Thread: Help Surviving NHS Care + Hastening recoup time. page

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member

Help Surviving NHS Care + Hastening recoup time.

Shop Now
    As mentioned in my last thread, Im going to be going for abdominal surgery in the near future and am trying to plan ahead to minimize recoup & healing time.
    I absolutely hate being on "down time" so will probably be climbing the walls before I even get out of the hospital. (I plan on making sure the staff is to so at least we will be even)

Currently I eat pretty primal, No grains, no processed food, most of my food is locally sourced, most my meat is grass fed, Only small amounts of sugar (ie honey in my chia tea, occasional homemade treat etc)
    I take 20,000iu Vit D (will probably double this during & will try to spend time outside weather permitting) vit B complex & iodine.
    Im also planning on taking Transfer factor/Colostrum (boost immune system) before & after & possibly Oregano oil (Natural antibiotic)

Does anyone have any other suggestions for things I can do, food or supplements to look into etc anything to hasten my recovery and avoid complications?
    What about restoring gut flora after the antibiotic sludge you know there going to pump me full of? Any suggestions for a good probiotic available in the UK..Is the ones by Garden of Life any good? Or would regular yogurt do the trick? (I get mine from the local dairy)

Im dealing with the *cough* wonderful NHS so suspect that fasting is going to be on the charts while in hospital although getting Hubby to bring me sticks of butter, a whole roasted duck & raw liver to chow down on might just be worth the looks on the nurses faces...
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hey DinoHunter!

I do have a suggestion, but I hope you read this the way I intend, and not as a smartass comment, so here goes: have a positive attitude about this. I mean, if this is a necessary procedure, and you agree to have it done, concentrate on the fact that the medical know-how exists to do this without killing you outright, and perhaps even get you to a "healthier" state than you are now.

Negative states of mind add even more stress to the whole thing, you know?

Otherwise, do have hubby bring you a Primal lunch bucket each day you are in the hospital, as soon as you are allowed to eat, and it sounds like you have thought of everything, otherwise. My only other suggestion is to add a homeopathic general tonic like "Bioplasma" if you are open to/familiar with homeopathics (not all are - I'm totally aware many consider it wooooooo).
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    I do have a suggestion, but I hope you read this the way I intend, and not as a smartass comment, so here goes: have a positive attitude about this. I mean, if this is a necessary procedure, and you agree to have it done, concentrate on the fact that the medical know-how exists to do this without killing you outright, and perhaps even get you to a "healthier" state than you are now.

Negative states of mind add even more stress to the whole thing, you know?.
    Totally follow you & that parts no issue.. the surgery should be pretty straightforward and as long as they dont try keeping me in the hospital to long shouldn't be an issue. I will seriously be out of there the minute they let me. Much better to go home where I can relax & immerse myself in puppy therapy
    I know some things (like antibiotics) are things they have to do as part of it but the negatives of that are things I can sort out easily enough.
    I figure it better do as much as I can to help my body heal quickly instead of doing nothing & relying on the standard CW advice (from the people who brought you "eat more grains!")

Thanks for the Bioplasma recommendation, Im away to go look into it now. ( I have a feeling theres more "Wooo" in a lot of the Conventional medicine than they let on anyways....)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

Smileyshaz is offline Junior Member
    Tell them you're allergic to wheat, that way they have to cater to your diet (if they can get you to stay in long enough to need food!) Make sure you take plenty primal (non-refrigerator requiring) snacks with you, so when you are allowed to eat if the foods naff you don't end up fasting. I believe with abdo surgery you are required to go to the loo prior to being discharged and that's pretty darn difficult if there isn't anything in there to come out!

Best bit of advice though is "do not wind up the nurses" - they are the ones that are gonna be sticking you with the big needles! ;-)
    Respect Mother Nature - for you are small and biodegradable!

They already have a record of allergy's (Penicillin & possibly soy) so I doubt I could just add to the list but if it comes up ill simply tell them I don't eat wheat or processed food as im "sensitive" to a lot of it.
    Its not like there gonna sit on me & force feed me soyburgers (I dont think.... )

Im thinking I will prepare a few things ahead of time so my hubby can bring stuff to eat in during visiting hours .
    Not sure how long before im going to feel like eating though, having never had any major surgery before im not sure if the surgery effects are going to make me not wanna eat for a while or if i will feeling my normal appetite.

