19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 84.21%
  • No

3 15.79%

Thread: Yams? page

kungfumike is offline Senior Member

Yams?

What's the PB view on Yams? I am only on page 73 of the book, but I had a small one with ham for lunch and I am curious how that tuber fits in with primal eating. I judge it was about 5 oz's worth. Seems like a hunter-gatherer type food to me...

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Yams are carbs and depending on your goals you may or may not want to eat them. If you're trying to lose weight (especially quickly) then no, put the fork down. If you're doing something that involves lots of cardio then yams and sweet potatoes in moderation might be a good thing for you.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Most of the vegetables that are labelled "yams" in American supermarkets are really sweet potatoes, so be sure you're eating the correct vegetable. True yams are not related at all to sweet potatoes, come in a variety of colors, and are generally longer, skinnier, and more misshapen than sweet potatoes. True yams are one of the oldest cultivated vegetables with wild African ancestors, and are not grown in the U.S. as a food crop. As Daemonized mentions, if you're trying to lose weight, yams and/or sweet potatoes are best considered a rare treat, if at all.
    Yam: http://homecooking.about.com/gi/o.ht...Crops/Yam.html

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I like them as a treat. Right up there with chocolate.

Beef Cake is offline Senior Member
    General Guidelines: 80% of body composition success is determined by diet. Limit processed carb intake (hence, insulin production), and obtain sufficient protein and fat to fuel and rebuild.

* Protein: Average .7 – 1 gram per pound of lean body mass/day – depending on activity levels (more at times is fine).
    * Carbs: 50-100 grams/day (or less) = accelerated fat loss. 100-150 grams/day = effortless weight maintenance. Heavy exercisers can increase carb intake as needed to replace glycogen stores.
    * Fat: Enjoy freely but sensibly for balance of caloric needs and high dietary satisfaction levels.
    * Avoid Poisonous Things: Conventional Wisdom’s dietary guidelines promote fat storage, type 2 diabetes, inflammation and obesity!
    * Eliminate: Sugary foods and beverages, grains (wheat, corn, rice, pasta, breads, cereals, etc.), legumes (soy and other beans), trans and partially hydrogenated fats, high-risk conventional meat and produce, and excess PUFA’s (instead, increase omega-3 oils).
    * Modern Adjustments: Some modern foods that Grok didn’t eat can still be included in a healthy diet
    * Moderation: Certain high glycemic fruit, coffee, high-fat dairy products, starchy tuber vegetables, and wild rice.
    * Supplements: Multivitamin/mineral formula, probiotics, omega-3 fish oil and protein powder.
    * Herbs, spices and extracts: Offer many health benefits and enhance enjoyment of meals.
    * Sensible indulgences: Dark chocolate, moderate alcohol, high-fat treats.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...mal-blueprint/

Thanks BC. THAT info is what I was hoping for.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    It really comes down to metabolic type and insulin resistance. If someone is trying to lose weight they are likely insulin resistant and so they need to swear of all large bundles of starch. If someone is more of a carbo type with regards to metabolic typing, they will be able to handle more starch and could even benefit from some more metabolically. I wouldn't have too much of it, I probably have a cup twice a week for certain metabolic reasons. It's quite carby and it's easy to go overboard with stuff like that so watch out. Tubers are pretty paleo though. Optimal in large amounts? Nah.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks everyone. I am pleased that I wasn't too far off. I'll avoid for now since I am new to PB and trying to lose weight, but I will keep it around as a "maybe" and/or if I need more energy as I am still toning down my exercise with martial arts and P90X.