Thread: Time for a primal reboot page

JBailey is offline Senior Member

Time for a primal reboot

Primal Fuel
    My life has been in an uproar since mid-December. Lots of individual high-stress events blurred into some really crappy (well, tasty wheaty) eating, serious sleep deprivation, and almost no exercise.

Things are getting back under control finally, but the fall out is still with me.
    Nearly-permanent dark circles under my eyes, bad skin, digestive issues, and what feels like massive water retention.

It used to be I could jump right back on the primal wagon after a 20% day and be good as new with a day of eating primal and drinking lots of tea/water. Not this time. Of course I keep eating bits of crap that used to stay under the radar, but now that I've triggered some kind of reaction to them, affect me cumulatively.

I've got a 3-day weekend, lots of outdoor work on the farm, and a motivated, helpful partner. I'm going to sleep as much as I can, ditch the non-primal food, and move around a lot. Re-boot.

ANyway, I'm posting this here as a declaration of intent. Now that it's public, I'll have to follow through
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I'll be watching and waiting, now that you have gone public...!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Good luck with the reboot! And I just got back from a visit to your blog and farm site (linked from the potato diet thread) and was admiring your flock and your cool eggs! I have 6 girls, three RIR and three Delawares. They have hardly slowed down at all this winter - I get 6 eggs at least several days per week, including today! Interesting comments about the breeds - thanks for putting that info online.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Jealous of your Delawares Marthat. I have some barred rocks and some red sexlinks. I love my red girls. They are so friendly and active. I really, really REALLY want some Delawares, though.

I randomly got mine through a local farm store. They were all supposed to be pullets, but one barred rock turned out to be a rooster. He's a beautiful boy.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

We had Delawares for a while. They were decent layers, but I don't really like white birds so we moved them along.

One nice thing about experimenting with chickens is that we always have lots of eggs. We just got out of selling eggs commercially and are going to breed olive-eggers this year. Hope to have the incubator going in a couple of weeks.

We also just filled the freezer with 1.5 pigs, so that will help the reboot. Homegrown tastes so much better.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back - missed your posts/presence. Very much enjoy your blog.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    I am excited, and cannot wait for my beef on the hoof to go to freezer camp this december. Seems like forever from now, but it will be SO nice not having to buy beef for awhile.

I still have our chicken in the freezer, but I am just about tired of eating chicken now! Guy down the road will have some feeder pigs soon. I will jump right on those as soon as he's selling.

Hurry up garden season.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Welcome back - missed your posts/presence. Very much enjoy your blog.
    Thanks Joanie!

Sometimes there is so much interwebs going on I need to take a break. But I really enjoy hanging out with people on this path, so here I am.

Starting my day with coffee, cream, and a giant mug of roasted chicken broth. Then out to lift heavy things for a bit. I have some low-grade bug, so trying to ease back into primal life this weekend. Getting 8+ hours of good sleep sure helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    I am excited, and cannot wait for my beef on the hoof to go to freezer camp this december. Seems like forever from now, but it will be SO nice not having to buy beef for awhile.

I still have our chicken in the freezer, but I am just about tired of eating chicken now! Guy down the road will have some feeder pigs soon. I will jump right on those as soon as he's selling.

Hurry up garden season.
    I liked the experience of raising our own beef, but not only is our place too small to do it right, those 2 steers were so naughty I couldn't wait for the knacker to come by the time they were beefable.

Pigs are nice to raise, but we still need to tweak our infrastructure before the next batch. We kept expanding their run so they could graze/root more, but we got extra rain and they grew pretty fast, so things got muddier than I liked. Next time we'll set up a run just for when they're small, then open that up to a much bigger area sooner. We tried to keep them in hard fence, but a couple of hot wires should be fine as long as they have plenty to eat.

Planning to get a batch of pork belly on the smoker this week too. Yum!