Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time to get rid of the potato antipathy? page

mmsantos is offline Senior Member

Is it time to get rid of the potato antipathy?

Shop Now
    There's always been a lot of controversy surrounding the poor potato in the paleo (and non-paleo, for that matter) world. We've been led to believe that it's simply an inferior version of the sweet potato and some people seem to avoid it as much as they do grains (I certainly used to when I first got into this style of eating).

But now, with the recent goings on behind this mistreated tuber, it seems that it's being accepted as just another whole food, along with meat and other vegetables. This, of course, pairs with the gradual escape from low-carbism that paleo is currently undergoing.

A potato comes straight from the ground (and with the dirt still on it if you're lucky, unlike that mass-produced stuff you get in the supermarket). What could make more sense to eat? I've always thought that fruit was the ultimate human food (pick then eat, what could be simpler) but tubers have to be a close second once you know how to find them. Don't get me wrong, I love my meat and fat, but in my humble opinion I think our ancestors would have enjoyed them in smaller quantities (or at least less frequently) than plant foods which are easier to find and eat. And I doubt Grok was munching on spinach and lettuce very often either.

Anyway I just thought it interesting that in the space of a couple of years a once-hated food is now not only becoming accepted but being hailed as the new king of fat loss. And I don't know about you, but there are few foods that satisfy me between meals more than a microwaved potato and I'm really happy that the paleo world is embracing this whole food as part of a balanced diet!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I would say that most people around here eat potatoes... or sweet potatoes.

Heck, there is an entire potato diet on these forums.

The potato in not maligned here.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I would say that most people around here eat potatoes... or sweet potatoes.

Heck, there is an entire potato diet on these forums.

This is true, but it did not come easy. In the beginning at least, it was Dogged to Death along with the fella on the forefront that originally brought us the information.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    This is true, but it did not come easy. In the beginning at least, it was Dogged to Death along with the fella on the forefront that originally brought us the information.
    Meh, I never maligned the potato itself... roots and tubers are real food.
    Always have been, always will be.

That whole potato ONLY diet thing is a different story though. But that is my opinion.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Xexist is offline Junior Member
    Meh, I never maligned the potato itself... roots and tubers are real food.
    Always have been, always will be.

That whole potato ONLY diet thing is a different story though. But that is my opinion.
    As a diet I agree with you, as a short term hack, I dont see harm in it, and am in fact trying it now. Some people cant seem to help coming in to inject their opinion in that thread though (which is fine I suppose, except when its the same message over and over, yes we get it.. it isnt healthy)

*Edit*
    In fact it might be unhealthy compared to a proper nutritional meal, but surely it cant be any worse than what I used to eat, just chips and chocolate and carbs carbs carbs, no fruits, no veggies etc.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    I like potatoes. Potatoes are good. I can make nacho chips and, thus, nachos from potatoes.

8474561717_0a213304c0.jpg

That's my two cents on the subject.

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    I love potatoes but when I include them in my diet I don't lose any weight.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Not a sweet potato lover myself. But every couple of months I buy a bag of organic russets. They tend to be smaller than conventional, and make a perfect serving next to steak, pork, or eggs.

I think there are issues to any one food hack. But 7-14 days probably isn't going to hurt anyone, even if it were the Cheetos Diet. (ew)

Keto eating is great for jump starting weight loss, addressing binge behavior, and helping with various health issues. But it certainly isn't a must for Primal.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Potatoes are awesome. Eat 'em if you like 'em and can tolerate 'em!
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York

Yes - where have you been OP?! There's a new potato-pushing thread every day. There's three live at the moment!

Personally not a fan. I'm Irish and had them pretty much every day until I was 18 and moved out of home. Talk about overkill...!

Sometimes I force myself to eat them as a form of starch cos' I know theyre really nutritious.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast