Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Low carb + lower fat page

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member

Low carb + lower fat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Something I have been wondering about is having meals like this:
    Leaner protein, cooked in a little fat, ie coconut oil or ghee, with a large green leafy salad. Or grill the meat so it doesn't need add fat.
    Maybe the occasional starchy carbs.

Because this would be lower in fat than what I was eating before (around 70-75%). I don't know the exact macro break down of a meal like this though. But eating something like this 3 x per day (sorta like the whole 30 rules I guess, but really little added fat).

How would your body run on lower fat and lower carb? Cos it has to run off one or the other right?
    Would this be when it starts to burn stored fat?
    Some stuff about all this I still don't understand.

This diabetes diagnosis has given me a real shake up, and I want to think about what I am doing. I don't want to count macros etc, because it makes me obsess and its not a good place for me to be in.

This is coming from someone who has 100-110 lbs to lose.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    So protein would make up the bulk of your calories at this point? Just be aware that your liver can actually only process a certain amount of protein daily, the max being determined largely by the liver's size. So smaller people generally have a lower maximum.

However, if you feel good eating this way, then why question it?

Currently I am actually not eating much, but I do not have any hunger.
    am - BP coffee or coffee with HWC and mct oil.
    late afternoon/dinner - Protein cooked in fat, some green veg, but not many.
    Afternoon/evening ill have a tea with HWC.
    Occasionally I will share an apple or banana with my youngest son.

Yes I am aware its very little food but I truly can't fit in much more, I guess due to the higher fat content. I was eating an extra meal for a bit there, very similar to the other, but I can't always do it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    So protein would make up the bulk of your calories at this point? Just be aware that your liver can actually only process a certain amount of protein daily, the max being determined largely by the liver's size. So smaller people generally have a lower maximum.

However, if you feel good eating this way, then why question it?
    No, I am not talking huge amounts of protein, I guess palm size at each meal, I guess id have to count just to see what the rough amount is.

I do feel good eating how I am now, but I have just been diagnosed with diabetes. I went to the Dr due to slow weight loss. Its been way too long ive been obese (put more info in my other thread).

I NEED to get some weight off. I am truly getting desperate at the moment. For my health, and this high insulin level (which the dr says causes slow, or lack of weight loss). And for my children. I cant be this huge mummy dropping my oldest at school everyday. It is only week 2 of school, but I am sure eventually he would get teased. Its not fair on him for me to be like this.
    I feel surprisingly well and energetic each day, but I am sure it could be much better if I was smaller.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Actually, protein has a much higher satiety index than fat does. Primal and Mark's wisdom seems to point to fat as the "great satiater" but I actually find it MUCH harder to eat a pound of lean chicken breasts than I do a pound of fatty sausage just to use an example. Even if I cook the chicken breasts with absolutely NO fat at all.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    I think you need to eat more.

IMO, starving yourself and eating so little won't help you lose any of that weight.

Zach is offline Banned
    Ayla, do you honestly think a lower fat, low carb diet sounds like a good idea?

Angry kiwi, you have the people on here always saying calories are the only thing that matter.
    So in their logic I should have lost huge amounts of weight in the last 3 months, but its been 4 kg.
    I believe now this is due to my high insulin, (according to the Dr), but need to know if this is correct.
    Maybe you are right about needing more food. Do you think eating 3 meals like I listed above (leaner protein + lots of veg and a little fat) would work better?
    I guess with lowered fat I could fit in more.

Look I am not here to argue with anyone, I am just in desperate need of help right now.

Drumroll, that is interesting.

Zach, I don't know, hence my question. I guess my main one is if I lower my fat, is it likely to start to get to my body fat more?
    I am not intending to eat huge amounts of carbs. I have tested my blood sugar after things like a banana and its higher. The point of checking is to keep it lower is it not?

For all I know, any way I eat is irrelevant if my insulin is so high right?

This is all so damn confusing to me. I am so frustrated because of this. Life should not be so hard. There is more info on the diabetes thread I started. I should have just asked there.

I love what HFLC has done for me, with how I feel over all, and has stopped my bingeing, this for me is a huge huge deal.

But due to my recent diagnosis, and how desperate I am feeling about getting weight off which will help my insulin go down, I am just trying to work out the best way to approach this.
    And maybe having not as much food with higher fat, might not be appropriate for me anymore, I just don't know. If I felt like crap physically it would be easier to think I needed to change something, but its only for my mental state really.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast