Thread: Fitness and preperation for the army page

jtuwiner is offline Junior Member

Fitness and preperation for the army

Primal Fuel
    I'm going to be joining an army soon, and want to be as prepared as possible.

I'd like to know what the best workouts are for these areas:

1) Sprints. I'll need to be able to sprint for all of the tests in order to get into the unit I want. Obviously, I need to practice sprinting. But, what other workouts can really help improve me sprint times and stamina?

2) Hikes. I'll be doing a lot of hiking. Currently, I am running up steps and squatting. What other workouts should I do to improve my leg strength and stamina?

Thanks for any help provided!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Assuming US military

For all aspects of Physical Readiness Training:
    Army PRT (Physical Readiness Training) information at ArmyPRT.com

For rucking:
    http://armypubs.army.mil/doctrine/DR...df/fm21_18.pdf

The manual is usually a good place to start.

Honestly, the best thing you can do for your running before you leave is learn really really really good form. The actual physical conditioning will be conducted, and it doesn't matter where you start, only that you aren't broken along the way.

There is no good substitute for ruck marching. It's a completely different skill/ability set than anything most people train- running doesn't train you for it, lifting doesn't train you for it- in order to ruck, you have to ruck.
    Last edited by jfreaksho; 02-16-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Stew Smith (Stew Smith Fitness - Former Navy SEAL Stew Smith CSCS) has guides for preparing for whatever branch/unit type you may have in mind. If you're aiming for the Q Course, you need serious preparation. Stew Smith's guides are good, as is Military Athlete if you're aiming for the elite branches (Military Athlete). His ruck marching prep has been widely praised.

As one vet to a future one - thanks for catching the torch.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Assuming US military

For all aspects of Physical Readiness Training:
    Army PRT (Physical Readiness Training) information at ArmyPRT.com

For rucking:
    http://armypubs.army.mil/doctrine/DR...df/fm21_18.pdf

The manual is usually a good place to start.

Honestly, the best thing you can do for your running before you leave is learn really really really good form. The actual physical conditioning will be conducted, and it doesn't matter where you start, only that you aren't broken along the way.

There is no good substitute for ruck marching. It's a completely different skill/ability set than anything most people train- running doesn't train you for it, lifting doesn't train you for it- in order to ruck, you have to ruck.
    Thanks! I'll look into that and check around the site for articles on running form.

Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    Stew Smith (Stew Smith Fitness - Former Navy SEAL Stew Smith CSCS) has guides for preparing for whatever branch/unit type you may have in mind. If you're aiming for the Q Course, you need serious preparation. Stew Smith's guides are good, as is Military Athlete if you're aiming for the elite branches (Military Athlete). His ruck marching prep has been widely praised.

As one vet to a future one - thanks for catching the torch.
    Thanks for the info!

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Try You are Your Own Gym - add some bodyweight exercises as well - the author Mark Lauren was navy seal and trains them. He has an app too which worth checking out.

I am a firefighter and involved with our training - sometimes I think its very much the mentality with which you approach these things and you sound like you have the right attitude. As jfreaksho says (hey bro, I am agreeing with you again in the space of 20 mins that's a conincidence man, not creepy! ) so long as you aint broken, you just have to go through it. Good luck