Thread: How far or long should I make my training runs when training for a marathon page

TrackMom is offline Member

How far or long should I make my training runs when training for a marathon

Shop Now
    I haven't started training yet, I am currently just starting to rebuild my base, but I am starting to read the articles about marathon training, and can't seem to find anything about how far or long to make my training runs.

I used to run marathons, and I would like to try and qualify for Boston again. When I was serious about my training, my training schedule would range from 50 to 80 miles per week, from the start of the cycle to race day. I don't want to go there again.

So after reading Mark's article I will be running 4 - 5 times a week. 2 - 3 aerobic threshold runs, 1 interval, 1 race pace. What I would like to know from other primal marathoners is where do you draw the line? and is that line at distance or time?
    Goals:

Lose weight/fat!
    Get fit!
    Regain my health and energy!
    Run a marathon! (again)

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    FWIW I've never come close to a BQ. I think you need the long run to get adapted to hard effort over 26 miles. I like a 3- hour run 1-2 times per month. It takes me 4-5 hours to finish a marathon, depending on what kind of day I'm having. 3- hours on a training run for me means 18-20 miles distance at slower than marathon pace. I recover from that well. The runners I know that BQ and faster do a lot more distance at MP or faster over more mid range distance. (12-16 miles) while keeping a weekly or every other week long run. They BQ and also spend a fair amount of time each and every year injured and rehabbing injuries which effects their other races. If I were close to a BQ in time, I imagine I would sell out and go for it. The past year I have ran easy effort for an hour 5-6 days a week. I do interval workouts on a stationary bike and lift weights 3 times a week. Training like this allowed for a shorter ramp up in the Summer heat and a still enjoyable marathon on Labor Day.

TrackMom is offline Member
    Thanks. I don't mind doing a long run, even a long run at marathon pace, but I honestly think I would like to cut back from one every Sunday, to maybe every other Sunday.

Where I really would like to make changes in my old program is to reduced the distance of my mid-week runs, which were 6 - 10 miles, given the day. I think adding the strength will help, but I want this journey to be a lot mor fun than it has been in the past. Don't get me wrong, I love running, but I do think I burned out a bit when life's outside pressures compiled themselves during training.

I would like to think that a BQ training primally is doable.

Should I repost this under Primal Blueprint for Athletes?

Thanks again.
    Goals:

Lose weight/fat!
    Get fit!
    Regain my health and energy!
    Run a marathon! (again)