Thread: Fitness Routine page

jpandzel is offline Junior Member

Fitness Routine

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm trying to put together a minimalist body weight routine. I have goals of reaching 20 pull ups and 10 handstand push ups. I plan on using a density training approach. How would a routine of just pullups, handstand push ups and burpees for conditioning look? And maybe I could add bw squats and planks on the pull up day, (but I don't know if those are necessary?) Let me know what you think! -Justin

I maybe could set it up like:

M- Pull ups, (bw squats, planks)

t-

W-HSPU, followed by 100 total reps of burpees

T-

F-Pull ups, bw squats, planks

S-

Su- HSPU (followed by 100 total reps of burpees)

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Can you actually do 100 full push-up/jump burpees?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Don't skip the squats, and as you get good at them, start working towards pistols. Squats are too important, even bodyweight ones.

Personally, I hate burpees. I think that my form goes to hell as I get tired, and I really don't like it. I'd rather sprint, because I know I can maintain good form when I do so. If you're going to do 100 burpees, then you need to also look at timing yourself so that you know you are getting better.

What kind of progression are you using for the HSPU? Are you planning on doing them freestanding, or against a wall? How many can you do right now? How long can you hold a handstand against a wall? Freestanding?

I'd swap pushups for planks, but that's just me. If I was really focused on HSPU I might do as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Timber View Post
    Can you actually do 100 full push-up/jump burpees?

Yes absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Don't skip the squats, and as you get good at them, start working towards pistols. Squats are too important, even bodyweight ones.

Personally, I hate burpees. I think that my form goes to hell as I get tired, and I really don't like it. I'd rather sprint, because I know I can maintain good form when I do so. If you're going to do 100 burpees, then you need to also look at timing yourself so that you know you are getting better.

What kind of progression are you using for the HSPU? Are you planning on doing them freestanding, or against a wall? How many can you do right now? How long can you hold a handstand against a wall? Freestanding?

I'd swap pushups for planks, but that's just me. If I was really focused on HSPU I might do as you.
    Thanks for the advice. I might throw some pushups in after the pullups. I just don't want to kill my pushing muscles, making it to 10+ hspu is priority right now for me, so I want to be well rested for my two sessions a week. And for now I continue to train the hspu's against a wall. I can hold some free standing handstands, but free standing hspu's are a different animal lol!

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    You could get the You Are Your Own Gym appl and follow some of the plans on there.

Otherwise, I agree with jfreaksho's comments. And - do you have a sledgehammer?

Free standing HSPU...yeah, a completely different animal. Look forward to hearing how you progress with that.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    There are a lot of good resources on the bodyweightfitness reddit

Brian Nametko is offline Junior Member
    I'm always on the tredmill for at least 60mins every other day; with a combo of walking and running ususally averaging 5 miles. Starting off any work out with 50 push ups is a great start too. On the days that I don't run I have a full set of weights and try to do sets of ten, mixing in 50 sit ups from the beginning and end of the work out. Always drink plenty of water and at the end of the work out besides eating something, consider a cup of green tea!

Cheers!

raulflys is offline Junior Member
    yeah.i think so,I'd swap pushups for planks, but that's just me. If I was really focused on HSPU I might do as you.thanks

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    One thing I would suggest is instead of doing 100 burpees - set a time domain for doing burpees and then see how many you can do in that time. That will be more motivation to keep your intensity up which will improve your conditioning. Also an easy benchmark to track your progress.

A fit guy like you who (apparently) loves burpees can probably do 100 in around 6 minutes. Last year's first Crossfit Open workout was 7 minutes of burpees - the number one guy in the world got around 163, elite crossfitters were getting ~130, very good crossfitters ~115, my four year old nephew got 98 (no joke! was counted by two judges -- being so light weight and close to the ground has advantages!).
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 02-18-2013 at 09:46 AM.
    ad astra per aspera