should be below 100 g carb. I am that level of activity. I eat over 100 carbs a day.

Secondly, I gave up the war on the artificial sweeteners. I like gum, I have like 5-7 sticks a day, and would have a diet drink too once in a while.

Thirdly, I eat grains and do not think the non-processed grains are evil.

I am the closest to the high carb paleo, the Perfect Health Diet, but I do dairy, and sweeteners, and spices, and salt and whatever else that is forbidden by various Paleo. Heck, I even use soy sauce if I feel like it. I eliminate basically nothing but processed wheat and vegetable oils.

So, no, I do not fit into any category on the paleo-primal spectrum, and I do not consider myself anything but a normal person who tries her best to not obsess about eating.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast