Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you still enjoy eating at restaurants page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    I've got some good Primal options in restaurants around here like a steakhouse, a chicken place, and a burger place that all serve grass fed/free range meat plus an Asian buffet where I can pig out on sashimi and a Brazilian churascurio where the meats are divine and the waiters are adorable too. They are amazed at how much meat I can put away. That is a rare but fun indulgence.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Well, I just got back from lunch with coworkers. We ate at a Chinese restaurant: my least favorite ethnic cuisine ever. Luckily, this place was more authentic chinese than American chinese. I got Pork Egg Foo Young and everyone else got some noodle or rice dish, or something covered in sticky sauce. Most got dumplings as an appetizer and I just sipped tea while I waited for our entrees.

Usually things aren't that annoying, but today was definitely a day where I was frustrated that everyone was eating a deep-fried crab rangoon and I'm drinking tea as my stomach growls. Luckily my egg foo young was amazing and filling!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    I enjoy dining out, but it is has become an almost constant disappointment for both my boyfriend and myself.

I need to get better at researching high quality eateries rather than going to the same habitual ones I know of from my CW days.

Any recommendations in the Long Beach area? :P

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I do. We've got some pretty fantastic restaurants in this town. Two Japanese places, both of which serve top-notch cuisine. A great Thai place, a fantastic fusion place that makes a killer Prime Rib. I try to eat as primal as they offer but I consider this my 20% since I know there are hidden ingredients + it's high calorie. I eat out probably twice a week- Friday night is "date night" with the SO and we often eat Japanese that night. And one night a week I often bring home Thai take-out.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    My rule of thumb is if I can do it better, I don't pay for restaurant food
    However, I LOVE really good restaurants. My OH works in one of those - they actually never have much bad carbs, except bread, in any of the dishes. I think in general the high end ones are often very paleo friendly - I haven't seen many Michelin star restaurants who would load all their plates with grains or rubbish oils. I also enjoy good steak and sushi from time to time. Or Brazilian rodizio (oh the fab meat feast!!!). I love Thai and Indian too but really good restautants are not easy to come by over here.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. My palate has definitely changed since I started cooking with higher quality ingredients. Most stuff in restaurants just tastes different now, kinda chemically and fake and just off. To quote Angelo Coppola, eating out "tastes like licking a laboratory floor" to me sometimes. Like qqemokitty said, it forces me to go out of my way to find really good new places rather than be disappointed over and over again, just because it's familiar.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I love going out to eat. I went to a Japanese restaurant last night. Had poke salad (assorted sashimi with seaweed and spicy sesame oil) and three kinds of nigiri: salmon roe, mackerel and uni. Very good!

I also like to go to places that serve steak or pork chops. If you worry about meat glue, try pork chops.

A couple weeks ago we went to a bowling alley for dinner. I got a build your own burger. Had them add bacon and avocado. Took off the bun and it was really super tasty. For a side, I got cottage cheese instead of fries or a salad.

What disappoints are Italian and Chinese. There I get Ceasar salad and steamed vegetables with plain meat or whatever comes closest. Even worse: noodle joints, most fast food, pizza places and non-authentic Mexican food (and even some of the authentic stuff).
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Graycat is online now Senior Member
    Sometimes cooking, even grilling gets old. It's not the act of cooking itself. The cleaning, washing dishes. etc.
    Then I like to go out to a good steakhouse (preferably not one of the big chains) and have someone wait on me for a change.
    Even if not everything is 100% Primal, even if it's expensive compared to home cooked meal, there are times when I simply refuse to worry about all that and instead decide to enjoy good food and a good company.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    We almost never eat out, we live in a small town with a pretty pathetic selection of restaurants and I'm a former chef so it seems pointless to pay for food that is low quality. Hubby grows a lot of our veggies, we have chickens, we buy half a pastured cow at a time and next week are butchering 2 pigs that hubby raised. We will be smoking our own bacon and hams.

On the rare occasion that I'm in a big city with high end restaurants then, yeah I'll eat out. I get great ideas that I take home and re-create.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    We almost never eat out, we live in a small town with a pretty pathetic selection of restaurants and I'm a former chef so it seems pointless to pay for food that is low quality. Hubby grows a lot of our veggies, we have chickens, we buy half a pastured cow at a time and next week are butchering 2 pigs that hubby raised. We will be smoking our own bacon and hams.

On the rare occasion that I'm in a big city with high end restaurants then, yeah I'll eat out. I get great ideas that I take home and re-create.
    So, what I get from this post is that I really need to figure out a way to eat at your place
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast