Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why the harshness about starches? page

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member

Why the harshness about starches?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's been a while since I went back and reread some of Mark's earliest posts about primal basics, and I found myself kind of confused all over again. He seems to suggest that starchy carbs -- sweet potato, butternut squash, etc -- should be used only if you're quite active.

But does it really matter whether you're eating carbs from broccoli or carbs from sweet potatoes, if the carb count comes out the same at the end of the day? I personally find sweet potato far more satisfying than broccoli or brussel sprouts (though I enjoy the taste of all of them), so I tend to "spend" my carb limit on a sweet potato each day rather than a few cups of sprouts. Am I correct that I should see little difference in my resulting body composition? (I walk a lot, with occasional sprints, but not much beyond that).

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it matters if the carb count comes out the same at the end of the day.

peril is offline Senior Member
    It's a matter of nutrient density. It doesn't matter so long as the carb count comes out the same AND you get the same micronutrients
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    It's a matter of nutrient density. It doesn't matter so long as the carb count comes out the same AND you get the same micronutrients
    This.

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    That makes perfect sense to me, but then why do people all over the forums state that their weight loss stops when they eat them? or that they only eat them on hard workout days?

are they simply overdoing the carbs (since starchy vegetables are more carb-dense, thus they need to be more carefully counted)?

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Starchy carbs are simply VERY easy to overeat compared to non starchy carbs. And if you are always eating a sweet potato instead of broccoli (and all the other veggies out there!) you will miss out on the nutrients. That seems to be the thing.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Some of us don't feel so great (ie bloated and tired), after eating too much of them.
    But lots around here don't believe that is possible.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I feel more lethargic after eating starches -- and I have to eat more to feel satisfied, so I tend to overeat them.

Sticking to veggies is better for me.

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    Don't some carbs come with a higher glycemic index? ie the starchier foods have higher glycemic values, which is why we should stick to broccoli and other foods that have the carbs but not the "sugars"... It is late and I am not thinking clearly.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    There's lots of pro-starch people around (just do a search for "potato"!)

Part of the thing about starches is the blood sugar spike, which makes them unsuitable for people with blood sugar issues. I eat rice most days, but I know my limit - too big a portion and I get a hypoglycemic reaction that makes me crave sugar.

I actually made a vague attempt to do the potato diet but I only lasted one meal - waaay too much starch for me.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast