Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Low carb + lower fat page 3

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ayla, it seems like you are just coming back to wanting to lose weight now. There are a bunch of threads on here you can read for that.

Here's my take on it:

1. Weight loss IS about caloric restriction

2. The easiest way to eat less AND feel full is by minimising carbs (hence fat + protein). This doesn't mean cutting carbs out completely, just make them a minor part of any meal. Low Carb + Low Fat is the worst of all worlds (if actually followed, it leads to rabbit starvation).

3. The trick to not slowing your metabolism is to FEAST once a week, so your body still thinks the good times are here. The other 6 days, eat normally/sparingly/only to hunger/IF. I don't calorie count, but skipping lunch has the desired effect of reducing calories for me. This is the same as people who cut out bread and don't fully replace it with other foods. They've inadvertently reduced theor calorie intake.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 02-14-2013 at 05:40 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Yeah but whos advice do I listen to about the amount of calories and macro breakdown?
    There is so much info out there, it is hard to know which way to go to.

Counting calories and macros has not gone well for me in the past, as it has lead to many binges. I have not binged in ages, and I am terrified of going back there. Being out of control like that is awful, and I just can't do that.

Surely counting calories doesn't have to be the answer.
    No, it doesn't have to be the answer. Do I recommend it? Absolutely. Why? Because - deny it to your hearts content, if you must - but intuitive Primal eating doesn't seem to be working for you. For now, anyway.
    Would I suggest you eat non-Primal foods? Nope. There's no reason you can't count calories and eat Paleo/Primal - I sure do. Once you've gotten some healthier eating habits, ie, knowing how much you need to eat, you can stop. This is like... let's think of it as training wheels.

Let me give you some advice on calories. This is my take.
    Now, I don't know your BMR, TDEE or whatever. But this is how you start:

1g protein per lb of bodyweight.
    0.5g fat per lb bodyweight.

In my case, that's 121g protein (484kcal) and 55g fat (495kcal). These are MINIMUM.

Now, my BMR is 1400 something, my TDEE is 2000 - but I'm eating 22-2400 to gain. So, to calculate:
    2200-484-495
    =1221 remaining calories.

Those remaining calories you can fill with ANYTHING. Carbs, fats, protein - whatever you like. Want a sweet potato? Eat up! More bacon? Go for it! So long as you get minimum protein and fat requirements, fill the rest of our remaining calories wth whatever.
    Just remember to fill them.

Work out things for you the same way. Ignore MFP's calories suggestions; they're generally to extreme. Set yourself to lightly active at least (at LEAST), then deduct 10-20% off that and set that number as your goal to lose weight.

This, IMO, is the best way to go about anything. Weight loss or gain - I'm doing the very same thing, just in reverse.

Hope that this helps.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Well protein is the one component that is the least manipulable. Most people do Ok between 10-30%. Get much outside of those ranges and you have issues. There are absolutely drawbacks to going too low or too high in protein. Hence why fat and and carbs are your sources of energy. Using protein for energy is not a good plan.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 02-14-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Sorry neckhammer, I didn't mean huge amounts of protein, small handsized portions at a meal, cooked in a small amount of fat, not a lot, like now.

Angry kiwi, I am 233 lbs. Those numbers you posted are going over my head.

MM that has come back to the front of this, as I know being overweight is part of the problem, and also my concern for my son at school. I know losing weight will bring down the insulin.

Feasting once a week on what? I could try it, but it honestly sounds like a danger zone for me. Have you had bingeing issues in the past, and been able to do that now without a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    [B]1g protein per lb of bodyweight.

So 233 g of protein? Is this not a huge amount? Before when I was counting I was looking at around 60 g according to the formula used by most in the HFLC thread.
    and about 115 g of fat?
    My BMR is - 1811
    TDEE - 2806
    How did you calculate those other numbers?

Zach is offline Banned
    It is certainly your HFLC very low calorie diet that is the cause of your insulin resistance. There is no doubt in my mind. It is certainly made worse by the amount of fat you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    It is certainly your HFLC very low calorie diet that is the cause of your insulin resistance. There is no doubt in my mind. It is certainly made worse by the amount of fat you have.
    Please explain to me how in such a short amount of time.
    I need to understand this. How does fat come into it?

Please don't just post links, I need a simple explanation I can understand.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47
    1g protein per lb of bodyweight.
    Two complaints about these numbers:

1. One gram of protein per pound of LEAN bodyweight. And nobody has 0% bodyfat. The reason for this change is that protein maintains muscle and much beyond what you need to do that is kind of irrelevant. You aren't trying to use it to maintain BODYFAT, right?

2. Any sort of fat recomendation is largely moot. Eat fat. As much as you want. As long as it's within the context of the caloric intake level you are trying to reach and you are still getting adequate amounts of other nutrients.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post

1. One gram of protein per pound of LEAN bodyweight. And nobody has 0% bodyfat. The reason for this change is that protein maintains muscle and much beyond what you need to do that is kind of irrelevant. You aren't trying to use it to maintain BODYFAT, right?

2. Any sort of fat recomendation is largely moot. Eat fat. As much as you want. As long as it's within the context of the caloric intake level you are trying to reach and you are still getting adequate amounts of other nutrients.
    1: Yes, this is true. I just gave a general recommendation because most people don't know and/or miscalculate their bodyfat percentage.

2: Yes, that's why I said minimum, then fill the remainder of your calories with whatever. I'm saying that yes, you can eat carbs, so long as they fit in your calorie goal and that you get adequate fat intake.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post

How does BMR and TDEE help work out calories requirements? 1800 approx is my BMR, and 2800 approx is my TDEE, does it mean I meant to eat some where between the 2? That is a huge jump from what I am eating now.

There is too many damn numbers!! Who do I listen to? This is causing me more stress, because I don't know who is right.
    Not getting angry at anyone except myself. I should never have put myself in this position.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast