Thread: Is it normal to be "naturally fasting" this early? page

USMCStang is offline Junior Member

Is it normal to be "naturally fasting" this early?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

So I started eating primally a few weeks ago, coupled with 3 days of weights, and quite a bit of walking (maybe 7 miles a week). I haven't started the sprint workouts just yet, but I'm getting there.

Yesterday, I decided to try an IF. I had not ate since 7:00 PM the night before (a 12oz pork steak and some mixed veggies in olive oil/ butter). I skipped breakfast, save for a cup of coffee with an oz or so of heavy cream, skipped lunch, and "lifted heavy things" around 5:30 - 6:00. I was not hungry at all during the day, so that seemed to pan out well.

I decided to have a cup of fage yogurt with blueberries, a ribeye (probably 12-14 oz), green peppers and mushrooms for dinner. I also had about 8 oz of organic whole milk.

SIDE NOTE: I haven't been eating grass fed beef just yet, as I'm still researching a good source in the area. I have found frozen grass fed beef liver from a local butcher though.

As of today, I did not eat breakfast (I wasn't hungry) except for black coffee, and I've had a can of sardines in water for lunch and about 6 cashews..nothing else. I'm just not hungry.

Even before primal, I didn't normally eat breakfast, but I would be starving by lunch. That seems to not be the case anymore.

I know one of the tenets is "eat when you're hungry, and don't when you're not", but is it normal to really only WANT to eat once a day within two weeks of beginning? I only ate the sardines today because I felt that it was a good thing to do after a 3 mile brisk walk for lunch. I really wasn't hungry. It's almost as if my body is just naturally fasting, and I think it may be a mental block I have to overcome, because it's so weird to not feel like eating at lunchtime.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like it could be normal- for you. My body varies. On high activity days- or days where I didn't sleep well- I often find I need my 3 meals. On low activity days, or days where I got a good night's rest, I often find one meal will do me. I just listen to my body.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

I am finding that I am sleeping a whole heck of a lot better, so that could have something to do with it. I guess I'm just generally not as hungry, given that I am taking in a ton less carbs, so maybe I'm just becoming adapted.

I do have to kick the dairy though. I love an ice cold glass of milk still, along with cheese (I'm blessed enough to live near Amish country, so I can get some really high quality cheeses).

I've only had a grand total of about 125 calories today, and almost no fat, so I would think that I should be pretty hungry by now, but I'm just...not. I'm 5'11" and 195lbs, and about 30% BF as far as I can tell, so maybe I'm just getting some energy and satiety from my fat already?

Zach is offline Banned
    Sounds pretty healthy. Dont kick the dairy though.

By no means am I going to completley "kick" dairy, but I do need to moderate it a bit. I can easily down half a gallon of milk or more a day...I just need to tone it down a bit.

4:30...still not hungry

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Totally normal. Years and years before I ever heard of IF, I ate one meal a day for various reasons (weight control, too busy, etc.). I was always told that it was bad if someone noticed. It was such a relief to find PB and realize that one meal a day isn't wrong - it's just one way that some people eat.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Totally normal. Years and years before I ever heard of IF, I ate one meal a day for various reasons (weight control, too busy, etc.). I was always told that it was bad if someone noticed. It was such a relief to find PB and realize that one meal a day isn't wrong - it's just one way that some people eat.
    100% this...

I have never in my life been a morning eater... if I did it it was ALWAYS forced because I was "supposed to".
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    There's no such thing as normal. Normal is what works for you.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks guys. I was starting to worry a little bit because it's so soon into going primal.

I'm actually somewhat certain I was in Ketosis this morning...I had a metallic taste in my mouth when I woke up. Yesterday's food consisted of a 3 egg omelette with mushrooms, tomatoes, an oz of whole milk, and about 1.5 oz of raw milk cheddar for breakfast. 4 slices of sliced deli turkey, about 13 black olives, some carrot slices, and some green peppers for lunch. Dinner was about 1/2 cup of mushrooms sauteed in butter, and a "homemade protein shake" (8 oz milk, crushed ice, 2 eggs, 1/8 cup of pecans and 1/8 cup walnuts with nutmeg and cinnamon.)

That comes out to less than 50 carbs, so I think I may have dropped into Ketosis. No breakfast today, and no hunger.

Thanks again guys for the reassurance.