Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is it time to get rid of the potato antipathy? page 4

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    Sorry you're offended by my comment, Gopintos. It is just that I've grown weary of being told I should be able to eat foods that I and so many others find we can't.
    Yal I am sorry too. That is normally so unlike me.

He did qualify his statement, and said "unless you have a sensitivity" ..... But anyways, I am sorry too. I will pass around the peace pipe
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

mmsantos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    He did qualify his statement, and said "unless you have a sensitivity" ..... But anyways, I am sorry too. I will pass around the peace pipe
    Thank you, that is exactly what I meant! I wasn't implying it was or is for everyone, because nothing is (except water, and maybe air!). I guess my comment came out in the wrong vein, but I totally believe that people should do what works for them regardless of what ANYONE ELSE says.

My point is that a starch-based diet can be optimal for a lot of individuals and the whole "carbs drive insulin drive fat gain" is nonsense. That statement implies that carbs from refined sugar affect the body in the same way that carbs from bread or a banana will affect the body in the same way which is absolute nonsense IMO.

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Try boiled / mashed potatoes slathered in full fat greek Yogurt and salt... a little taste of heaven!
    We don't use yogurt now that we have a kefir culture going, but I just don't like kefir on potatoes. Luckily our local dairy makes their own sour cream. Depending on the time of year and what the cows are eating it can be closer to cultured butter sometimes.

And last season I made garlic scape pesto and froze it into cubes. I also roasted all the surplus garlic and mashed that into cubes & froze them. Now when I want a baked potato (no microwave so I have to plan ahead) I go get a cube of one or both and thaw while the potato bakes, then mash it in with a little salt & pepper. Very satisfying and flavorfull.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

janie is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Gopintos. You too, MMsantos, although the science of "carbs drive insulin drives fat gain" seems pretty solid science to me AND matches completely with my lifetime experience (67 years and counting) and the experience of so many I've met online. Anyway, I went from a size 18 to a 6 by reducing carbs, so it worked spectacularly for me.

Terry H is online now Senior Member
    I'm with you on that one janie. FWIW

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JBailey View Post
    We don't use yogurt now that we have a kefir culture going, but I just don't like kefir on potatoes. Luckily our local dairy makes their own sour cream. Depending on the time of year and what the cows are eating it can be closer to cultured butter sometimes.....
    Quoting you to get you attention

Whats your favorite varieties to grow? Any special order sorts that you would go out of your way to find? Looking for a few less common sorts for my garden this year.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    Anyway, I went from a size 18 to a 6 by reducing carbs, so it worked spectacularly for me.
    That is spectacular! I have reduced carbs like processed, sugars, wheats, etc. I just wasnt gaining any more ground on extra low, so have been increasing but still primal stuff, and still nothing compared to what I was doing on SAD.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

janie is offline Senior Member
    Thanks! In addition to the weight loss, my health is hugely improved and I feel years younger.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Potatoes bring on a flare of my rheumatoid arthritis faster and more severely than any other food, including wheat. It is not a benign food for many people.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234