Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggest a movie to watch this weekend page 2

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't know why, I immediately thought of "Gattaca". I don't know if it's on Netflix, though.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Although very old, Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist make a good double bill.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

ulnauy is offline Member
    Thanks for the replies! Feeling like a movie marathon tonight - I'll be watching the Three Colors trilogy and Eat Drink Man Women.

Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    Hard Candy is such a crazy movie, maybe extra for me because I watched it cold (no clue what it was about).

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post
    Usual Suspects
    In Bruges
    There Will Be Blood
    History of Violence
    The Usual Suspects is one of my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    My favourite foreign films:

- Pan's Labyrinth (El laberinto del fauno)
    - Life is Beautiful (La vita bella)
    - Open Your Eyes (Abre los ojos) - this was actually remade into "Vanilla Sky"... which I thought was shit. This, the original, is amazing.

Other:

- Bladerunner
    - The Big Lebowski

etc.
    Life is Beautiful is amazing and amazingly depressing. If you haven't seen it you have to watch it.

Everyone loves Bladerunner but I thought it was overrated. I think you had to have watched it first came out to truly appreciate how trend setting it was. To me though it plays like a B-movie.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I don't know why, I immediately thought of "Gattaca". I don't know if it's on Netflix, though.
    I love Gattaca! Seen it thrice.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Although very old, Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist make a good double bill.
    Rosemary's Baby = my favorite horror movie of all time. Not as big of a fan of The Exorcist, although I've been meaning to watch the director's cut.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ulnauy View Post

Life is Beautiful is amazing and amazingly depressing.
    Extremely dark, and extremely beautiful. The dichotomy of life. It's how I roll
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    Skyfall is good!
    We just ordered the BlueRay/digital combo.

I watched End of Watch recently. Not usually a fan of cop drama, but I enjoyed this one. Not sure if it's out on video yet. Someone loaned us a 'copy'.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Adam's Apples. Danish, 2005. I watched it on Netflix streaming. Late one night I wanted a foreign flick and came across this one. I once visited Copenhagen and was entranced, so this was worth a shot. Never forgot it.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Beachgirl is offline Member
    Another vote for Skyfall. It was great!

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    I was meh about Skyfall. I think I'm the only person who doesn't care for Daniel Craig.

I watch a lot of old movies, especially Hollywood noir. I came across a real twisted one the other night, Fritz Lang's Scarlet Street. Edward G. Robinson is a milquetoast bank teller who paints bizaare paintings. He falls for a young gal who has an abusive boyfriend on the side and is trying to take Robinson for a ride. It's so bleak that it's quite amusing.

On January 4, 1946, the New York State Censor Board banned Scarlet Street entirely, relying on the statute that gave it power to censor films that were "obscene, indecent, immoral, inhuman, sacrilegious" or whose exhibition "would tend to corrupt morals or incite to crime."' As if in a chain reaction, one week later the Motion Picture Commission for the city of Milwaukee also banned the film as part of a new policy encouraged by police for " 'stricter regulation of undesirable films.' " On February 3 Christina Smith, the city censor of Atlanta, argued that because of "the sordid life it portrayed, the treatment of illicit love, the failure of the characters to receive orthodox punishment from the police, and because the picture would tend to weaken a respect for the law," Scarlet Street was "licentious, profane, obscure and contrary to the good order of the community." ... Universal was discouraged from challenging the constitutionality of the censors by the protests of the national religious groups that arose as the Atlanta case went to court.

katemary is offline Senior Member
    Oh yes, re Rosemary's Baby.

The Hitchcock film made me pull out Psycho and The Birds - amazing.

How about The Shining?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Just a note to folks who like non-mainstream type movies. Hulu is making their Criterion Collection free for Presidents' Weekend.

(I don't work for them, nor do I pay for their "premium" service.)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast