Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barefoot-shoes that holds well against asphalt page 2

liberty5_3000 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Run on different asphalt... I know that sounds a bit silly, I don't know anything about asphalt. I'm only suggesting it because I can run barefoot on the roads in my neighborhood just fine, but when I try running around my in-laws' neighborhood my feet get chewed up pretty quickly. So maybe it is just the type of asphalt chewing up your shoes and not necessarily a problem with the shoes or the way you run. My KSO's have not been chewed up from when I do run in them, but I bet if I used them on my in-laws' road they would wear out much faster.

Also I don't like running in my Vivobarefoot shoes and wouldn't recommend them for running. But they are nice to go places in without drawing attention to my feet

PeaceKaren is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Future_PB_Dr View Post
    I have worked in a running store the past two years and I cannot tell you how many people have came in with debilitating lower extremity injuries due to running on asphalt with barefoot shoes.
    but my experience has shown that 99% of the time, wearing barefoot shoes on the asphalt leads to problems.
    Keep in mind that only the barefoot runners with injuries are coming into your store looking for shoes. Those without problems are not included in your sample/experience since they're not in your store buying shoes. Also, you can not be sure their injuries were completely due to their choice of footwear and not due to some aspect of their training (too much too soon) or a combination thereof.

I'm sure you also see plenty of runners who regularly wear shoes coming to the shop with debilitating lower extremity injuries. It's the nature of running, especially competitive running. The percentage of injured shoe wearers will seem smaller to you because the sample size is different. Runners who wear shoes, whether injured or not, will all visit your shop.

Future_PB_Dr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceKaren View Post
    Keep in mind that only the barefoot runners with injuries are coming into your store looking for shoes. Those without problems are not included in your sample/experience since they're not in your store buying shoes. Also, you can not be sure their injuries were completely due to their choice of footwear and not due to some aspect of their training (too much too soon) or a combination thereof.

I'm sure you also see plenty of runners who regularly wear shoes coming to the shop with debilitating lower extremity injuries. It's the nature of running, especially competitive running. The percentage of injured shoe wearers will seem smaller to you because the sample size is different. Runners who wear shoes, whether injured or not, will all visit your shop.
    You make a very good point, Karen. This is something I did not think of. I suppose I was bringing my own bias into it too much. Personally, running on trails in barefoot shoes is infinitely more comfortable than running on asphalt in the same shoes. Additionally, the scenery is much more rewarding . Regardless, I did not consider that most of the barefoot runners coming into my store with injuries are coming in for that very reason alone, thus skewing the sample from which I am making assumptions.

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    I'll add this about running on asphalt. When I first made the transition to minimalist running, I started with five fingers. I went from insane amounts of cushioning in a New Balance motion control shoe, to five fingers and no cushion. I'm very flat footed by the way. For about 3 months, I had to keep my runs short, no more than 2-3 miles and less frequent, usually 3-4 days inbetween runs. I kept getting a pain in one of my metatarsals, on the top of my left foot. I never pushed it to the point an injury occured. After a few months, never had an issue again, and I've been running barefoot or with minimal shoes ever since. Maybe it was the beginning of a stress fracture or something, and I wouldn't be surprised since I had been running with such cushioned shoes for my whole life and heel striking at that. This was the first time without cushion AND landing on the ball of my foot. As for the original question......I would try the Saucony Hattori for running on asphalt. They have a newer version with laces. My wife seems to like them. I do most of my running in merrell barefoots. The tread gets worn down over a years time, but holds up pretty well overall.

nouveau primal is offline Junior Member
    Wearing more cushions on your feet just transfers the stress farther up your legs.

People that are already running lots of mileage think they can just go buy some 'Barefoot shoes' and continue to run the way they always have (bad idea!!).

I only tried Barefoot (actual barefoot) and minimalist shoe running because in the past, I always had Knee and Hip pain from running.

I learned how to adjust my Gait and have ZERO knee and hip pain when I run. It was truly amazing.
    Still haven't beaten my Plantar Fasciitis but it has improved.

My PF feels much better when I run Barefoot.
    It's the best foot massage you can get.
    But it SUCKS when there are lots of dried Berries all over the sidewalks!

My neighborhood has some stretches of VERY agressive old asphalt. I just avoid them when Barefoot. Some of them even hurt in Vibrams.

I keep my runs under 10k but when it warms up I'm going to do a Half Marathon program...we'll see

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    merrel trail gloves hold up pretty well...

Lotasjenny is offline Junior Member

Barker Footwear

Wonderful Post. I appreciate this. Your writing capability is thus high. it's helpful data, I hope so. Carry on. Have an excellent day. Keep it up...

peril is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I only walk on pavement but found the VFF to wear very quickly. I get much greater life out of Vivobarefoot EVO II
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12