Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Low carb + lower fat page 4

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    So 233 g of protein? Is this not a huge amount? Before when I was counting I was looking at around 60 g according to the formula used by most in the HFLC thread.
    and about 115 g of fat?
    My BMR is - 1811
    TDEE - 2806
    How did you calculate those other numbers?
    Okay. I don't know your BF%, if you do know it, work or your lean body mass and eat 1g of protein for that. Can you at least shoot for 150g protein daily? Sould be pretty easy with meat/eggs/dairy, protein powder if you have it.

Fat intake sounds good.

TDEE -10-20%

2806 - (2806 x .1) = 2525
    OR
    2806 - (2806 x .2) = 2245

So, in ther words, to lose weight at a safe and stable weight, eat at least 2245kcal a day to 2525. Hell, at 2600 you'll still be in a deficit.

Assuming you get your 150g protein.

150g protein = 600kcal
    115g fat = 1035kcal

2525 - 1635
    = 890 kcal of fats or carbs - whatever your preference. If you want to stay on the lower carb end, eat more fat. Your choice.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    How does BMR and TDEE help work out calories requirements? 1800 approx is my BMR, and 2800 approx is my TDEE, does it mean I meant to eat some where between the 2? That is a huge jump from what I am eating now.

There is too many damn numbers!! Who do I listen to? This is causing me more stress, because I don't know who is right.
    Not getting angry at anyone except myself. I should never have put myself in this position.
    BMR is what you would expend in calories if you literally slept for 24 hours. TDEE is the VERY ROUGH average of your activity level combined with your BMR. So, if you burn 1,000 calories through exercise and other daily activities, that gets added to your BMR of 1,800 to equal 2,800 of TDEE. Exercise and other activities are a GREAT way to create a caloric deficit. But it can get out of hand.

If your TDEE is 2,800 cals you would have to eat that much just to maintain, at least in theory. On the other hand, if your TDEE is 2,800 cals and you're eating 1,000 - 1,200 cals a day, that's a deficit of 1,600 - 1,800 cals A DAY. Although TDEE can change from day to day depending on level of activity, that kind of caloric deficit I could easily see creating starvation mode.

I'd say focus on eating to maintain for a while and THEN after maybe a month or two of that, try creating a deficit again. But instead of 1,600 - 1,800 calories of deficit EVERY DAY, try something MUCH smaller, like, say... 200? Fat loss will be slow this way, but you won't trigger starvation mode and the loss will be real.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Feasting once a week on what? I could try it, but it honestly sounds like a danger zone for me. Have you had bingeing issues in the past, and been able to do that now without a problem?
    Well, for me, I always eat big meals, it's just that I only eat two of them a day.

A 'feast' day is as simple as having a third meal, of equivalent portions. And if you want a feast dessert, my go-to one is baked bananas with a piece of melted dark chocolate, swimming in cream.

No, I havn't had binging issues in the past, or at least, if I had I certainly didn't feel guilty about it Of course, I was a teeneage male at one point in my life, and back then I was capable of eating more in a meal than my entire family does now (2 adults, 3 children).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    This is a lot to take in , and if I was increasing my food that much, id have to somehow work up to it.
    The only way I can see to be able to eat more food, is to eat less fat, so I am getting more hunger.
    But that fat level AK suggested is about what I was having it at when I was using MFP, now I know its approx since not counting, so I don't know.
    No idea on my BF level, prob around 50% I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Well, for me, I always eat big meals, it's just that I only eat two of them a day.

A 'feast' day is as simple as having a third meal, of equivalent portions. And if you want a feast dessert, my go-to one is baked bananas with a piece of melted dark chocolate, swimming in cream.

No, I havn't had binging issues in the past, or at least, if I had I certainly didn't feel guilty about it Of course, I was a teeneage male at one point in my life, and back then I was capable of eating more in a meal than my entire family does now (2 adults, 3 children).
    I used to eat 2 meals, but didn't need the second, but I guess that is the BP coffee, so dropping that could help, but I would need to add most of that fat back in, so I guess id be in the same position, just eating 2 meals, instead of 1 and a BP coffee wouldn't I?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Ayla, may I ask, do you exercise? My mom was diabetic, and I was furious that the doctors never emphasized how important exercise is to a diabetic. Not heavy duty, just a 30 min walk per day can make a great deal of difference to TypeII folks.

I understand from living it, your reluctance to "feast" with issues to bingeing. But let's say you're eating around 1200 cal/day and you hit a plateau that lasts longer than 10 days. A controlled feast of 1700 calories might send a signal to your body that there is no famine, so go ahead and burn what I'm eating. (I know I'm anthropomorphizing one's body.) IOW stay primal, don't change the macro percentages that are currently keeping you from bingeing, just have a bit more food to shake things up a bit. The next day go back to eating the way you usually do.

I also believe in fasting on occasion - it doesn't have to be even on a regular basis. I love to eat. I would love to have a 15 year old boy's metabolism. I would eat big honkin' burgers with two pounds of duck fat french fries on the side as a midnight snack. Well I can't do that, but occasionally, even though it's fairly low carb, I do eat 2000 calories in a day. I try to balance those days out with one 400-600 calorie meal for the whole next day (plus coffee). Or even have a 1000 calorie day. (Because even at a thousand, 1000+2000 divided by the two days is only 1500 which isn't a bad daily intake at all.)

On the counting thing, you and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum. You don't like to count, and I feel out of control if I don't count.

Anyway, I hope you find the answers you seek.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

I still don't understand how this starvation mode has impacted me having high insulin, and Zach is saying its because of HFLC?
    So is it the reduced calories only? Or is it because I am eating HFLC? And if I was eating HFLC but more calories over all my insulin would go down, therefore id lose more weight?
    So starvation mode is causing high insulin, causing my weight loss to slow down?

Eating more calories will reduce the insulin? How?

Or do I have 2 separate issues here?
    Last edited by Ayla2010; 02-14-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    This is a lot to take in , and if I was increasing my food that much, id have to somehow work up to it.
    The only way I can see to be able to eat more food, is to eat less fat, so I am getting more hunger.
    But that fat level AK suggested is about what I was having it at when I was using MFP, now I know its approx since not counting, so I don't know.
    No idea on my BF level, prob around 50% I guess.
    Have a sports trainer calculate your bodyfat percentage using equipment designed for this instead of guessing. And then work with him or her to calculate actual pounds of lean mass on you to get protein recommendation. I would think it's probably in the 100 - 120 lb range, but that's just a guess. Get a real test to determine.

Joanie I do walk 4-5 km every night. And even though it seems like I am always on here, I am often typing a post, then doing something around my house, and I am actually mostly standing in front of the computer. I do occasionally fast for 24 hours, but haven't for a few weeks.

Zach, remember you told me to lose weight I needed to get off the computer the other day?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Have a sports trainer calculate your bodyfat percentage using equipment designed for this instead of guessing. And then work with him or her to calculate actual pounds of lens mass on you to get protein recommendation. I would think it's probably in the 100 - 120 lb range, but that's just a guess. Get a real test to determine.
    I do know where I can get a DEXA scan, I had one a while back when I first started CF. I could go and get another one to work it out I guess.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast