Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm not getting stronger at xfit anymore... page 2

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    +1 on the yoga, missblue! Not to mention I feel more stress-free since entering the meditation realm xD

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Wow - thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Mobility. I need to work on that. Its always in the back of my mind but I never do as much of it as I should. Maybe some yoga at home with the few DVDs I have around would be good. Thanks for that tip.

My box is not terribly "flexible". It is small and there is no open-gym time during regular WODs. I have mentioned my frustration to the owner and she is aware of it, however she doesn't have the capability to change programming just for me nor the space.

I guess I was looking for more ideas about how to mix in SS without quitting xfit. I like my box. I like the people there. When its a good WOD I'm so grateful for being there. I am a competitive person and find I push myself more with a crowd than alone in my garage. Thus I really don't want to leave. I just want to get *reasonably* stronger

Having NO strength background I don't know how I can incorporate stuff in at home. Should I do SS 2 days a week and xfit 3? Should I pick 1 lift a day to do after my run in the AM and do xfit in the PM? I did this with OHP about a month ago. I was struggling with 3 x 5@ 65 lbs. So 2 days a week I did 3 x 5 after my run. I'm now on 3 x 5 @75 lbs after 1 month (only getting 2-3 reps at this point). This is all I'm looking for... small, yet noticeable improvement. So do I just do this with all the movements? Will 1 day a week per movement get me anywhere?

I am sure that quitting xfit and exclusively pursuing SS would have me at some weight goals pretty quick. But I'm not willing to do that so I'm just looking for suggestions about frequency/splits that will at least get me stronger at a slower rate. Thanks again

boomingno is offline Member
    Mixing crossfit and SS for a total of 5 workouts a week isn't going to get you anything other than overtrained. You're probably already overtrained if you find that you dont have the energy for one or the other after 2 weeks.

I dont know if you have the SS book or not, but Ripp says, you don't get stronger from lifting weights; you get stronger from RECOVERING from lifting weights. No recovery = no strength gains, and 5 workouts a week is just too many IMO, especially for strength training.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomingno View Post
    Mixing crossfit and SS for a total of 5 workouts a week isn't going to get you anything other than overtrained. You're probably already overtrained if you find that you dont have the energy for one or the other after 2 weeks.

I dont know if you have the SS book or not, but Ripp says, you don't get stronger from lifting weights; you get stronger from RECOVERING from lifting weights. No recovery = no strength gains, and 5 workouts a week is just too many IMO, especially for strength training.
    Agreed. My gains stopped increasing flat-out when I was working out hardcore even 4 days/week. I would also highly suggest some rest (maybe lots of walking? )

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member

Ditto X2

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't xfit more metabolic rather than
    strength inducing?

So you're conditioning your body to do lots of stuff in a short amount of
    time (well, if an hour or more is short), and sure you may get stronger if
    it's your first rodeo the first month, but it doesn't help you get stronger
    after that.

Weight training is the way to go. Nice controlled movements, 3 sets and 8 reps
    of whatever is heaviest for you, or even 3 sets by 5 reps, and lots of recovery.

I've finally figured out that only TWO gym sessions a week for me is what works
    and keeps me from overtraining.

It kills me not to go more often, because I love it, but my muscles are thanking me
    by giving me a PR in just about every lift every week.

Maybe not by much, but something.

Julie

beachcampin is offline Junior Member

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    You can't "do" Starting Strength 2 days a week and Crossfit 3 days a week. Starting Strength is a specific program, and one aspect of that program is not doing crossfit 3 days a week.

Mixing crossfit and SS for a total of 5 workouts a week isn't going to get you anything other than overtrained.
    Yes. Strength training yields benefits when you recover from the stimulus you provide by lifting heavy weights. If you fail to recover, you will fail to get stronger.

If you don't want to give up Crossfit, change your goals to ones that Crossfit can meet. If you want to meet your current goals, get on a program that will help you meet your goals. Or keep insisting on engaging in some Orwellian doublethink and end up overtrained and fail to meet any of your goals. The choice is yours, the information and advice you asked for has been provided.

dml
    dml is offline Senior Member
    It's a shame (to me) that your box seems so focused on body weight type stuff plus the MetCons. In the 2.5 years I've been going to my box, we have done a Wendler 5-3-1 cycle for the three lifts in the CrossFit Total workout. Last summer, we did a 12 week Hatch Cycle (google it) for squats, and I took my back squat from from 335->365 in 12 weeks at age 50. We just finished a 10 week Olympic lifting cycle. Our coach really wants us to be strong as well as being able to fly through the MetCons. It might be why we sent a team to the CF Games last year.

I've been doing CF for 2.5 years, starting at age 48. I've taken my overhead press from 115 to 145, my bench (which is pathetic) from 165 to 195, my back squat from 265 to 365, and my deadlift from 365 to 420. That 420 was done just yesterday and I hadn't tried a max effort DL in months. But clearly, the Olympic lifting cycle we just did took nothing away from my deadlift.

So, I wouldn't say that CrossFit is not conducive to strength gains, at least not in general. But, it sounds like your box is that way.

I also disagree with some of the other comments. I think you could do three starting strength workouts per week and still get benefit from two days of the type of CF your box is offering. A better alternative might be finding a box that is more in line with your goals. Even in tiny city where I work out, we now have three boxes to choose from.
    Last edited by dml; 02-22-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: missing word

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    dml - It is a shame. The other close box in my area is about twice as expensive and as a student I can't afford it. To my knowledge, none of the three local boxes have any sort of long-term planned strength - or at least makes it obvious that they are following some sort of regimented, cyclical strength programming.

Rich -
    >>Or keep insisting on engaging in some Orwellian doublethink and end up overtrained and fail to meet any of your goals. The choice is yours, the information and advice you asked for has been provided.<<

The athletes making the crossfit games are "barbell" strong, "body weight" strong and "skill" strong (gymnastic movements). Am I really incorrect in thinking that it is possible to develop in all of these areas at once with the right programming? These women who can clean 200+lbs at BWs of 125 are NOT just doing SS or Wendler. I agree my box might not be right for me right now. Which is why I really think there *might* be a way for me to cut back on the # of days I go there and *something* I can add in on my own that will allow me to move towards my goals...

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post

The athletes making the crossfit games are "barbell" strong, "body weight" strong and "skill" strong (gymnastic movements). Am I really incorrect in thinking that it is possible to develop in all of these areas at once with the right programming? These women who can clean 200+lbs at BWs of 125 are NOT just doing SS or Wendler. I agree my box might not be right for me right now. Which is why I really think there *might* be a way for me to cut back on the # of days I go there and *something* I can add in on my own that will allow me to move towards my goals...
    The people who make it to the top level of anything athletic tend to be genetically gifted freaks of nature. Comparing yourself to them is useless and will only lead to frustration.

Secondly, strength is a persistent adaptation. The other aspects of athleticism are fleeting. Endurance can be gained in about 3 weeks. Strength takes longer, but sticks around longer. Get strong first.

T NATION | Conditioning is a Sham

I'm not going to bash my head against a wall. If you want to insist that strength training makes you stronger in the absence of adequate recovery time, then have at it and best of luck. Get your sleep and eat plenty.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast