Thread: MrsZimm13 Primal BP Journal 2013 page

MrsZimm13 is offline Junior Member

Red face MrsZimm13 Primal BP Journal 2013

I started my journey on January 1, 2013 with my husband. He has a neurological issue with his legs where his muscles constantly contract and expand. In other words his leg muscles constantly jump. A Chiropractor friend told us about Paleo and that it reduces inflammation. We're giving it a try to see if reduced carbs will help him. I am trying to lose 40 pounds.

I started the journey by giving up bread, coffee and grains but I would eat legumes. A week later I gave up the legumes. I do eat some yogurt, raw milk, some cheese, eggs, meat, veggies, coconut oil, olive oil, bone broth daily, and some berries, citrus and bananas. I have cut down on the amounts of nuts I eat thinking they are inhibiting weight loss.

So, I was pretty disgusted with myself and didn't weigh before starting the plan. I believe I have lost 8 pounds in 6 weeks. That is a bit discouraging, but as my husband says if we are going to adopt this way of eating I will lose the weight I need and want to. We have committed to each other that we will do this for 6 months and evaluate where we are at that point. My husband has lost 22 pounds in the same amount of time and he looks awesome!

At this time, 6 weeks in I feel great. I have more energy than before, my clothes are fitting better and I am less anxious. I attribute the lessening of anxiousness to not drinking caffeine.

The hardest part, so far is dinning with people who are not eating primal. The bread basket at a restaurant is a little tempting! Tempting, but I have not given in! yay me!! I travel frequently for work and I will be eating out every meal when I do travel.

For exercise I walk my dogs twice a day one mile at a good clip. I like doing squats, plank and push ups when I am on boring conference calls- I work from home. I find it a great use of time to do a little workout while actively listening to a call. It's multitasking at its finest.

My husband hunts so we have a sufficient amount of venison for the year. We grow most of our vegetables and can or freeze to preserve them. We have a good life.

So, at this point I want to lose 34 pounds. I know I can succeed.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome and well done on your success to date, especially resisting bread at the restaurant. It will get easier and easier until you don't even feel the temptation. Lucky you having a hunting husband! Best wishes.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. Glad it's going well for you.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

I am so happy! I changed the way I was doing things this week- I walked before eating anything and I lost 2 pounds! I only weigh on Saturday's and I was elated this morning. It sure did pump me up to do the cardio portion of p90x, walked a mile, then hiked 2 miles.

What I ate today:

Breakfast: 1 duck egg scrambled with onion and tallow
    Lunch: venison sausage and vegetable soup
    Snack: 2 T almonds
    Dinner: butternut, venison lasagna with homemade tomato sauce
    2 glasses red wine

We went to a farm that sells grass fed beef and picked up a shank, bacon, a dozen pasture raised eggs, 2 pork chops, and short ribs. All pasture fed and no grain. I can't wait to cook the short ribs for my husband.

Thanks I am loving this!

Thanks- it gets easier every day. Today was a great day!

PrimalCon New York
    Getting ready for the week ahead. I have 2 business trips that will take me out of town for 3 days. Today I made cream of broccoli soup, and vegetable soup and I am roasting an organic chicken for dinner.

The broccoli soup:
    2 T Ghee, melted in soup pot
    1 small onion diced
    1 stalk celery diced
    Cook these three ingredients to soften as you wash and trim 8 cups of broccoli florets, stems and leaves.

Add 1.5 cups chicken or beef broth and broccoli to pot cover and cook 20 min until broccoli is soft.

In small pan:
    Heat 2 cups milk and 2T tapioca starch to thicken. Add fresh black pepper to taste and add 2 T butter.

Once thick and bubbly, add to the pot of broccoli. I used my hand emulsifier to break up the broccoli a little. I left chunks of broccoli for texture. This is a very nicely flavored soup. I sprinkled with parm cheese before serving.

E: walked dog 30 minutes
    B: 2 eggs w/onion and pepper, 1/2 of butternut sq muffin, 2 slices bacon, 4 small figs sautéed in butter and balsamic vinegar. (9:30am)
    L: not hungry
    S: 4:30 pm 1 Cup broccoli soup
    D: chicken and spinach salad with beets and dressing.
    1 small Blood orange
    Last edited by MrsZimm13; 02-18-2013 at 06:26 AM. Reason: I ate something other than what I originally intended