Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 80 of 80

Thread: Good read for anyone in LCHF land or on a crash diet or both. page 8

  1. #71
    whitebear's Avatar
    whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    Of course I have a right to eat. I have a right to do whatever the hell I please.

    Fasting for 3-5 (even two) consecutive days seems utterly pointless to me. As I said: I enjoy eating. It is what my body wants.
    No you do not have a right to eat. You most definitely have a right to try to obtain food and then eat it but you do not have a right to eat.

  2. #72
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,715
    I think that HFLC works most easily for heavy people because they have so much excess tissue to in reserve to burn when they eat below their caloric needs and because they already have those fats reserves their body trades in fat more readily rather than worrying about needing to conserve all the time like a very lean persons body might. The human body is after all programmed to want to maintain a certain percentage of fat for health, and even more for hard times if it can.

    I suspect it made you more hungry because you were already at the low end of your weight spectrum and the body didn't want to burn it's own meager fat stores... so your body was more resistant than a very heavy persons, and telling you "eat dammit!"

    That is just my speculation.


    I also know that for people who are lean and successful at NK who do so for medical reasons such as epilepsy (or those odd NK athletes), like Paleobird, they pay close attention to meeting their caloric needs, eat a wide variety of meats including organs, meats, and fish/shellfish for nutrition(or must supplement), and often work into the state slowly instead of trying to change their diet completely overnight.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  3. #73
    Shadowknight137's Avatar
    Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    No you do not have a right to eat. You most definitely have a right to try to obtain food and then eat it but you do not have a right to eat.
    So, in conclusion, if I have access to food I have the right to eat it?

    Mind = Blown. Thank God we got that out of the way.

  4. #74
    whitebear's Avatar
    whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    So, in conclusion, if I have access to food I have the right to eat it?

    Mind = Blown. Thank God we got that out of the way.
    Point being that in Groks days he/she was sure to go days sometimes without food and we are adapted to do the same and quite possibly without detriment.I believe it to be more likely to our benefit. Try to imagine having to hunt or gather for yourself every morsel that passes your lips.
    p.s. condescend much?
    Last edited by whitebear; 02-17-2013 at 11:46 PM.

  5. #75
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I think that HFLC works most easily for heavy people because they have so much excess tissue to in reserve to burn when they eat below their caloric needs and because they already have those fats reserves their body trades in fat more readily rather than worrying about needing to conserve all the time like a very lean persons body might. The human body is after all programmed to want to maintain a certain percentage of fat for health, and even more for hard times if it can.

    I suspect it made you more hungry because you were already at the low end of your weight spectrum and the body didn't want to burn it's own meager fat stores... so your body was more resistant than a very heavy persons, and telling you "eat dammit!"

    That is just my speculation.


    I also know that for people who are lean and successful at NK who do so for medical reasons such as epilepsy (or those odd NK athletes), like Paleobird, they pay close attention to meeting their caloric needs, eat a wide variety of meats including organs, meats, and fish/shellfish for nutrition(or must supplement), and often work into the state slowly instead of trying to change their diet completely overnight.
    Mmm. Good points. It makes me wonder though if there really is basis in metabolic typing. But that's another thread Thanks.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  6. #76
    Shadowknight137's Avatar
    Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    Point being that in Groks days he/she was sure to go days sometimes without food and we are adapted to do the same and quite possibly without detriment.I believe it to be more likely to our benefit. Try to imagine having to hunt or gather for yourself every morsel that passes your lips.
    I got your point. Yes, humans can last a very long duration of time without food. Yes, Grok had to hunt and kill and gather his meals. Of course.
    Should we reenact that by fasting 3-5 days? Um, no. This is the kind of thought that gives Paleo/Primal a bad name. Eating in moderation - or short bouts of fasting - is good enough. We don't need to recreate Grok's situation. That's just silly. Interesting, but pointless.


    Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    p.s. condescend much?
    Didn't mean it to come out that way, but take it as you will. Fasting to 3-5 days just means a higher risk of LBM loss and slowed metabolism. Not worth it, IMO.

