Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What can I do for carb cravings like bread and sweet? page

debschleien is offline Junior Member

What can I do for carb cravings like bread and sweet?

Any suggestions to counteract the carb cravings?

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    For me, it's potatoes, rice, or chestnuts. Or coffee with cream.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    The primal answer, I think, is fruit. But I'm also going through bread cravings right now, last night I gave in. Tomorrow I'll go buy a pineapple. Perhaps it will work this time. i'm having a problem going to sleep, and a bagel with butter and jam will put me right to sleep. I hope pineapple will also.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    I second the potatoes.

Baked sweet potato with a tablespoon of butter and cinnamon = heaven.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Make sure you have some protein at every meal, to help you stay satisfied. Meat, eggs, fish, maybe some cheese.

Try to keep carbs low at first. I would not even recommend fruit or potatoes, they only fuel the cravings in my experience. Stick with non-starchy veges and berries for the most part.

Make up the balance with fats - butter, nuts, olives.

Get through the first wee while and you should find your tastes adapt and your cravings diminish. Then you will be able to enjoy the sweetness of a carrot, a few grapes or whatever and will find that sugar and sweetened foods overly sweet.

Bread is addictive, but again your cravings will diminish quicker if you are strict about not giving in at first.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If it occurs at night, brush your teeth and go to bed.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

mmsantos is offline Senior Member
    I was recently suffering from HUGE carb cravings to the point of mindlessly eating a whole box of muesli, then I fasted for 90 hours last week and that seems to have given me a whole new perspective on hunger/cravings (in a good way), until now!

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    If it occurs at night, brush your teeth and go to bed.
    +1 this works well for me, too

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Make sure you have some protein at every meal, to help you stay satisfied. Meat, eggs, fish, maybe some cheese.

Try to keep carbs low at first. I would not even recommend fruit or potatoes, they only fuel the cravings in my experience. Stick with non-starchy veges and berries for the most part.

Get through the first wee while and you should find your tastes adapt and your cravings diminish. Then you will be able to enjoy the sweetness of a carrot, a few grapes or whatever and will find that sugar and sweetened foods overly sweet.

Bread is addictive, but again your cravings will diminish quicker if you are strict about not giving in at first.
    This. Ride it out with plenty of protein and fat, so you feel satisfied.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post

I'd like to offer a slightly different perspective. From someone who has experienced binge eating disorder (always sugar and grains) on and off for a couple of years, the only time I felt that I was didn't get any cravings were when I was eating a moderate carb diet (food pyramid-wise, with potatoes, muesli, rice, etc) and not deliberately eating paleo.

For reference, I'm quite lean so insulin resistance probably isn't an issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast