Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: I had a psychosis several times page 7

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Nice!

I take Magnesium citrate every evening to help me sleep. Many are deficient in it, as it is no longer as abundant in water or soil.

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    Just one thing, I found Omega-3 actually makes me feel more anxious/odd if I take supplements. Kippers seem to be fine, and have a lot of natural creatine too, so I go for those and tins of sardines. I think omega-3 is quite an over-rated nutrient, and as with all common wisdom 'health' foods you have to read between the lines. Good quality saturated fat agrees with me more than omegas, although good quality extra virgin olive oil generally makes me feel good too
    My understanding is that it's rarely a lack of omega-3 in the diet so much as the skewed O3/O6 ratio, so if you avoid O6s in favour of saturated fats, you don't need much in the way of O3s to balance them. We eat salmon or smoked mackerel once a week and only use coconut oil in cooking.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Michiel, I think you're right to keep pursuing good quality deep sleep and noting what does and doesn't work. Also congratulations on 2 months primal, you've come a long way in that time.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Michiel is offline Member
    I started eating more fish and also more vegetables.

I do notice I have a lot of gas from vegetables. I thought you should stop farting on this diet. Also my urine is still smelly, but less then it was. I am going to experiment with buying biological food. I can't afford the meat, but some vegetables I can sure pay. From previous experience I know they are far more tasty and probably are going to add a lot of much needed nutrients.

Sleep is still problematic. Running in the freshest air forest I know around here helps. I hate I live in a city. I am in desperate need of fresh air. I can stand being inside and around traffic very bad. The forest really helps though. Get my lungs filled with clean air.

I really want to move to a cleaner area or country even. I hate the traffic, crowdedness, smog and everything and it would really help. I am thinking maybe Sweden In the future. Sick thing is, for the Netherlands I already live pretty clean.

God I want my live back.

I am painting again, but I really need to switch away from using turpentine. When I use it, things around me feel less real. So I will stop.

I also totally stopped alcohol and coffee. Especially the alcohol is great to stop with for me. I never really had a serious alcohol problem, and even though I already hardly drank, stopping is the best. I seem to react very sensitive to the slightest amount of chemical toxins. Very sensitive!

Last night I ate really copious, it seemed to help to sleep better, but today I had to get up early so can't really tell yet.

Getting enough time outside is a real issue.

Sounds like the turpentine is affecting you - can you use water-based paints instead? Acrylics or gouache? Avoiding organic solvents is porbably a good thinig for a while. And yes, if you can have a break from alcohol for a few weeks, it's one less thing to add to your stresses.

Glad you can get to a forest at least for some fresh air and I would think that whatever helps you to sleep better is a good thing. I wouldn't worry too much about paying for organic produce, as long as you're eating whole food and avoiding grains and legumes and sticking with healthy fats, you're allowing your body to heal.

Well done, Michiel. Stick with it.

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    I've read a couple books lately that certainly lend credence to the idea that in some (many) cases psychosis may in fact be an autoimmune condition. Such as Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness and Gut and Psychology Syndrome. There is also a known correlation that schizophrenics are at higher risk than the general population for celiac disease - and celiac disease is also comorbid with many other autoimmune conditions. I definitely think that going paleo may not only improve your physical health but could help with your mental health issues too!

My dad is a clinical psychologist and I've taken upper level credit hours in abnormal psychology and graduate psychology courses (though that is not what my degree is in) . . . so I would encourage you to take a holistic approach. Definitely, definitely change your diet - it will not hurt you one bit to give it a try. I'd even say that you might seriously consider doing an autoimmune and/or GAPS style paleo diet for added healing.

Try to reduce your overall chemical load from plastics, parabens, sulfates, etc. in your body care and household cleaners. Reduce your use of plastics too (as much as they will allow you to - I know in in-patient facilities you often get everything in plastics because it's harder to harm yourself or others with plastic ware than it is with glass and metal silverware).

Talk with your doctor(s) about weaning off of your medications, or at least, getting to the lowest manageable dose and seeing if it's possible to test for autoimmunity - esp. celiac and NMDA receptor disease.

Good luck!
    Last edited by OutdoorAmy; 06-22-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your tips. Because of your renotification on GAPS I started fermenting food today. Pickels and sauerkraut. Good gut bacteria is very important, so I understand.

Also I made everything biological today. Eating biological makes a huge difference I can tell. I am already very sensitive to toxins and in need of nutrients, so I want to go as biological as possible. If you eat in season the price is quiet doable.

This monday I can start working as a volunteer at the biological farm I was at today. They give out some stuff for free so that's economic next to the fact that farms are very therapeutic environments for people with mental issues.

