Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whey protein to build muscle mass page

uuklyph Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Ive been primal for a few months now and I am looking to gain some muscle mass. My main problem is getting enough protein. I recently read in mark's blog that adding a dozen eggs to your diet can help but I am wondering if I can instead add a few whey protein shakes a day on top of what I normally eat to supplement my protein needs. Does this seem logical? Also, I am wondering if anyone has any favorite types of whey protein that are good and relatively inexpensive. And I know that whey protein isn't exactly primal but I just find it hard and expensive finding enough solid forms of protein. Sorry for the long post, thanks.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I use it occasionally to supplement my diet if I'm falling short on protein, or short on time to cook some proper eggs.

If you have a Wegman's near you, I LOVE their brand. It's all-natural and all that. I use a cup of water, 2 eggs, whey protein and maybe some fruit.

Kash3600 Guest

i would recomend whey protein to any one who is into fitness, be their goals to gain mass, get more lean, etc, i think whey is a great place to start, the biggest impact on mass would probably be changes in your daily diet, though personally i look at it as gaining " good mass" or "bad mass", people want to look fit and lean so personally i am carefull when putting on pounds. but my saying is " go by the mirror not the scale" because if you look great, does the number REALLY matter?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I thought Kash lost his/her caps until "REALLY."

freshbakedpi is offline Junior Member

Heh ;o)

Not exactly on topic, but I usually have an abundance from making curds & whey & straining yogurt (which my daughter loves). I either use it for soaking or give it to the hens.

It's really rich... have you seen the stuff? Literally gold - it resembles colstrum! Amazing! It's a very dense heavy food - denser than stock! Hard to describe if you haven't seen it. I wonder how much of its nutrients remain after it's dehydrated.

I have a problem with powders in general. It's purely sensory. Unless they're ground spices, I can't think of any time I'd say "Oh AWESOME! I can't wait to eat a POWDER!"

Anyway! I feel you on the expense of meat. I'm fortunate to have an abundance of farmers (& farmers markets) in my area. I buy large whole cuts of meat (or whole animals e.g. chickens, fish), roast them & eat them as snacks, breakfast, lunch, diner - whatever.

For me it's cheaper to do this than buy "lunchmeat" and various steaks or chicken breasts & other "modern groceries." I just don't buy much else. Just meat, vegetables to supplement my garden, nuts & seeds (especially for my little girl) & some fruits.

Ramble! Good luck with finding something right for you! Hopefully someone else will be less wordy & more helpful )

uuklyph Guest

thanks for all the advice so far. I am into fitness and have been crossfitting for about six months. Over the past two weeks, I've been increasing my protein intake with an egg protein powder and I believe I have gained a pound or two of muscle while keeping my body fat percentage constant. The main thing is trying to find a whey protein that I can use after my egg protein runs out. Any relatively cheap and effective whey favorites? Unfortunately I don't have any Wegman's near me.

Tarlach is offline Member

I find that extra protein adds nothing to muscle gains. I personally do a lot better eating paleo and skipping the protein powder.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

evil_O Guest

Optimum Nutrition makes a good whey that I am partial to. "Gold Standard" Vanilla Ice Cream is what I like. Mixes well. Minimal amount of water to do it. Does NOT clump.

One rounded scoop is 24g of protein. 3g of carbs with only 1g of sugar. Total fat is 1g.

Like you, I am a CrossFitter. I find one scoop (twice daily) helps supplement what I am eating (VERY new to PB).

Hope that helps.

BTW... 5 pounds of it runs about 40 bucks. Not bad in the world of proteins.

gazb is offline Junior Member

I like the unflavoured stuff; I get it from MyProtein which is a UK site. For US, I've heard of TrueProtein, not sure if they do unflavoured as I haven't really looked. It has a very "dairyish" taste to it, like milk or cheese, but I prefer that to the artificially sweet flavoured kind (and there's the whole artificial sweeteners issue).

Whey is dairy so the usual dairy debate applies. I'm not convinced myself that whey every day is healthy, so at some point I'll try a dairy free couple of weeks to see if I feel healthier, and if so just save the powder for occasional use if there's nothing else quickly available like Diana says. My twin brother felt a lot better after cutting down on dairy, and I dare say we're genetically similar so I might do too...

uuklyph Guest

Has anyone tried Dymatize Elite All Natural protein? I found a 5 lb tub for only 31 bucks. It does not have any sugar or artificial sweeteners in it, while most other powders have sucralose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast