Thread: Low carb + lower fat page 8

canio6 Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    Hell, I have a killer "Primal Nachos" recipe. D
    share please.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Ayla- Stressing yourself out about this is really not going to help.

Did you know that there is a difference between pathological insulin resistance caused by a SAD diet and physiological insulin resistance caused by lc or vlc diets?

Does your doc know the difference? If your fasting blood glucose was high, it may mean that you simply needed to eat breakfast.

Read this: Does Eating a Low Carb Diet Cause Insulin Resistance? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Oh that is the same article I linked to before. I will look at what I would need to eat to increase carbs to 100 g a day, and go from there. Too many starchy carbs make me feel not so great. But maybe I have to suffer that to fix something else?
    No I don't think he does.
    I only just learned of this myself, will read the article later, as I have to go to get my son from school shortly.
    But it does make sense what I have read of it already.

My fasting glucose was slightly out of the normal range, but the avg over 3 months was in the normal range, this he could not explain. But my insulin.
    Normal fasting >10, and after eating it can be up to 30, mine was 150 the first test, and because I asked if it was a mistake since it was so high, he repeated it, and it was 127
    Last edited by Ayla2010; 02-14-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    The amount of calories I suggested will make you lose weight because it's below your TDEE. Seriously. I kid you not, it may seem like a lot, but that's just because you're heavier and thus, burn more calories simply by existing.

Your calorie should only increase IF YOU MAKE THEM. Just eating three meals may not boost your calories enough - it might, but I doubt it'll reach the number we came to before.
    It may not be easy - to add the extra kcals and/because of the mentality you may have around this - but just... Well, eat. Eggs with cheese, bacon and veggies. Sweet potato coated in butter alongside a grassfed steak. Real food, more of it. Caloric density vs volume - if you're struggling to get it down, go for density.
    Hell, I have a killer "Primal Nachos" recipe. Don't be afraid to eat a dessert, either - boost the protein with some yoghurt or cottage cheese with berries.

It may take awhile, but you will come to enjoy it. Think about it - you will be will to eat more, AND your weight loss will pick up. As you lose weight, the cals get lowered down. It all balances out.

A the very least, try what I suggested for a couple of weeks.
    I don't primalise recipes, that is also a recipe for over eating for me. Same reason dessert rarely happens in our house.
    I can def try to eat more real foods.

I can do one thing at a time, slowly.
    I am not saying I will try to get to the levels you suggest, I will see how I go. As I said, I cannot gain any more weight. I am morbidly obese, not just obese.

Bifcus is online now Senior Member
    Addressing just this one part of the question:

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Also if starvation mode is true, how do you explain anorexics, and bulimics getting extremely thin? ... Not to mention they would actually be feeling hunger, but ignoring it. If I had more hunger I would not ignore it.

According to this study Role of the evolutionarily conserved starvati... [Mol Psychiatry. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI This lack of hunger is part of the reason behind Anorexia Nervosa (AN).

It says:
    "......AN is primarily a metabolic disorder caused by defective regulation of the starvation response, which leads to ambivalence towards food, decreased food consumption and characteristic psychopathology."
    "We will .... describe the central role of insulin .. (and related hormones)... signaling in this response."
    "We will also discuss how initial bouts of caloric restriction may alter the production of neurotransmitters that regulate appetite and food-seeking behavior and thus, set in motion a vicious cycle."

So what they are saying is that due to the starvation response, AN sufferers do not feel normal hunger. The concern is that as you have been restricting calories for a fair while, you have triggered the same response as the AN suffers, hence you are genuinely not hungry whilst eating a calorie restricted diet. You want to get out of that part of the vicious cycle, and the suggestion is that you eat maintenance calories for a while until the starvation response goes away and normal hunger response kicks back in.

As to why they lose weight and you don't ? I'll be curious to see the answer.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bifcus View Post
    Addressing just this one part of the question:

According to this study Role of the evolutionarily conserved starvati... [Mol Psychiatry. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI This lack of hunger is part of the reason behind Anorexia Nervosa (AN).

It says:
    "......AN is primarily a metabolic disorder caused by defective regulation of the starvation response, which leads to ambivalence towards food, decreased food consumption and characteristic psychopathology."
    "We will .... describe the central role of insulin .. (and related hormones)... signaling in this response."
    "We will also discuss how initial bouts of caloric restriction may alter the production of neurotransmitters that regulate appetite and food-seeking behavior and thus, set in motion a vicious cycle."

So what they are saying is that due to the starvation response, AN sufferers do not feel normal hunger. The concern is that as you have been restricting calories for a fair while, you have triggered the same response as the AN suffers, hence you are genuinely not hungry whilst eating a calorie restricted diet. You want to get out of that part of the vicious cycle, and the suggestion is that you eat maintenance calories for a while until the starvation response goes away and normal hunger response kicks back in.

As to why they lose weight and you don't ? I'll be curious to see the answer.
    I am just not seeing how sm could exist since these people get so thin and even die

There has to be more to it.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    But when I have counted I have ended up around 1200 calories anyway. What I am eating hasn't changed since I was counting, but apparently this is starvation mode for me.
    I agree with dragonfly. I think you are stressing yourself out and heading toward "analysis paralysis." At some point, you're going to just have to make a decision and *try* something.

I simply suggested how you adjust your macronutrient ratios since so many posts you said it would be difficult to increase your calories. If you are "comfortable" with 1200 calories right now (ie, it's no real effort), then adjust your *macros* and see what happens.

If you go to 100g of carbs, it's truly easy enough to do. I do it with non-starchy veggies and a piece or two of fruit (usually berries or citrus).

Once you calculate your protein needs, you'll go from there.

And you might discover that you start eating more. . . or stay the same. . . or whatever. You'll see. You're not likely to get it "perfect" on the first go. but you'll get more information, and that has value.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    I am just not seeing how sm could exist since these people get so thin and even die
    Most people who are anorexic and/or bulimic - at least, that have been recognised - are typically at a low/normal weight or just a little overweight to start with.

That's my take, anyway.

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ayla--I don't want to add yet another idea to this incredible list of good--although I see how confusing--ideas coming down this thread. But you might consider signing up for Mark's new program that sets you up with a personal mentor who can sit down (virtually) with you and gather all this information into one form with one voice to help you (a) understand and (b) give you a plan that will help you with your journey. Just a thought...

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast