Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm not getting stronger at xfit anymore... page

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member

I'm not getting stronger at xfit anymore...

Primal Fuel
    35, 5'2", 135-140 lbs. I've been doing xfit for about 1.5 years. When I started I had never lifted a barbell. Couldn't do pull ups, push ups, ring dips, swing a kettle bell, etc. My current stats:

OHP - 80
    PC - 110
    DL - 210 ish (haven't tried max in a while)
    HBBS - 160 (hip pain is my limiter here - 1.5 years ago I couldn't break parallel)
    Bench - 100 ish (again, no real max efforts, I think I did 5 x 90 a while ago though)

6 months ago I switched xfits. We do a lot of bodyweight stuff at my new box. In those 6 months I now have kipping pull ups, push ups, and almost have ring dips. But, we don't do much heavy stuff. So those PRs above really haven't changed at all. I've started Starting Strength at home and will stick with it for 2 weeks or so before I find that (a) I'm too tired for WODs or (b) too tired for SS. Clearly the programming at my box isn't helping me get stronger but I'm just not sure how much, how often, what programming (3 x 5, 5-3-1, etc) to try on my own to get stronger.

My goals:
    OHP - 100 (looooooong shot )
    PC - 135
    DL - 250
    BS - no goals here, I'm happy to work below "strength" and gain mobility and work towards pain free squats
    Bench - 125
    Having a 95 lb snatch would be nice too... right now that is at 65 or 70.

Any tips from people who know how to program this kind of stuff?

The Scott is offline Member
    Up your cals or meaning get more fuel in and more over load. Another thing to consider is, we not only get stronger we gain efficiency of movement with practice. So lets say you could bench press 95 lbs when you were at your strongest but could only do 30 push ups. You then spent you time working on pushups and all of a sudden you now can knock out 60 pushups but can still only benchpress 95 lbs. Did you get weaker? Did you get stronger?

So what im saying is you can get stronger but part of that strength is efficiency, meaning the body builds the neropathology to do a particular skill. This is why changing up exercises is so important to gaining strength.

In my personal opinion that being able to move your body through space is a far more challenging thing to adapt to, than the other, though Im not discounting your goals because we all have them. Keep at em add a little more gas in the tank work hard.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    35, 5'2", 135-140 lbs. I've been doing xfit for about 1.5 years. When I started I had never lifted a barbell. Couldn't do pull ups, push ups, ring dips, swing a kettle bell, etc. My current stats:

OHP - 80
    PC - 110
    DL - 210 ish (haven't tried max in a while)
    HBBS - 160 (hip pain is my limiter here - 1.5 years ago I couldn't break parallel)
    Bench - 100 ish (again, no real max efforts, I think I did 5 x 90 a while ago though)

6 months ago I switched xfits. We do a lot of bodyweight stuff at my new box. In those 6 months I now have kipping pull ups, push ups, and almost have ring dips. But, we don't do much heavy stuff. So those PRs above really haven't changed at all. I've started Starting Strength at home and will stick with it for 2 weeks or so before I find that (a) I'm too tired for WODs or (b) too tired for SS. Clearly the programming at my box isn't helping me get stronger but I'm just not sure how much, how often, what programming (3 x 5, 5-3-1, etc) to try on my own to get stronger.

My goals:
    OHP - 100 (looooooong shot )
    PC - 135
    DL - 250
    BS - no goals here, I'm happy to work below "strength" and gain mobility and work towards pain free squats
    Bench - 125
    Having a 95 lb snatch would be nice too... right now that is at 65 or 70.

Any tips from people who know how to program this kind of stuff?
    All of your goals that you listed involve strength and power which clearly your current gym's programming will not help you achieve. It's time to switch boxes.

It sounds like this one wants everyone to do 15 minute metcons every day.
    Where are you located? Other boxes in your area?
    Are you allowed to attend class and do your own lifts/programming at your current box?

I left my first crossfit gym after a year for the same reason. My strength had actually decreased in some areas and I hated doing metcons. All I wanted to be was stronger and the programming wouldn't allow for it with day after day of long metcons.

My current gym has *perfect* programming for me -- someone who wants to increase strength and power with some metabolic conditioning. They mix in outlaw which is terrific. I have gotten stronger as well as decreased my WOD times doing nothing but follow their programming.
    ad astra per aspera

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    I've started Starting Strength...Clearly the programming at my box isn't helping me get stronger...Any tips from people who know how to program this kind of stuff?
    So you're doing Crossfit to achieve goals that Crossfit (especially the version you're doing) isn't designed to achieve...

And your solution is to ADD to it?

Just do Starting Strength. If you're doing Crossfit on the side, you're not actually doing Starting Strength. The short version is YNDTP. Google it.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    The training is always specific. You get good at what you do. If you want to increase your maxes, concentrate on Starting Strength. You are not gonna bench more if you do push-ups. You gotta bench.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

The Scott is offline Member
    Exactly

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Aww, it's kind of sad to see you leave your box, but it sounds like you had a great run, with xfit in general

I would also recommend ditching xfit, and just doing SS if you want to get stronger. IMO you could hit your DL goal in a month or two, and possibly your upper body lifts as well in the same time if you really focus.

Toshison is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    The training is always specific. You get good at what you do. If you want to increase your maxes, concentrate on Starting Strength. You are not gonna bench more if you do push-ups. You gotta bench.
    ^
    This.

If you want to get good at those core moves. Do those core moves and don't burn yourself out with the other stuff. That way you can recover faster and do those core moves more frequently. Its like everything, practice, practice, practice!

judoka is offline Member
    Agree with the others. Do SS or a similar strength training program that is designed to meet your goals, and finish each workout with some metabolic conditioning. There are plenty of great complexes out there devised for just this purpose.

missblue is offline Senior Member
    I also suggest seriously addressing mobility beyond the gym--since I started doing yoga my crossfit lifting has improved greatly. Range of motion really makes a difference in how much you can lift safely and well. You mention this and I think you are absolutely right to stay below strength until you can "manage" the motion fully.

Also, if you don't have strict pull-ups, I also suggest getting those instead of doing the kipping ones. Slow, full range of motion with emphasis on negatives even using a box for support at first. The kipping thing is fun but kind of a cheat if you can't do the real thing. There are several women at my gym who have come for years and still don't have strict pull ups becasue they just "skipped" to kipping.

I decided I wasn't going to be one of them. I also worked on strict push ups, with arms in different places.
    As I got better, started doing more diamond pushups, etc. Again, this helped me get stronger and lift more weight.

Hard work but worth it! Have you talked to your trainers about customizing your workout a bit? Mine have been very helpful--I still do WOD but with extra modifications. You may have outgrown your gym and will be happy on your own with a strength program, but maybe not. I really like going to my gym and find it extremely motivating--I just needed to get more from my workouts as I got fitter. To keep you as a customer, hopefully they will meet your current needs.
    Last edited by missblue; 02-20-2013 at 04:05 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast