Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Breathing issues page 2

  1. #11
    jtuwiner's Avatar
    jtuwiner is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    29
    Shop Now
    I am also thinking maybe I should look into purchasing an iron supplement.

  2. #12
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,332
    Quote Originally Posted by jtuwiner View Post
    I definitely should get some lab tests done. Would basic bloodwork cover all of what you mentioned or do I need to ask specifically? That's the thing. I've read a lot that this kind of breathing issue could be the cause of anxiety, but that would surprise me. I am active, sleep well for good amounts of time, and am a positive person who is rarely upset. I consider myself as someone with very low anxiety so it would surprise me if these issues are anxiety related.
    You would need extensive blood work, so I'd ask for specifics. High iron in the blood can suppress co2. Test that, co2, thyroid, and stress hormones specifically.

    You don't need to be mentally upset to get anxiety attacks. Things like food allergies, excitement, etc; can cause them, it depends on what's going on inside you.

    Breathing in a brown lunch bag allows you to retain co2, thus increasing it. o2 displaces co2 so at higher altitudes more co2 is retained due to lower oxygen pressure. These are good ways to test if you're possibly hyperventilating. I know that, when I was, I found I breathed much, much better in the mountains, so I worked on increasing co2 through breathing in a brown bag. Now I do this a few minutes each day, it sounds whacky, but it really helps.

    Are you comfortable breathing through your nose, or is it difficult? Can be a sign of high lactate if this is the case.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 02-16-2013 at 10:28 PM.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

  3. #13
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,332
    Quote Originally Posted by jtuwiner View Post
    I am also thinking maybe I should look into purchasing an iron supplement.
    Nooo, please do not do that. If anything, I would begin supplementing copper. 2mg every day, unless you're eating regular copper rich foods like liver.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

  4. #14
    Smileyshaz's Avatar
    Smileyshaz is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4
    Also get your heart checked out whilst you're at the dr. I have episodes where my heart skips beats (been investigated and they are apparantly "benign ectopics" and quite common) which makes it feel like I haven't got enough oxygen and I often end up coughing/yawning when if happens.
    Respect Mother Nature - for you are small and biodegradable!

  5. #15
    Silvergirl's Avatar
    Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    478
    I also have been having similar symptoms, haven't figured it all out yet, but several things have helped. One is elimination diet, removing eggs in particular, but also dairy. Treatment for bad duodenal ulcer, and seeing a chiropractor for ribs. Often this can be caused by multiple things. Good luck.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

  6. #16
    NZ primal Gwamma's Avatar
    NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    4,236
    I agree about the bloods and when you get them done I would also suggest an ECG while you are there. It can't hurt to check and then you can tick that one off the list.
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

    ...small steps....

  7. #17
    paleodutch's Avatar
    paleodutch is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    263
    i had a diminished lung capyacity, has been down to 65 %, for many years and was feeling out of breath and turning pale or blue lips more often. Quitting cow diary helped and i now feel like capacity is back to 100%
    i also had the hart skipping beats in the 6 months before going primal, had it happen once since i stopped diary. luckily i can eat goatmilk cheese, cream and butter. I started feeling better within a week, so it is easy to try.

  8. #18
    Lewis's Avatar
    Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,316
    Quote Originally Posted by jtuwiner View Post

    I really need any suggestions that you believe can help me with this.
    I do think allergens in what you eat can contribute to this kind of thing. However, I also think this can be a learnt (unhelpful) muscular response that needs to be undone, and that is difficult to undo. I would try Alexander Technique. It's not cheap, but it does work very well for this kind of thing. I'd take a handful of lessons -- 3 at least -- and see how you get on with it:

    American Society for the Alexander Technique (AmSAT) |

  9. #19
    jtuwiner's Avatar
    jtuwiner is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    You would need extensive blood work, so I'd ask for specifics. High iron in the blood can suppress co2. Test that, co2, thyroid, and stress hormones specifically.

    You don't need to be mentally upset to get anxiety attacks. Things like food allergies, excitement, etc; can cause them, it depends on what's going on inside you.

    Breathing in a brown lunch bag allows you to retain co2, thus increasing it. o2 displaces co2 so at higher altitudes more co2 is retained due to lower oxygen pressure. These are good ways to test if you're possibly hyperventilating. I know that, when I was, I found I breathed much, much better in the mountains, so I worked on increasing co2 through breathing in a brown bag. Now I do this a few minutes each day, it sounds whacky, but it really helps.

    Are you comfortable breathing through your nose, or is it difficult? Can be a sign of high lactate if this is the case.
    I do have difficulty breathing through my nose. I am practicing every night before bed in order to transition into a nose breather.

  10. #20
    jtuwiner's Avatar
    jtuwiner is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Smileyshaz View Post
    Also get your heart checked out whilst you're at the dr. I have episodes where my heart skips beats (been investigated and they are apparantly "benign ectopics" and quite common) which makes it feel like I haven't got enough oxygen and I often end up coughing/yawning when if happens.
    Will do. Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •