Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Low carb + lower fat page 6

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Can anyone answer any of my earlier questions please? Zach can you explain more about what you said?

Going back to starvation mode and body holding on to fat.
    Firstly, why did I not lose weight when I first went back to primal, and only eating to satisfaction? I had come off a 6 month binge of SAD foods, and gained almost 20 kg? Is this because the high insulin had come up about here sometime?
    I guess I did lose 4 kg in Jan, because of reduced calories maybe, but I was already lc oct-jan, but just lowered them slight more for Jan, with more fat.
    I'm not saying that starvation mode caused your issues. I strongly believe you probably have some truly serious metabolic issues that need working on. However, starvation mode eating for such a long period may not have done your body any favors.

You may have compounded the difficulties on top of each other. But if you had severe metabolic issues to BEGIN with, that may explain why losing even after the binge period would have been so tough.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think starvation mode is completely overblown. Sure, the body is adaptable and if you restrict calories for very long periods of time, your body will probably adapt somewhat. But it's a system that needs energy to work. Too much fuel, and you store what you don't use. Too little and you'll burn fat and muscle. Anorexics take it to great depths - they deplete so much stored energy, that they can lose hair, teeth, life.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Sorry I know you aren't.
    Ok that makes a bit of sense. I do not believe any of this is a new problem. Going up and down and all the various diets, and binges, cannot have been good for me.

That is what I wanted to know.
    Those who think I am starving, is that what you think caused my high insulin, or do I have 2 problems? Are they unrelated?

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I think starvation mode is completely overblown. Sure, the body is adaptable and if you restrict calories for very long periods of time, your body will probably adapt somewhat. But it's a system that needs energy to work. Too much fuel, and you store what you don't use. Too little and you'll burn fat and muscle. Anorexics take it to great depths - they deplete so much stored energy, that they can lose hair, teeth, life.
    Yeah I know things are really bad for them, but I am just trying to understand why they are able to get to that point. If starvation mode was real, surely their bodies wouldn't let it go that far. That part I don't get.

If I had not enough fuel though, would I not have no energy, and have other symptoms of that?
    Or is my body that messed up, it can't tell me anything?

I think you probably had the metabolic issues before you ever started the huge calorie deficits. Then, as I said, you may have compounded them by eating such a low caloric intake for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I think you probably had the metabolic issues before you ever started the huge calorie deficits. Then, as I said, you may have compounded them by eating such a low caloric intake for so long.
    This makes the most sense to me, and I understand this.
    So eating more calories will do what exactly? How will that make my body burn more fat?

Will eating more bring down my insulin? The Dr says the reason for slow loss is the high insulin. Which is why he prescribed the meds, which he says will bring it down.

But how will eating more impact this? this is where I am still lost. I have no problem with eating more, but want to understand how will help towards healing me.

I can take away the BP coffee and eating a meal. If I do eat leaner protein at my meals, I should be able to get in more food I think. But if I do this, and reduce fat a little, even with a little more protein, but not too much, won't I be getting in a similar amount of calories?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    How does that work though? What if I am eating the same calories and macros as a BP coffee in one meal? How does that impact it?
    What I meant was that it's really easy to overeat liquid calories.

In your example, I guess your BP coffee replaces your meal. But where's the quality protein?

Forget calories. Or rather, focus on eating foods that will provide you with the *nutrition* you need in the form of essential vitamins etc.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 02-14-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Eating more will probably RAISE insulin levels slightly at first because your body has to get used to the new way of eating all over again. This may not be a noticeable increase however, if you already have serious issues. And once it adjusts to the new way of eating and recognizes it as the norm, insulin levels may calm down a bit.

Will it solve all of your metabolic issues? NO.

Will it help? YES.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    This makes the most sense to me, and I understand this.
    So eating more calories will do what exactly? How will that make my body burn more fat?

Will eating more bring down my insulin? The Dr says the reason for slow loss is the high insulin. Which is why he prescribed the meds, which he says will bring it down.

But how will eating more impact this? this is where I am still lost. I have no problem with eating more, but want to understand how will help towards healing me.

I can take away the BP coffee and eating a meal. If I do eat leaner protein at my meals, I should be able to get in more food I think. But if I do this, and reduce fat a little, even with a little more protein, but not too much, won't I be getting in a similar amount of calories?
    Drinking vs eating calories is irrelevant. It's just more likely you'll feel more sated on food vs drinks. People struggling to gain weight are recommended to drink calories between meals to up them.
    As for you, I suggest keeping the BP coffee AND eating breakfast. Why? Because it's been established you're not getting enough cals in as is.

Have you signed back into MFP yet?

Zach is offline Banned
    Ayla, you know all these answers all ready because you have asked them repeatedly. You know what to do, yet you come here every night and confuse yourself even more. This thread is too long for me to highlight all the contradictions and answered questions you keep posting and honestly i dont care to explain myself because all you have ever done is ridicule me and shrug off any information I have ever given you. Did you even read the article i posted at the beginning or did you skip it because some idiot said it was high carb propaganda?

And yes, i think the best thing you could do right now is unplug your computer and try to forget everything you think you know about nutrition.

Heres my last advice. Eat real food, dont restrict a food because of its nutrient content, restrict it if it has chemicals you cant pronounce. Dont eat half your calories in liquid fat because some loon on a forum says it works for them. Eat like you live in the 19th century and you had never read a word on nutrition. If you cant grow it, kill it, pick it, milk it, dont eat it.

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast