Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should a carb addict stick to low fat? page

mummibear is offline Junior Member

Should a carb addict stick to low fat?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have tried to get my husband on board with Primal eating, but it has been a struggle. Firstly, he is scared to commit because he can't believe that eating saturated fat won't kill him of a heart attack. Secondly, he is a carb addict. I managed to get him to cut out carbs for about 2 weeks, but he didn't commit, so he still had sugar in his teas and coffees, he still drank beer after work and on days off, he cheated regularly with a piece of cake, or onion bahjis etc. He would overdose on nuts and seeds, and eat huge handfuls of dried fruit. He quit after 2 weeks because he found the diet boring because he couldn't eat the food he liked (pasta, rice and potatoes) and it was making him bad tempered. (It was) Now I am trying to keep as close to Primal for him as I can, aside from his sandwiches for lunch and an occasional rice or pasta dinner.
    So my question is, if he is still eating as many carbs as he is, then should I return him to a low fat diet? Surely his body will just store any ingested fat because it is too busy with all the carbs? I don't want to damage his health, he is such a stress-head, I feel he is always on the brink of a heart attack, which was my main motivation for going Primal in the first place!
    BTW, I am having good results, weight is coming off (lots about 8-10lbs) and I feel better, but I have all the other ares of Primal living to tackle yet, I have only started with the diet side of things. Any advice would be really appreciated!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Could you at least get him off of processed food first? Instead of sandwiches for lunch, maybe make something deliciously homecooked.

Timthetaco Guest
    If he's completely opposed to the diet change, then you should probably just let him eat how he wants. However, see if he's receptive to a high carb, low fat paleo approach. Lots of starch, fruit and lean meats (which he's used to anyway because he's afraid of fat).

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Mm, I've wondered about this too. But instead what I do and it doesn't seem to have backfired badly, is serve my husband the same dinner as I eat, with sometimes extra rice or potatoes that I'm not having.

Then I pack the leftovers for his lunch so he can heat it up at work.

So that's two primal meals out of three. My thinking being that it is important to have the good nutrition, if he chooses to add unnecessary extra sugar, beer, bread etc, then that's not for me to say anything about.

For breakfast he prefers grapefruit with sugar, coffee with sugar, and cereal with sweet yoghurt. Grr, what a way to start the day. However, I add some nuts and coconut and rice bubbles to the muesli, and cut the yoghurt 50:50 with greek and he eats it. This alters the balance more in favour of fat than carbs, hopefully minimising the damage. Not grain free, but pretty low gluten.

I keep hoping that if I keep him satisfied enough on the good primal food his desire for the junk will diminish. That hasn't really happened, yet he is still getting some health benefits.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Don't try to get him on a low carb OR low fat "diet".

Just get him to eat whole, Paleo foods. If he wants potatoes? Let him eat potatoes. Eggs? Let him eat eggs. Low fat in general is a terrible idea.

mummibear is offline Junior Member
    But surely if he's eating carbs and saturated fat, his body won't burn off the fat because it's burning carbs, and it will clog up his arteries? Or just make him fatter?

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    A caloric surplus makes you fat, whether it be fat, or carbs.

Assuming he's eating whole foods, it'll be difficult for him to get in a surplus without trying.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I agree. Low fat not only doesn't promote health but it creates hunger which leads to even more binging on the carbohydrates.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If you take away a nutrient that satiates and take away that which he craves, you're going to have one unhappy, hungry husband. Don't lecture, don't preach, lead by example. You can lead a horse to water and all that...
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Mm, I've wondered about this too. But instead what I do and it doesn't seem to have backfired badly, is serve my husband the same dinner as I eat, with sometimes extra rice or potatoes that I'm not having.

Then I pack the leftovers for his lunch so he can heat it up at work.

So that's two primal meals out of three. My thinking being that it is important to have the good nutrition, if he chooses to add unnecessary extra sugar, beer, bread etc, then that's not for me to say anything about.
    This is how I handle it. Except for the leftovers for lunch. He's not a big fan of leftovers for some reason. And he rarely eats breakfast. Interestingly, over the last 8 months his lunches have gotten better and better because he just makes different choices.

My number one priority, way beyond all others, is to reduce.the.amount.of.crap in my family's diet. No amount of macro fiddling will benefit them as much as reducing.the.amount.of.crap in their diets. Sometimes that means replacing non-primal foods with primal foods. But sometimes that means replacing something crappy with something less crappy or figuring out a way to slyly reduce the portion size of crap. For example, my family used to eat a lot of ice cream and buying better ice cream didn't automatically reduce portion size. So I started buying Skinny Cow ice cream bars in whatever flavors they liked best. Those things are crap, but they are small portion crap. Initially, DH and the kids would eat 2 every evening. Now, someone eats one maybe once a week. Nobody has asked for ice cream. My son is more likely to scramble a couple of (pastured) eggs for a late evening snack. I'm not sure why it worked. I'm not going to jinx it by bringing attention to it.

If I get pushback, I back away. My plan is to win the war. If that means retreating while I rethink my strategy, I'm OK with that.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast