Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Diet vs. Sustainability page 2

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryM View Post
    I agree, it's probably not a rational worry but interesting to note that, like many other things, what is obviously good for the individual may be harmful for society as a whole
    Building entire ecosystems back up where the monocrops and fertilizers have eaten the topsoil to nothing would be harmful to society? I don't agree with the premise is my point, Sir. That's one of the many reasons a lot of us know our farmers, and like to meet our meat while it's still mooing.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    If the world went primal, there would be plenty of men currently hoarding wealth whose purpose is to desecrate the planet and the body, and I would abstain from the world's meat and vegetable supply by going on a strict diet of them and their henchmen.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    If the world went primal, there would be plenty of men currently hoarding wealth whose purpose is to desecrate the planet and the body, and I would abstain from the world's meat and vegetable supply by going on a strict diet of them and their henchmen.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Perfect is the enemy of good.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    I always find that grain to meat ratio amusing. it leaves out so much information and leads one to assume it is a valid comparison. We dont advocate eating grain fed animals, but pastured animals that live on the land and not in a factory. Land used this was is quite sustainable and the food produced per acre is much higher than if you grew grain and used that to feed the animals.

This also assumes that feeding the starving millions with the grain we use would be a much better use of the grain but we know this is not a healthy way to feed humans. If we stop trying to feed the starving millions with cheap first world grain and instead let them raise their own food and earn their own living, a lot less of the world would be starving.

I hear this idiotic argument all the time, the veg heads spout this falderall as if it is a fact and they believe it. This saddens me but there is no way to heal stupid.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Any "solution" that does not have birth control as a major part is nothing but a big fail. There is no way we can continue to increase the population and feed the population of the planet indefinitely.

Brian Nametko is offline Junior Member
    Were you on that National Geographic show "Preppers"? I think you're worrying about issues that won't happen in any of our lifetimes...js

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryM View Post
    I agree, it's probably not a rational worry but interesting to note that, like many other things, what is obviously good for the individual may be harmful for society as a whole. I am reminded of the fact that while saving, spending wisely, and avoiding debt is manifestly good advice for the individual, if practiced by every American would result in plunging GDP levels and a deflationary depression (consumer spending makes up the majority of US GDP.) Perhaps when such dichotomies occur we should immediately suspect some sort of dysfunction with society.
    That is an excellent point.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Little Women is offline Member
    I've been thinking about this some. In every similar discussion I've seen, it's always been a question of how much GRAIN cows and such eat, compared to the nutrition of eating meat. Wouldn't it make a huge difference if the majority of the cows/animals were GRASS fed, instead, as primal and paleo recommend? Grass can be grown on almost any earth surface, and cows or other ruminants are ideal users of this grass. This food is basically free, and is not edible by humans. Hence, meat grown this way would be an extra, free food.

There does remain a problem of water. I have never seen a discussion of how much water a cow uses, compared to a similar nutritional value of grain.

Raising cows also does not require anywhere close to the amount of pesticides or tractor/gas usage that growing grain requires.

Also, because meats and vegetables are far more nutritious than grains, our bodies require far less of them to live well.

All in all, I think the whole grain versus meat leading to starvation question is much overblown, with grass-fed meats very probably taking the upper hand in nutrition for the masses, if done on a large scale.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    The solution to this dilemma is obvious, we eat the excess population of people. Problem solved! Since so many vegans are intent on eating like CAFO animals I suggest we start with them.
    LOLLL! Naw - I would want assurance that my human meat had been purelly PB fed from birth to finishing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast