Thread: How are my first two days looking?? page

dsp98 is offline Junior Member

How are my first two days looking??

Shop Now
    Hello,

I've finished my first two days and was wondering if anyone had any input for me. I'm finding it kind of hard to get my calories up but think I've done pretty well but would love any advice!!

B-protein shake made with unsweetened almond milk
    S- 1 oz almonds
    L- chicken breast, big salad with cucumber, mushrooms, red pepper, romaine and olive oil based dressing
    S- apple with sunflower seed butter
    D- 2 1/2 lean turkey brats with red pepper strips and 1 c. strawberries

1537 calories 77 g fat, 75 g carbs, 140 g protein 45 minute spinning class

B-protein shake with unsweetened almond milk
    S-2 oz almonds
    L- 2 lean turkey brats with roasted veggies (pepper, mushrooms, zucchini) little olive oil
    S- apple with sunflower seed butter
    D- steak with broccoli

1511 calories, 81 g fat, 82 g carbs, 127 g protein No exercise today as I've got a terrible cold

I appreciate your time to look it over and offer any advice. It is so hard for me to change my way of thinking still. I've followed CW and logged calories in/out for years, used a bodybugg which made me more obsessed and have totally forgotten how to listen to my body! I don't want to undereat and mess up my metabolism even more!

By the way, I'm 36, 5'6 and 154lbs. wanting to lose more fat! I'm experiencing gym burn out from doing two hours/day with cardio 5x/week and weights 3x/week plus walking the dog 2-3 miles when I get home. Obviously the Chronic Cardio isn't working for me and I'm feeling the need to cut back a little to 3x/week of strength on my own and spinning or walking the dog counting as my exercise to give my new heel spur a little break!

DSP
    Last edited by dsp98; 04-27-2010 at 01:55 PM.

IMHO I would lay off some of the nuts and seeds since you are trying to lose weight. These have caused me to stall a few times. I would also up the fat a bit and cut the carbs to under 50 (to really start losing weight). You may want to forgo some of the fruit as well during this period. Your fat should be 60% of you calories (minimu) to accomplish your goal.. Best of luck!

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Did you do WW by chance?

No more lean brats - go full fat or go home! But other than that - looks good!

If you find you're not losing weight, you might look at the fruit and nuts, especially if you're a lifelong dieter with insulin *issues.* But you're looking good!

And you REALLY do not need to be in the gym 2 hours a day, 5x a week. But I'm sure you know that. 80% of fat loss happens in the kitchen.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yeah omega 3:6 ratio and reducing the total amount of polyunsaturated fats in general is way important.

Do you take fish oil supplements? It doesn't look like there's any omega 3 in there so I would start with that. There's some pretty convincing evidence that a poor omega 3:6 ratio contributes heavily to obesity, and a host of other health problems. Definitely see Mark's posts on that stuff and search out further reading. All of the nuts and poultry needs to be countered by wild fish or fish oil.

Carbs look sufficiently low but I would add some superfluous saturated and monounsaturated fats in there. Coconut oil!

Oh! I forgot - the protein shake and almond milk? Not so much. Why not real food?

dsp98 is offline Junior Member
    I usually do the protein shake because I usually don't love eggs in the morning. They feel too heavy but I may just have to get used to it. Any suggestions for what to do with the coconut oil? I've never used it before!

Beef Cake is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsp98 View Post
    By the way, I'm 36, 5'6 and 154lbs. wanting to lose more fat! I'm experiencing gym burn out from doing two hours/day with cardio 5x/week and weights 3x/week plus walking the dog 2-3 miles when I get home. Obviously the Chronic Cardio isn't working for me and I'm feeling the need to cut back a little to 3x/week of strength on my own and spinning or walking the dog counting as my exercise to give my new heel spur a little break!
    DSP
    Leave the skin on the chicken breast if possible, as Suki said, get rid of the lean turkey brats and go with the real thing. Your taste buds will thank you as well. I understand the draw to nuts, nut butter and seed butter as an easy and portable snack, but you may not need the snacks if you eat chicken with skin and full fat brats. I went from eating a very similar diet, although my portions were larger and my fat was significantly lower. I am amazed how many times I do not crave snacks due to eating skin on chicken and full fat foods. My mind keeps telling me it is wrong, but my body is responding like it is right. This time, I am watching and listening to my body.

Beef Cake is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsp98 View Post
    I usually do the protein shake because I usually don't love eggs in the morning. They feel too heavy but I may just have to get used to it. Any suggestions for what to do with the coconut oil? I've never used it before!
    Use it like butter and saute in it. I do protein shakes in the morning because I am allergic to eggs. See if you can find grass-fed protein powder concentrate, like True Whey or something similar. Also, get rid of the almond milk and try Kefir. I have also been meaning to try coconut oil in my morning smoothie...thanks for the reminder...

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    If you don't want eggs in the morning, how about bacon or sausage? Or, somewhere around here there is a recipe for crustless quiche that might be a bit lighter.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Coconut oil - virgin is awesome (tastes like coconut). Refined doesn't taste like anything so you can use it as you would olive oil or ghee.