    Btw, I've been pig hunting - no food for two days. That was long enough for me.

  7. #77
    whitebear's Avatar
    whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    I got your point. Yes, humans can last a very long duration of time without food. Yes, Grok had to hunt and kill and gather his meals. Of course.
    Should we reenact that by fasting 3-5 days? Um, no. This is the kind of thought that gives Paleo/Primal a bad name. Eating in moderation - or short bouts of fasting - is good enough. We don't need to recreate Grok's situation. That's just silly. Interesting, but pointless.




    Didn't mean it to come out that way, but take it as you will. Fasting to 3-5 days just means a higher risk of LBM loss and slowed metabolism. Not worth it, IMO.

    Btw, I've been pig hunting - no food for two days. That was long enough for me.
    lol 3-5 days is a short fast. Why exactly would this give primal/paleo a bad name when it is a perfectly healthy suggestion? No reason to lose LBM if you eat enough on feeding days. I'm not suggesting fasting that long between every feeding either.
    Last edited by whitebear; 02-18-2013 at 12:14 AM.

  8. #78
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,371
    Quote Originally Posted by zizou View Post
    So what are you eating nowadays and how do you generally feel?
    Milk, cheese, fruit, liver once a week, oysters every 2-3 days, potatoes with salt and honey, fruit juices, ice cream, coffee, mexican coca cola. I don't like to spend much money on food, so I try to stick to whatever is cheapest. Milk, and cheese, even organic, thanks to living literally one block away from Trader Joe's is much cheaper than organic meat, and a lot tastier, to me.

    I feel great(having a harder time saying this now since I've come down with the flu or something), but yeah.

    I was all set for a huge group hug and then this ^............... Gwamma has got some seriously twitchy fingers just itching to smack someones bottom...........................however thats not allowed etc....... so I will have to keep my digits to myself - BUGGAR
    eeep

    Going to turn a blind eye to the fasting topic, because it angers me.
    nihil

  9. #79
    Kochin's Avatar
    Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Horsham
    Posts
    918
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    lol 3-5 days is a short fast. Why exactly would this give primal/paleo a bad name when it is a perfectly healthy suggestion? No reason to lose LBM if you eat enough on feeding days. I'm not suggesting fasting that long between every feeding either.
    I think what Kiwi MEANS to say is that, whilst it's perfectly natural and possible to fast for extended periods of time, what is OPTIMAL depends on individual circumstances.
    An analogy: Masai, Jain and Inuit diets are all naturally occurring tribal diets which humans can follow long-term. All can sustain the human body and none, when done correctly, will impair your ability to live a full, natural life, have many kids and be healthy. However, depending on the person's genes, the food available and the type of exercise they do, one of those diets will be OPTIMAL. Likewise, whilst some human tribes don't fast at all, some fast frequently for short periods and some go for a week or more without more than a few nuts and leaves, what is optimal depends on the individual's situation.

    So, yes, Kiwi and I COULD fast for a week or more with no ill-effect, but, from the sound of it, it isn't optimal for either of us.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

    --
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

  10. #80
    Shadowknight137's Avatar
    Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    613
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    I think what Kiwi MEANS to say is that, whilst it's perfectly natural and possible to fast for extended periods of time, what is OPTIMAL depends on individual circumstances.
    An analogy: Masai, Jain and Inuit diets are all naturally occurring tribal diets which humans can follow long-term. All can sustain the human body and none, when done correctly, will impair your ability to live a full, natural life, have many kids and be healthy. However, depending on the person's genes, the food available and the type of exercise they do, one of those diets will be OPTIMAL. Likewise, whilst some human tribes don't fast at all, some fast frequently for short periods and some go for a week or more without more than a few nuts and leaves, what is optimal depends on the individual's situation.

    So, yes, Kiwi and I COULD fast for a week or more with no ill-effect, but, from the sound of it, it isn't optimal for either of us.
    Nailed it.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •