Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should a carb addict stick to low fat? page 2

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    I understand you care about him and want to take care of his health, the problem is you really can't do that for another person if they aren't ready to do that for themselves.
    What I'd do is just let him eat whatever he wants. It's his body and he's responsible for what he puts in it. When it comes to meals you make for the both of you, just make whatever you will and have the attitue of "this is what I made, so this is what's for dinner." If he won't have it without some rice, pasta, or potatoes on the side then you can make just a small serving for him but I wouldn't do entirely separate meals.

The fat issue. Even conventional nutrition advice says that olive oil is good for your heart, so if he's worried about eating saturated fat and you're worried about him eating saturated fat if he isn't cutting carbs then I'd go with using more olive oil instead of animal fats.

You could also try a more slow transition approach, and start with getting him more away from wheat.
    I've never tried gluten-free bread but my aunt who is diagnosed gluten intolerant hates it, so I don't have any good advice about bread.
    Gluten-free pasta is pretty good though. Quinoa pasta looks like regular white pasta and the taste isn't very different, so you could make that sometime and see if he notices a difference. Rice noodles are a little different, but it also tastes just as good as regular pasta to me. Yes, neither one is exactly Primal but it's a start.
    Pasta is my Achillies Heel. Spaghetti squash and shredded zucchini are okay for a while, but eventually I just want noodles! So I switched to kelp noodles. They have a very mild flavor, but the texture and taste is very different than simolina so I wouldn't recommened serving it with Italian sauces, rather Asian style sauces if you want to try introducing him to kelp noodles. I eat mine with Bolognese, but that's just because I'm willing to put up with the strangeness factor to be able to have pasta and still be Primal. An uncommitted person, though, would probably find it intolerable.
    Whether or not potatoes are Primal depends on who you ask, but the overall consensus is that they aren't a definite no-no so I'd leave that one alone for now.

And overall just be patient and inspire him to change by setting a good example instead of pressuring. If he sees you lose a lot of weight and gain improvements in your health he might become more interested.

mummibear is offline Junior Member
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I don't want to give the impression that I lecture him or pressure him - I don't. He wanted to join me on my Primal journey because I have lost weight, and he did try. Kind of. I guess if we cut out the wheat first (which he wants to anyway) and we can work from there. Once I get the hang of Primal cooking (on a very tight budget) then maybe the meals will be interesting enough to keep him going.

Aili is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mummibear View Post
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I don't want to give the impression that I lecture him or pressure him - I don't. He wanted to join me on my Primal journey because I have lost weight, and he did try. Kind of. I guess if we cut out the wheat first (which he wants to anyway) and we can work from there. Once I get the hang of Primal cooking (on a very tight budget) then maybe the meals will be interesting enough to keep him going.
    Check out 'Wheat Belly' by William Davis, and have your hubby do so too.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Is your husband open to reading articles about the causes of heart disease? If so this article may help him to see why eating grains increases inflammation which is a major factor in heart disease.

Heart Surgeon Speaks Out On What Really Causes Heart Disease -- Health & Wellness -- Sott.net

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mummibear View Post
    . Once I get the hang of Primal cooking (on a very tight budget) then maybe the meals will be interesting enough to keep him going.

I'm on a budget, too. My "staples" are:
    -Eggs
    -Potatoes
    -Bananas
    -Mesclun salad.
    -White rice
    -Offal (organ meats)
    Every now and then I'll buy some salmon, or something to mix things up.

IMO, make meals interesting - fry up some Ox heart as a steak; cheap as dirt and you can barely tell he difference. Serve it alongside some oven baked potato fries and fried eggs.
    Steak, eggs and chips - really, who could say no to that?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    My number one priority, way beyond all others, is to reduce.the.amount.of.crap in my family's diet. No amount of macro fiddling will benefit them as much as reducing.the.amount.of.crap in their diets. Sometimes that means replacing non-primal foods with primal foods. But sometimes that means replacing something crappy with something less crappy or figuring out a way to slyly reduce the portion size of crap. For example, my family used to eat a lot of ice cream and buying better ice cream didn't automatically reduce portion size. So I started buying Skinny Cow ice cream bars in whatever flavors they liked best. Those things are crap, but they are small portion crap. Initially, DH and the kids would eat 2 every evening. Now, someone eats one maybe once a week. Nobody has asked for ice cream. My son is more likely to scramble a couple of (pastured) eggs for a late evening snack. I'm not sure why it worked. I'm not going to jinx it by bringing attention to it.

If I get pushback, I back away. My plan is to win the war. If that means retreating while I rethink my strategy, I'm OK with that.
    Laura, this is genious. Thank you for sharing, I will be thinking about how I can apply similar thinking in my situation.

Last evening friends came over with two enormous bottles of fizzy drink (soda?). Anyway, with me and my dd not partaking the other four drank most of it, ie almost 4l. I was so shocked that tipped the rest down the sink when I did the dishes.
    Last edited by Annieh; 02-16-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12