Thread: Low Blood Pressure & Primal Hydration page

studiostasi is offline Junior Member

Cool Low Blood Pressure & Primal Hydration

Primal Fuel
    Hi!

I'm relatively new to the primal scene. In December I started doing 80%/20% primal, then decided that eating gluten made me feel worse when I cheated so I cut that out completely. I'm looking to go full primal, but trying to make some transitions slowly.

Anyway, on to my question. I have something called dysautonomia, where my blood pressure & heart rate have issues being regulated by my autonomic nervous system. I was instructed by my doctor to drink Gatorade and eat a lot of salt to raise my pressure to help keep from passing out. I know a lot of people use coconut water for hydration, but I feel as if it doesn't have enough sodium in it.

Does anyone know of a recipe or maybe a drink out there that has quite a bit of sodium in it that can replace gatorade? Eating primal also means less sodium due to the natural unprocessed foods so I need to find ways to work it in and stay hydrated. Thanks!

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    I'd imagine you could sprinkle some salt into any kind of broth. I've never made bone broth (someday!!!) but what I like to do is boil some veggies, keep the water, and add salt, pepper, garlic, splash of olive oil and drink it. Seriously, kicked-up salty broccoli water is delicious.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Drink the juice that comes from truly fermented veggies. Rich in sodium and has tons of good probiotics. But remember, a little goes a long way!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    It might be worth it for you to look into getting a powdered electrolyte blend like athletes use...

Then just stir a bit of that into any liquid you want...

That and plenty of salt should easily keep you in good balance.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It might be worth it for you to look into getting a powdered electrolyte blend like athletes use...
    Then just stir a bit of that into any liquid you want...
    Or a tablet like this... Amazon.com: Nutribiotic - Essential Electrolytes, 100 veggie caps: Health & Personal Care
    Then just pop one a couple of times a day, easy peasy.

That and plenty of salt should easily keep you in good balance.

I also have a medical issue and have to supplement electrolytes... but in my case it's NO salt, and lots of potassium and some mag.
    Last edited by cori93437; 02-16-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.