Thread: Can I still use overcooked turkey for stock? page

meeshar is offline Senior Member

Can I still use overcooked turkey for stock?

Primal Fuel
    A few days ago (Weds. evening), I had to run out for an emergency and accidentally overcooked half a pastured turkey. The thermometer had just beeped to let me know it was done (165) when the phone rang, so I just turned off the oven, bad move. It was way too tough to eat. Not being one to waste things, especially a local pastured bird, I put it in the fridge when we got home, but I'm wondering if I could still use it to make turkey stock. If so, should I take the meat off or leave it on?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'd hack that sucker up, put it in the stock pot/slow cooker/pressure cooker, skin, meat, and all, and get the remaining nutrients out of it. You'll probably be able to taste if it's been FUBAR.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I'd hack that sucker up, put it in the stock pot/slow cooker/pressure cooker, skin, meat, and all, and get the remaining nutrients out of it. You'll probably be able to taste if it's been FUBAR.
    Awesome, I'll give it a shot. I just wasn't sure if overcooked meat would make it taste off, guess I won't know until I try! I freeze cast-off veggies to use in stock anyway (onion/celery trimmings and carrots that were looking sad) so I won't be wasting any fresh veg on it. Thanks for the reassurance!

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I have a saying 'If it's brown it's done, if it's black it's buggered' So as long as it's not black (and you can cut them bits off ) then I'd make a soup outta it, rip meat off, boil the bones for stock, add meat and other veggies back in and make hot (then blend or not dependant on taste) Turkey and leek is nommy, black pepper makes it taste just right.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hack off some meat and see if a long, slow simmer could make it edible as soup bits. Soup meat is often the less tender bits anyway
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula