Thread: I am so glad that I chose lent to start my journey page

TrackMom is offline Member

Smile I am so glad that I chose lent to start my journey

Shop Now
    To qualify, I am not a catholic, but I have catholic friends who give up something for lent every year, so I chose to jump on the bandwagon.

For the last two weeks, I have been cutting back on processed sugars and processed flour in preparation of the start of lent, because I was hoping to reduce the withdraw affect. Wednesday I went cold-turkey. I also decided Wednesday to make this journey into a primal one.

Starting during lent I now believe was a stroke of genius. Yesterday, I had to eat out with my D's hockey team. Sitting with a group of parents at the table, at East Side Marios, an Italian Restaurant, no one batted an eye when I said I couldn't look at the pasta dishes, eat the bread, or croutons, etc...because I gave up processed flour and sugar for lent. I didn't get questioned about strange diets, crazy fads, or anything else like that. And that was for me, wonderful. I'm undertaking a journey that is very new to me, and my understanding is still in it's infancy, so I'm just not ready to discuss it or try and explain it.

So 3 successful days behind me, and looking forward to day 4. And btw, what did I end up ordering? I ate unlimited garden salad, no croutons, with their vinaigrette dressing, 8 oz steak, and extra vegetables, because the potatoes were deep fried wedges, so I declined them.
    Goals:

Lose weight/fat!
    Get fit!
    Regain my health and energy!
    Run a marathon! (again)

pamola10 is offline Member
    Good for you! Maybe that's a theme we could all use independent of the time of year....yeah, I am doing this for Lent. People don't question religious beliefs due to fear of being proselytized. Good idea.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    You make a good point that people will be less critical and ask less invasive questions when it's a matter of religion than when it's a matter of dietary choice. Interesting, no? Like you, I'm not Catholic but I gave up wine for Lent. Well, all alcohol, but wine was all I was drinking. Other than that my diet isn't bad, primally speaking.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

TrackMom is offline Member
    Today mark's day 14, and I just wanted to follow up. Yes I have lost weight. No I don't know how much, haven't looked, but my pants are baggier. But the real reason I wanted to follow up:

I HAVE NOT USED MY PUFFER IN OVER A WEEK!!!!!

That's right. I have mild asthma, and use either a ventolin puffer or Advair usually at least once a day. My symptoms usually lesson when I am away on vacation and away from my cats, and always do I need it to exercise. So Saturday after I did a light jalk (jog/walk), while showering, I realized that I forgot to use my puffer to exercise. Not a first, but starting the exercise usually forces me to stop and get it. Not this time. Then I realized I hadn't used it at all in a couple of days. Now it's a week, I'm still jalking, still cuddling my cats and that's right...NO PUFFER!!!.

Sorry, but I'm so excited this was, for me, just too good not to share.
    Goals:

Lose weight/fat!
    Get fit!
    Regain my health and energy!
    Run a marathon! (again)