Thread: Omega 3 and 6 ratio - How do you determine? page

Question Omega 3 and 6 ratio - How do you determine?

Shop Now
    I have read several of Marks postings on fats and fish oils, and the ideal ratio of 1:1 for Omega 3 and Omega 6. How do you determine what ratio you currently have? I would assume it has to do with how much monounsaturated and polyunsaturated, but I am not sure. Anyone know how to determine your current ratio of Omega 3/6, as well as how much monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat you should consume?

A.M. Roots is offline Member
    go back a few pages and look at a thread I posted titled " omega 6 and animal products " good, detailed answer there. This has come up a lot lately. Most of us aren't just here to lose weight and want to get the most out of our diet. Understandable, good luck, I'm with ya on this one. Just keep reading.

Thanks for the reference... I looked at the thread (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...nimal-products) but still didn’t really see anything about determining the ratio of your food. People keep referencing chicken skin as being high in Omega 6, but I would like to determine what my ratio is based on my foods, and then adjust accordingly. I am guessing that most PB don’t really know what their ratio is or whether they are out of balance..?? My best guess is that people steer to the grass fed stuff to keep the omega 6 down, but really don’t know their ratio. Any thoughts from some long time PB on how you know if you are out of balance in your omega 6/3 ratio (other than just trying to eat more grass fed and DHA eggs and fish oil)...??

Suki is offline Senior Member
    You can't just figure it out on your own. Cron-o-meter tracks Omega-3s and Omega-6s if you want to track your ratios.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    One more thing: grass-fed beef has a better ratio than grain-fed but it's nowhere near as ideal as it's made out to be. If you're going to eat beef, you're right - grass-fed is the better option but it's overrated in terms of O3s; cold water fish is really your best bet. A tin of sardines a day or some canned salmon beats grass-fed beef any day in terms of Omega-3s.

I downloaded Cron-o-meter and it looks like my current 3:6 ratio is roughly 1:5. I guess that is pretty decent considrering I was probably 1:30-40 prior to PB.. I will continue to aim to lower the ratio, but all things considered, I guess that is pretty good. Hopefully my arteries wont be clogging any time soon!! Thanks for the help!