Oh & I wouldn't purposely wind up the nurses but my experience with NHS to date has been that they dont appreciate having there methods questioned or argued with.. & im not the type of person to do (or allow done to me) something just because the "Dr. said so" without doing my own research... Luckily im not scared of needles

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smileyshaz View Post
    Best bit of advice though is "do not wind up the nurses" - they are the ones that are gonna be sticking you with the big needles! ;-)
    Ohmigosh!!! This is soooo true!! From the appointment ladies everywhere, to nurses, to the "little people" in customer service in each and every profession, be appreciative and civil, and things go much, much better! I get the most amazing appointments scheduled at the Cleveland Clinic because I schmooze the appointment ladies, for instance. I am not being a false person, either - mostly I just remember to honestly thank them and they are so unused to that, that they remember me, and next time they go out of their way to try and make certain times happen for me, for example.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Jadzia81 is offline Junior Member
    I had really, really major abdominal surgery not quite two months ago. Now I'm in the US, not the UK, but most of this stuff will hold true.

First of all, see if you can get an estimate of how long your stay is expected to be. I was released the next day. Granted, I was extremely ill from the surgery, but not hospital stay ill. So based on the estimate, you can plan.

That being said, don't worry about food in the hospital. In fact, I strongly recommend you don't attempt to eat anything for the rest of the day after you get out of the recovery room. They'll probably bring you broth and maybe a ginger ale or something. I thought I'd be ok, I'd kept down the ice chips. Don't do it. Puking immediately after abdominal surgery was one of the most awful experiences of my life (and I was on some heavy painkillers). If you are there for more than overnight, you still won't have much of an appetite. I felt hungry a little, but a bite or two of food was just about it for me. Rich things will probably not sit very well for a day or two after surgery. I normally eat my steak super rare, but found that I had to have it nearly well done for a few days or else it turned my stomach. Anesthesia is notorious for killing appetites. Don't sweat it for a few days. Try to get a lot of fluids and protein when you can stomach it. Have the husband bring you something small if/when you feel up to it.

Otherwise, of course, be nice to the nurses. I just habitually say please and thank you to everything, and also always ask what they are doing, and my nurses never seemed at all put out. You'll likely be on an IV antibiotic, so they will have to change that and the saline at least once. Maybe twice. Painkillers could be IV, or a separate injection. If you are having a big incision, you'll have drains that they will have to check frequently. It's kinda icky.

Doing all you can to heal is great. But it takes a long time. If you have a big incision you will probably be swollen for a long, long time after the surgery. I still am. Not like it was a few weeks after, but there a lot of the lymph system in the abdominal area, and it often gets cut up in abdominal surgery. Until those channels repair themselves fully, the swelling continues.

Good luck!!

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Don't make the mistake of thinking your recovery time will be short. Other people said the same thing to me before my Abdominal Aortic Annuerism surgery. But I was in good shape and though it would be a simple thing. Not so. When they cut those core muscles and stitch them back together, it takes most people 1 year.

Of course when you leave the hospital, I was in 3 days including the surgery day, you feel great; this means nothing. I wasn't on PB at the time. Hopefully it will be faster for you. But don't push it too hard, be very happy if it takes only 6 months, and not unhappy if it takes longer.

I was fed a clear diet while in the hospital, so diet didn't matter. But I was starving when I left. My husband asked me what I wanted for dinner and I replied - KSC. We drove there and he picked up a bucket of chicken and all the trimmings. At home, once installed, I picked up a chicken leg, original style, raised it toward my mouth, and almost vomited. I've never eated KSC since then.

In the operation, they had pumped me full of antibiotics and run my blood through a machine that also cleaned it. I was really, really clean inside. As I raised that chicken leg to my mouth, I could smell every separate chemical in the breading and in the chicken, I do believe. And it was nausiating. Really bad.

So I'd advise that you eat only the very freshest, cleanest foods the first week or two, until you've re-aclimated to our poisoned environment. Or it could be that you're having a different type of operation.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 02-17-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks
    I was thinking stuff like bone broth (maybe watered down) Yogurt etc to start with, I wouldn't be surprised if my appetite is compleatly shot for a few days.
    Im not sure how big of an incision they will be making, Im having a large fibroid removed that is outside the uterus & restricting my kidney (so embolization is risky as there's 50% chance it wouldn't work & cause worse problems) obviously they need to make a big enough cut to remove it.
    The Dr did say that it would be less invasive than doing something like a myomectomy or hysterectomy as it means they dont really need to mes around with/touch anything else.