Thread: Why are parsnips better than potatoes--help! page

Catalina is offline Member

Primal Fuel

So, I've just discovered parsnips, and I love them! I went to Nutritiondata.com to check on the numbers, and was disappointed with the carbs, but then checked them with potatoes, and it doesn't look that different (in fact, the Omega 3:6 ratio looks better in potatoes):

cup Parsnips:

Calories: 55

Carbs: 13g

Sugars: 4g

Omega 3: 2.3 mg

Omega 6: 32.0 mg

cup Potatoes:

Calories: 68

Carbs: 16g

Sugars: 1g

Omega 3: 7.8 mg

Omega 6: 25.0 mg

I know potatoes are nightshades, but are there other reasons why they would be so much to be avoided, but parsnips are recommended? I just know the scientists/food researchers out there will have the answer!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Parsnips are supposed to have a load more nutrients, potassium is one I remember, pehaps you could try to find a vitamin / mineral comparison?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

THE site for complete nutrition data is, well, www.nutritiondata.com . Under each category of nutrients is a tab For More Complete information.

Frankly, I just can't get all worked up about Food A having more or less nutrients that Food B. I don't mean twinkies vs. steak, but similar veggies. Unless you are on a starvation diet, you get all the vitamins you need, other than D. Especially if taking supplements.