Thread: Primal Journal - Sandman page

Sandman is offline Member

Free from the clutches of cereal - Sandman's primal journal

Primal Fuel
    I went primal 11/26/12 after discovering MDA and spending a few hours reading things that just seemed to make sense.

I've decided to keep a simple log of moments during my journey. Sure, this is kind of public, but since I find myself in the forums all the time, might as well do it here so I don't forget to write things down once in a while.

Before going primal, I was a "healthy" fat guy - a formerly very lean and athletic person whose weight jumped during my 20s following an injury and kept creeping up as my lifestyle shifted more toward the desk than the mountains. I was healthy in that I never looked like a blubbery blob and always had decent blood pressure and cholesterol measures. However, I never realized how poor my health was until I incorporated PB into my life.

The story begins...

HW=230, SW=210, CW=176, GW=160 (or something...who knows?)
    Last edited by Sandman; 03-15-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    My blog: Regular Guy Paleo and please feel free to "like" my Facebook page.

Very cold day snowboarding today. After so many years snowboarding, I don't usually think of it as a workout, but this season, much of our time on-slope has been helping teach our 5-year old. No doubt, long runs spent balancing on one edge will certainly engage multiple muscle groups.

Big victory of the day: our daughter's Girl Scout cookies arrived for distribution. Managed to have an open sleeve of thin mints waved in front of me on the drive back from the mountain without feeling any real urge to eat one.

Next step: Italian themed afternoon of food and first time watching of The Godfather this evening with company.

After a recent birthday party for my son, I've come to a fairly firm conclusion: sugar might be one of the most addictive substances. One slice of birthday cake might not create any real trouble, in and of itself, however the draw toward other minor sugary "cheats" can be a real problem, at least for me.

After a few days with company, and a dessert here or there, I noticed how my moods became more volatile, my gut felt more bloated, my energy was low, and my weight loss had not only plateaued but increased a bit.

Going to have to be a bit more strict about the occasional sweet.

Feeling great after resuming very short body-weight work every other day. Enjoying the slightly warmer weather, along with evening walks and early AM light jogs. Can't wait to get the bike out again.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Sandman. Welcome! Keep up the good work.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Seems like the more virtuous I am with my overall diet, the more likely I am to allow myself a sugary treat at social gatherings. Despite not feeling well afterward, I still don't seem to do as well resisting.

So... I'm not on day 3 of a Whole 30. Mostly, it's not tricky for me, as I've avoided ingredient sugars in most products without difficulty (just not cake or brownies at social events). However, going without any dairy seems to result in a greater need for protein. In fact, I feel the need for meat at almost every meal. It's hard to plan for and buy that much.

One week of the Whole 30 is done. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me as I wasn't much for moderation, so the changes aren't that big. Occasionally, I find myself thinking I'd like a bit of cheese, but I don't miss the dairy or butter. Sugar is the biggest thing to stay away from, especially at work.

Meanwhile, down to 176, realizing that 170 is right around the corner. 7+ inches of the waistline and 4 inches off the neck, so far. Feeling great.