Thread: Strenthing Stomach Muscles

Hybrid View

Strenthing Stomach Muscles

Im going to be going for abdominal surgery in the near future (no date yet but certainly within 6 months & possibly much sooner) and was thinking that it would be a good idea to work on strengthening my abdominal muscles before hand.
    I do have pretty strong muscles but I figure that improving what I have can only help & hopefully mean faster recovery & less recoup time.

Any suggestions for things I can do to help with this? I do a lot of med-heavy lifting as part of my daily work and 1-2 times a week I do the essential movements workout (pushup/pullup/plank/squats)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

All that heavy lifting should help with core strength, I think what you are doing is great.

I would have suggested planks, you're already doing them so that's good. I detest sit-ups and crunches, so you'll never hear from me any suggestions for those. I do like to do leg raises (while hanging from my pull up bar). That seems to work my abs differently than planks. I also will do seated ball twists- I sit, lean back, lift my legs enough so my feet are off the ground, and with a weighted medicine ball twist back and forth so that the ball touches the floor on either side. But I truly think a good regimen of planks from different positions (high, low, side) pretty much nail the abs.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

I made a roller wheel using a small wheel barrel wheel that has proven to be effective. You can do it on your knees or from a standing/bent over position.

Thanks, I think ill play around with some of those ideas. Maybe add onto my PF workout days for a bit more of a workout while still keeping it only every 3-4 days.
    Also I have hand weights I can take the excess weight off of & maybe use as a roller wheel ... (barbell type)

I never found crunches/situps to be much work, I used to do like 300+ crunches effortlessly. (although im not sure if I could now) so im not sure how much muscle building they did if they were that easy....
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

you could train L-sit progressions