Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breathing issues page

jtuwiner is offline Junior Member

Breathing issues

Shop Now
    I'll begin this post with a story in order for people to understand just how frustrating this all is. I ask that you read everything in order to truly understand.

I used to play tennis. I was speedy and could get to any ball. I could play for hours with no breaks. One day, I had trouble breathing, turned pale, and had to stop playing for that day. Of course, I thought it was a one time occurrence so I went back out there two days later. Nope, I had the same trouble breathing.

We obviously thought it was asthma and I went to get tested. It turns out I did not have asthma yet the lazy doctors still gave me an inhaler that did nothing when used. Now, I could not longer play tennis or basketball, two sports I love. I was really limited to baseball. Even though baseball was my favorite sport it was still frustrating that I was not able to participate in all of the drills because I simply could not breath even after short times.

Eventually, I just gave up. Doctors were lazy and could not find a solution. This was all before I went primal. So, I went primal and that did help slightly. I am training for the army now and know that I will not be able to take part in a combat unit if I do not fix this before I get drafted.

I really need any suggestions that you believe can help me with this.

I should add that when I breath normally I do not feel like I get enough air. I am always yawning to get the air I need. After I yawn I do feel better for a bit, but usually just yawn again a few minutes later or need to take a very, very deep breath.

What specific meditation/yoga should I do? I know breathing through my nose is better, so how can I train myself to breath through my nose? Are there any back, stomach, chest stretches that can do something to help me?

I really am frustrated as this has been going on for probably over four years. I am in great shape, but just have no stamina due to my inability to breath. I am really open to anything with this because I have tried everything and nothing has worked.

Thanks in advance for any help. I really do appreciate it.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    What about an elimination diet? I had trouble for a while and it turns out it was yeast and it was in way too much food for me to figure it out easily. Cleaning products might be another culprit. Wish I could help more, I'd given up on being athletic and now I'm finally starting to get back into exercising.

Quote Originally Posted by notlupus View Post
    What about an elimination diet? I had trouble for a while and it turns out it was yeast and it was in way too much food for me to figure it out easily. Cleaning products might be another culprit. Wish I could help more, I'd given up on being athletic and now I'm finally starting to get back into exercising.
    Thanks so much for the response. As noted above I'm willing to try everything so I will definitely try an elimination diet. when you say cleaning products, do you mean air sprays, etc? My roommate uses them a lot so perhaps I will ask him to not use them.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Has your roommate been using them for the last 4 years? Probably not the culprit, but it can't hurt to eliminate them and anyone who wouldn't quit using air freshener to see if it was causing their roommate's breathing issues is a miserable person. Might as well buy some unscented laundry detergent to try as well.

If there is anything other than exercise that makes it worse be sure to write down ALL the times it happens. Have you tried taking a benadryl before you exercise for a couple days to see if you have any improvement? Is it worse with outdoor exercise? I finally figured out the yeast thing because I would wheeze off and on for the rest of the night after having a glass of wine.

I'm assuming the doctors tested you for autoimmune crap and other medical conditions that could be causing it.

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    Have you had a spirometry test done, pulse oximetry when you're well? Certainly try an elimination diet but I would also want to know what's going on medically! It could just be you haven't found the right Dr yet.
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Breathing Slower and Less: The Greatest Health Discovery Ever?

Try bag breathing. Do you breathe better at higher altitudes? Gotten any lab tests to check for high adrenaline, lactate, co2, etc? Do you feel like you're experiencing frequent anxiety attacks or racing pulse?
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Quote Originally Posted by notlupus View Post
    Has your roommate been using them for the last 4 years? Probably not the culprit, but it can't hurt to eliminate them and anyone who wouldn't quit using air freshener to see if it was causing their roommate's breathing issues is a miserable person. Might as well buy some unscented laundry detergent to try as well.

If there is anything other than exercise that makes it worse be sure to write down ALL the times it happens. Have you tried taking a benadryl before you exercise for a couple days to see if you have any improvement? Is it worse with outdoor exercise? I finally figured out the yeast thing because I would wheeze off and on for the rest of the night after having a glass of wine.

I'm assuming the doctors tested you for autoimmune crap and other medical conditions that could be causing it.
    Yeah, I'm going to start a log with what I eat, how I feel after I exercise, and how my breathing felt. I guess I can search for a trend.

I actually haven't been tested for anything other than asthma. I suppose maybe I should get some bloodwork done during my spring break. Thanks for the help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Athanasey View Post
    Have you had a spirometry test done, pulse oximetry when you're well? Certainly try an elimination diet but I would also want to know what's going on medically! It could just be you haven't found the right Dr yet.
    I believe I had both tests done and only came out a tick below-average. I'm not positive though. I do remember breathing as hard as possible into some things and I did have terrible scores, but they were not great either.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Breathing Slower and Less: The Greatest Health Discovery Ever?

Try bag breathing. Do you breathe better at higher altitudes? Gotten any lab tests to check for high adrenaline, lactate, co2, etc? Do you feel like you're experiencing frequent anxiety attacks or racing pulse?
    I definitely should get some lab tests done. Would basic bloodwork cover all of what you mentioned or do I need to ask specifically? That's the thing. I've read a lot that this kind of breathing issue could be the cause of anxiety, but that would surprise me. I am active, sleep well for good amounts of time, and am a positive person who is rarely upset. I consider myself as someone with very low anxiety so it would surprise me if these issues are anxiety related.

Thanks for all of the help and responses! I should also add that I've tried the breathing Mark talks about here: How to Breathe Correctly | Mark's Daily Apple

I can do what he says, but even when I do so I do not feel like my lungs are filling up or that I am taking in enough oxygen. I really only feel like my lungs get filled when I yawn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast