Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barefoot-shoes that holds well against asphalt page

888erkan888 is offline Member

Barefoot-shoes that holds well against asphalt

Primal Fuel
    Hello, I'm looking to buy a new pair of minimalist-shoes and this time I want a pair I will use mostly for asphalt-running. I've noticed that my Vibram KSO got affected quite alot when I used them alot on asphalt, so this time I want to get a pair of shoes thats very tough and also toe-less so I could use regular socks in them.

I will save my FiveFinger's lifespan by only using them for 'luxury-runs' in the nature instead.

Does anyone have any thoughts about Merrel, VivoBarefoot etc? Name some good shoes and I'll see if I could get them from the nearby store.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    I'd look for some zero drop shoes with a little cushion if you are running on pavement.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    I blew out the New Balance MT00 very quickly, much faster than VFFs.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i haven't tried the merrell street gloves, but they look like they would be good for asphalt running. new balance has a minimalist pair with decent soles too. i've been wearing out the soles on trail runners on sidewalks and streets too, but i've been seeing more options at my local running store. it looks like even Brooks is getting in on the game...still lots of tech to the shoes, but they're simpler and with little to no heel drop.

nouveau primal is offline Junior Member
    I like the Merrels but not nearly as minimalist as VFF.
    Have you done any actual Barefoot Running?
    Running as if you were Barefoot you shouldn't wear your shoes out. At least not quickly

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    there are other styles of vibrams that have slightly different soles
    But I did a lot of running on the road in my KSOs for over a year and no wear yet.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    KSOs seems to last forever. I just ordered some Inov8 bare shoes we'll see how they hold up.

Shoes don't seem to like rucking =).
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

PeaceKaren is offline Member
    Ditch the shoes and just run barefoot!

If you absolutely MUST wear shoes, check out the Merrells. I have a pair and like them as far as shoes go. I can't really tell you how well they hold up to lots of asphalt running because I do all my running (asphalt and trail) truly barefoot and only wear the Merrells when I have to be someplace that requires shoes. They do seem to have a more durable sole than my VFFs and way more durable than my Feelmax (which are my favorite barefoot shoes because they have the thinnest/lightest sole).

Jeri is offline Member
    Since this is about shoes, does anyone know how the sizes on the vibram run, I have small feet and I usually wear a 5 to a 6 depending on the shoe and I want to order a pair but there is no store near me to try them on and I'm worried a 6 may be to big, should i get a pair in chikldrens sizes?

Future_PB_Dr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcooker View Post
    I'd look for some zero drop shoes with a little cushion if you are running on pavement.
    This.

I have worked in a running store the past two years and I cannot tell you how many people have came in with debilitating lower extremity injuries due to running on asphalt with barefoot shoes. My quick response: it's totally unnatural. The premise of barefoot running is great. Our ancestors did it. That's all good and well. But unfortunately, many fail to make the connection that asphalt wasn't around when our ancestors were indeed using their own foot padding to run around on the prairie or savannah. The bottom line is that your body is not structured to handle the impact of barefoot running on synthetic/unnatural surfaces. That being said, if you want to go for a zero-drop shoe with some cushioning to it, the saucony virrata is a great new option, as well as the new NB minimus road shoe.

Myself, I don't run on asphalt at all. After two years of ticking off 70-80 miles a week on asphalt, I had enough. Despite wearing traditional trainers, I was still aching all over. I now opt for wearing barefoot shoes strictly on trails when I do run. I recommend the merrel trail glove, but there are certainly many great ones out there.

Of course, I have seen very rare cases where someone has superhuman bone strength runs on asphalt with barefoot shoes with no problems. Good for them - though I will admit, they appear to be in pain while running and are constantly adjusting their gait. Anyhow, I don't mean to shoot down your aspirations, but my experience has shown that 99% of the time, wearing barefoot shoes on the asphalt leads to problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast