Thread: Stupid allergies! page

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

Stupid allergies!

Primal Fuel
    For the first time, ever, my allergies are hitting me really hard. Up until about noon today, I had them really under control, even more so since I'm primal (mostly). Now, I'm itching in places I didn't know it was possible (inside the inner ear canal, on the inside of the eyelid, roof of my mouth) and sneezing these great whoppers. My eyes are watering too. I have no idea what to do other than take Sudafed and pass out, which I can't do at work. Help!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I think I'm allergic to stupid as well!

Well, I know I'm allergic to dumb****s and most forms of BS that I don't spew. I do work at City Hall....
    I know my physical reactions are due to the Rowan/ Chinese Mountain Ash Tree.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    You sound like you managed to challenge your system with something it's sensitive to, but which you had not eaten or been in contact with for awhile.

It happened to me when, after six weeks on Elaine Gottschall's Specified Carbohydrate Diet, I was famished one day and had a cheesecake and a little bag of corn chips. All my trigger foods at once, after six weeks without! Even though it wasn't hay fever season, I had a massive hay fever attack, which eased off after about an hour.

If you can figure out what the trigger was, of course you'll be way ahead in the struggle. Did you eat or drink something you had been avoiding? Did you have a new supplement or medication, or maybe use some soap or other toiletry item which is new? Once a laundry detergent got me going.

"Breaking the Vicious Cycle" is the book I used to heal my leaky gut. I think I'm about due for another strict dose of it.

I had a new variety of ginger snaps I'd never had before (and after 2 months of PB to boot) Sunday evening. It's either that or the bandaid the nurse stuck on me after they took my blood this morning. The bandaid was a variety I knew used the adhesive I allergic to, which why I ripped it off as soon as possible.
    I actually didn't make the connection of the allergy to my bursitis..

micki7 is offline Junior Member
    What you are describing may be a food allergy. If you keep a food journal (it's a great tool!) try to find what items might have HIDDEN inflammation causing agents. You say you are "mostly" primal? It's that "mostly" that'll get you! Sometimes even tiny amounts of "anti-nutrients" can aggravate the symptoms you are describing. You might try an intermittent fast for the rest of the day, drinking plenty of clean (filtered or bottled) water, then tomorrow morning and the next few days make SURE that you are going COMPLETELY primal (no grains, beans, dairy) and see if your symptoms don't clear up.
    It's a good thing to be aware that symptoms can show up DAYS after the questionable item has been ingested.

micki7 is offline Junior Member
    Oh, I forgot to add: I think That Trader Joe's puts out a "gluten free" ginger snap, I used to eat them before I went primal.

I'm usually 100% aboard the primal train (aside from instances when timing just blows (i.e. Sunday) or I'm in over my head with stress and eating right goes out the window [only happnned once so far]). Unfortunately, I forgot to eat before I went to my in- laws place and at 11 pm that was a 30 hr fast. I was starting to get light headed and reached for the closest food. I did a 13 hr fast until lunch the next day and have been fully primal since.
    Last edited by naiadknight; 04-27-2010 at 12:38 PM.

danneva is offline Junior Member
    You should try the elimination diet to know the real cause if that was caused by food allergy. Initial treatment for a food allergy consists of identifying the food that causes the allergy and learning how to deal with both and mild and serious reactions. Tell your family, friends, and co-workers that you have a food allergy and ask them to help you avoid the food. Read and learn all the allergens that will cause you allergic.
    Last edited by danneva; 11-02-2010 at 07:28 AM.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    One symptom of allergies for me, in addition to stuffy nose and itchy eyes are massive outbreaks of canker sores...for years I thought it was herpes virus. Then one day, after a week of misery, with 8 -10 sores in my mouth, having eaten a square of Christmas chocolate fudge every day, I took Benadryl and my mouth cleared up within hours! I was shocked.