Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Diet vs. Sustainability page 3

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Don't we have too many people already? Isn't the world population already decreasing? What's wrong with that?

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryM View Post
    Assuming that all the benefits you ascribe to eating a primal diet are accurate, have you considered the macro effects on world nutritional levels if this diet was to be globally implemented? Many would argue that current population levels are unsustainable even given a universal grain based diet.
    Right, agriculture made the current population possible, but ideal health of the current population is perhaps not possible. Meh, perhaps. And academically that's interesting to ponder. But...

What I always think is -- who cares! We just buy the meat.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Don't underestimate developments in terraculture - new technologies for producing food that are accesible to everyone. The debate here centres around the premise that we will always use AGRI-culture to produce our food, and we won't. Terraculture is far more paleo-friendly, takes up less space and will enable much more farmland to be converted to enormous ranges - semi wild grass lands on which we can farm vast herds of ruminants and have healthier countrysides as a result.

Wal67ter is offline Junior Member
    I refuse to eat anything but grass fed people!

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    There was a Ted talk making the rounds recently about how to combat desertification in many zones by introducing herds of herbivores to graze the area thereby breaking the surface soil and introducing dung and grass seed. Much of the worlds land surface is unusable for agriculture but could be re-purposed from arid waste to grazing lands.

Now can this wisdom be made use of? That is my question.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Rhonda the Red is offline Junior Member
    Well, here's another thing to throw into the mix. I'm getting ready to plant my first Square Foot Garden - Square Foot Gardening Store | Raised Bed Planters, Square Foot Gardening Grids, Square Foot Gardening Boxes. It purports to be extremely self-sustainable and water-use efficient, plus installable in any location with any soil composition since it uses a mix of peat moss, vermiculite, and compost in a raised soil bed. The philosophy is anti-row crop and reduced-commercial farming with an emphasis on producing a wide variety of foods for family use. Also, the peat moss and vermiculite have a 10 year use life and the compost used to feed the garden comes from sustainable sources collected right there at the house. Plus the whole shebang is organic. The founder really does have a zeal for ending world hunger in part through the Square Foot (or Square Meter) Garden. I'll be posting about my garden journey on my journal.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Here is the link to the Ted Talk that Warmbear was talking about: Allan Savory: How to fight desertification and reverse climate change | Video on TED.com

The Documentary One Man, One Cow, One Planet may also interest you. One Man One Cow One Planet 1/6 - YouTube

whitegirlinasia is offline Junior Member
    Everyone needs to read the Omnivore's Dilemma and or watch Food Inc. They interview farmers who are bringing up their plants and animals together and those farms produce 0 waste. None. And the needs of the different organisms are met by the other organisms.

The fact is that is how we used to farm, which was sustainable. We can go back with a lot of hard work.

sugar57 is offline Junior Member
    I thinks so many vegans are intent on eating like CAFO animals I suggest we start with them .

Green Deane Guest
    I am paleo but I make my living teaching people how to identify and eat wild plants. A lot of vegetarians sign up for my classes and I hear this view often. I think it includes many assumptions. Let me address just one. Vegetarians assume more plants grown for food is better than more animals being raised for food. It goes along the lines of if we take a 100,000 acres out of beef production and put it into plant production we can feed a more people. That's assertion needs one more word: We can feed more people poorly. Increasing carb production never means people eat better. It never means more people eat better. It always means more people will eat poorly. Producing more carbs does not translate into healthier people or more people fed better. It just means more people eating poorly. That does not seem to me to be positive or "sustainable."

Of course the real problem is too many people. Increasing the food supply is the bandaid on the infected wound. We have GMOs and agri-business producing huge amounts of grain because there are so many people. Vegetarians like to paint meat eaters and their food animals as the problem. It is not: It is too many people and we have that because of grain production. More grain production only means more people. That is not a solution. It's making the problem worse. Getting rid of food animals is not a solution. That means less healthy people. Population reduction is the solution. Humanity however is not yet committed or desparate enough to use the solution.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast