There's always been a lot of controversy surrounding the poor potato in the paleo (and non-paleo, for that matter) world. We've been led to believe that it's simply an inferior version of the sweet potato and some people seem to avoid it as much as they do grains (I certainly used to when I first got into this style of eating).

But now, with the recent goings on behind this mistreated tuber, it seems that it's being accepted as just another whole food, along with meat and other vegetables. This, of course, pairs with the gradual escape from low-carbism that paleo is currently undergoing.

A potato comes straight from the ground (and with the dirt still on it if you're lucky, unlike that mass-produced stuff you get in the supermarket). What could make more sense to eat? I've always thought that fruit was the ultimate human food (pick then eat, what could be simpler) but tubers have to be a close second once you know how to find them. Don't get me wrong, I love my meat and fat, but in my humble opinion I think our ancestors would have enjoyed them in smaller quantities (or at least less frequently) than plant foods which are easier to find and eat. And I doubt Grok was munching on spinach and lettuce very often either.

Anyway I just thought it interesting that in the space of a couple of years a once-hated food is now not only becoming accepted but being hailed as the new king of fat loss. And I don't know about you, but there are few foods that satisfy me between meals more than a microwaved potato and I'm really happy that the paleo world is embracing this whole food as part of a balanced diet!