I am happy

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michiel View Post
    Hi cryptocode, hope you don't mind me quoting you just for the sake of emphasizing it for myself. I think mainly with the sporting you are right, I stopped sporting now, because I still have a hard time getting to sleep. Mental illness as I understand has a great deal to do with micronutrient deficiencies, so I guess that's why sporting is such a big sleep depriving thing for me... as well as probably slowly corrupting my sanity now that I think of it. I do need all my nutrients to build my brain and energy levels. It's the hardest part for me, because I love sporting and increasing my athletesism.

My high potential seems to lead to high frequent failing. Small clever steps, no manic indulgence is key!!!

I do keep feeling more earthy, so that's good. I sleep very deep when I sleep, but still take long to get to sleep. Always past 12, but fairly soon awake and when I do get out of bed I have immediate energy. That is so special! I was dead for hours before primal eating.

I hope the psychological earthy feeling will continue. I take great pride in my logical and rational thinking abilities, which might sound strange from someone who has gotten so manic that he travelled from the Netherlands to Ireland with no baggage, thinking he was a secret agent, but I do normally and now with these new primal effects of added earthiness and times of the day that my mind feels crystal clear I grow true confidence in myself. I stand up straight more and more knowing that I am a well articulate - in Dutch - man. I feel very happy about it.

I used to think I was awesome, because I knew how to dress and act better than others, now I just feel calm and have a confidence which comes from much deeper and connect to people emphatically more easy and more often, without being 'so up there' mostly because of tiredness and insecurity.

The fading of tiredness feels great, but I do think I should be cautious to put my energy in realistic endeavors.

This Tuesday I will finally move to a room for myself. 'Full primal' will start than!
    Sorry for being so long in responding. I don't usually go to the Meet and Greet pages. Do think about starting your own journal page. We'll all follow you there. It's great to hear that you are doing so well.

Giving up alcohol is great, perfect. (I read the rest of your thread.) My advice is to stay away from it for around 20 years or more.

1) Sleep has been a life-long problem for me - insomnia, taking hours to fall asleep. About 30 years ago I went to a Univ. class locally on Meditation. Had an Indian Bio-chemistry PhD instructor. Odd. When I walked in the classroom there was a beautiful picture of a foamy, frothy glass of beer on the front screen. The foam was spilling down the outside of the glass onto a table top.

The teacher likened this to your mind. All day, every minute, stimulus is entering your mind. Your nervous system is supposed to be able to process it in real time, so to speak, but our lives or alcohol make a huge overload on it and it fails to complete processing, resulting in the 'spilling over' effects in the picture. Then when you sleep the processing completes, sometimes; often not; due to overload. Meditation can complete the process. It's purpose is to turn off the conscious mind. Stop it from running, or from doing anything at all.

It does work. You may still have trouble sleeping from very low carb dieting. With meditation you can relax the nervous system and each muscle in your body. Gives you something to do while laying in bed at night, and at least your body gets good rest from it.

2) Where is your art work? I don't even see a link. I must be looking in the wrong place.

3) I'm 75 now. My family lived in Tokyo, Japan from 1945 to 1953; before and after that we lived in evey war zone available. In Japan, as in most places, the populace was starving. There was no food and the water was bad. From time to time bombs fell nearby. What are today called terrorists, then underground gorillas, caused massive security (and safety ) problems. (My father was in the military.) My parents fought all the time, emotionally, verbally and physically. In my youth my food was canned or dried, and that was all. Water went through a lengthy sterilizing process with the result of bad taste. We never had fresh veggies, fruit, or milk.

My several diagnosis of schizo during those years seem perfectly normal to me both then and now. But now I think the DSM is a bunch of crap.

4) What exactly are you eating. Please list a typical days menu.

5) Ted Talks (on youtube) has lots of interesting speakers. This is good. Stroke of insight - Jill Bolte Taylor - YouTube
    After I married and left home, mental and affective effects slowly disappeared in about 5 years. However at 50 I experienced the joy and euphoria of a number of exceptionally real visions. Wonderful! Alas, they stopped. I wish I could do that purposively.

Also on youtube is Ancestral Health and PaleoFX which are well worth the time.

6) You are undoubted very smart - left brain. All schizos are. Use it. It will give focus, meaning and accomplishment to your life. Study and learn formally and informally. This will also help you get well. Maybe you will become a bio-chemist or an art critic, or a artist. Such external focus is a restful escape.

7) Sleep and lack of stress are the best cures. Next is diet. Next is pleasure and joy. Find positive joy every day, and laugh with it. Next is study and learning. Next maybe is exercise. Move slowly a lot, lift heavy once a week (move furniture or something), sprint once a week. Don't overdo it.

EDITED: removed some un-serious words.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 07-03-2013 at 10:09 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Hi Michael, are you still here?
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Yes I am, I will take the time to respond later!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast